cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Advice: Nylon Ratchet Strap Tie Downs?

JohnnyPhoenix
Explorer
Explorer
tldr: Are there any legal, safety, or engineering reasons not to use a heavy duty nylon ratchet strap to tie down the front of the camper to the truck frame?

-------

My wife's grandfather just gave us a truck camper (mid-70s, 8-foot, with bed over the cab, weighs about 1200 pounds). I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra (double-cab, 6.5' bed). He gave me chains and turnbuckles along with the tie downs that bolted to his '79 Ford, but the tie downs definitely don't look like they will fit my Toyota. The best place I can find that might mount, looks like it would just be in some metal for the bed, not a solid attachment to the frame. The rear tie down mount to the bumper is super easy, so I'm not worried about that; just trying to figure out the best solution for the front mounts.

I want to be legal, and safe, and not damage my truck or the camper; but I'm also trying to not let a "free" camper spiral into hundreds of dollars in other costs just to use it.

Looking around on the interwebs, I see some pictures and videos of people just using heavy duty nylon ratchet straps. Feeding the strap between the cab and bed, and hooking right to the frame of the truck. But this doesn't seem to be an overwhelming standard, so I'm second guessing the viability. Any strong reasons you would advised against this?

Or do I just need to bite the bullet and buy new tie downs (like the HappiJac DF-TT07)?

If it matters for context, all of my camping excursions are within an hour drive of home, so I won't be trekking all over the country with this setup.
9 REPLIES 9

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I drive my truck and camper on the beach, you wouldn't believe the contraptions I've seen people using, but to answer you question In a pinch or short term yes, long term no frame mount with spring loaded tie downs is your best, Happy Jacks would be my second choice I've had both and like both
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

JohnnyPhoenix
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
BTW: If the camper was designed for a long bed truck, the center of gravity will be behind the rear axle and cause your front end to float.

Thanks for the heads-up. My wife's grandfather said that it was good with a 6-foot bed, and that he had hauled it with one for a number of years; so that wasn't too concerning. I'll keep it in mind for the loading though.

Bedlam
Trust me, keeping your beer in the cab over as counter weight is fine until it's all gone. That's a short term fix at best - Depends on how thirsty you get.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
The nylon straps will age out quickly and fatigue.

Unfortunately, quality tie down brackets and turnbuckles can cost more than a used camper. Fortunately, you can reuse them on the next camper if you stay with the same truck. If you switch trucks, the tie downs will most likely not fit but you will be able to use the same turnbuckles.

BTW: If the camper was designed for a long bed truck, the center of gravity will be behind the rear axle and cause your front end to float.If the camper was designed for a long bed truck, the center of gravity will be behind the rear axle and cause your front end to float.

That depends entirely on how you load it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Bedlam
The nylon straps will age out quickly and fatigue.

Unfortunately, quality tie down brackets and turnbuckles can cost more than a used camper. Fortunately, you can reuse them on the next camper if you stay with the same truck. If you switch trucks, the tie downs will most likely not fit but you will be able to use the same turnbuckles.

BTW: If the camper was designed for a long bed truck, the center of gravity will be behind the rear axle and cause your front end to float.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Expect the nylon to stretch, and the camper to shift back. For a good frame attachment, the strap will go across flexy, bendy, fragile, body panels. Expect body damage. You can either spend the money on tie downs or on body work.

JohnnyPhoenix
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Straps? 2010

Straps? 2012

Straps? 2014

Thanks!!

I knew I couldn't be the first to ask, but after searching and reading through pages and pages, I decided to give up and just ask my own question. Looks like I wasn't combining the search terms properly. Thanks for the assistance!!

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used them several times to bring home truck campers (I had just bought) to fix it properly.I never had an issue but I new what was what when I was driving home,not in a hurry.The last time bringing a 8.5 Lance home I used a 20K strap(I use to tie my UTV to the trailer), as you described.

When buying a used pickup camper from someone, I rarely had the setup they had and had to improvise to get home.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Straps? 2010

Straps? 2012

Straps? 2014
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter