cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need RV advice for purchasing a new one

mwodek12
Explorer
Explorer
We recently sold our 2004 Forest River Hybrid to upgrade to a fully enclosed TT or Fifth Wheel. Now the questions is what to get. I don't need a new one, but it is an option. We have 2 boys that are 4 & 7...so we have many years of camping ahead.

Our wish list includes the following:

Smooth Side
Bunks (At least 2, but more if possible)
Booth Dinette
Light to middle weight (I have a 2005 2500 HD Chevy with a gas 6.0L)
Outside kitchen
Decent storage (hybrid had very little)
Budget..........up to $20k out the door w/ a hitch

I have been looking for months now, but I just don't know the brands enough to know what is good quality & what is not. There are SOOOOO MANY different brands. We live in Michigan so we would be looking to use this RV 2-3 seasons.....May-October.

I was looking at a 2013 Shadow Cruiser 280QBS recently & love what I see as far as layout & overall looks, but after reading some topics on here, I just don't know if that is the right trailer for me with the issues people have had.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE IN ADVANCE!
23 REPLIES 23

jondrew
Explorer
Explorer
Re recently sold our 23 ft hybrid and bought the Shasta Freeport 28BHS. You can see a nice video tour of this model here: http://youtu.be/LKIdeDCXdjw

It was pretty well maintained and in decent shape. I've had to do some repairs, bought new tires and there are some overall workmanship issues that are probably common to the industry. I like the front bedroom with a "short" queen mattress (I'm 5'9" and my feet touch the wall) and the rear bunks are good for 1 or 2 kids. A fair amount of storage for a TT including the bunk side door and pass through under bed storage. 15k BTU ducted AC and a slide out bicycle/cargo shelf at the rear bumper. The bathroom is adequate, but I find the shower a bit confining. Again, this is probably commonplace in this level of RV. We looked at several used models and some ( like the Kodiak posted in this thread) look like they have slightly nicer floor plans. But this is the one that was available while we were looking, and we don't regret our choice so far. All I can say is that no matter how closely you examine an RV (new or used) there are some issues you won't find until you drive it home and use it, so keep some emergency budget on the side.

This unit was supposedly $34k new and we paid $19k and the seller threw in the WD hitch. Another $600 into it so far (new tires + misc) and we seem to be off and running.

Good luck in your search
Freeport Shasta 28BHS

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crawfordville wrote:
I don't have advice on brand and here is why. From my experience and from reading on these forms it is painfully apparent that the RV industry has a quality problem - across the board. They don't have the standards that the auto industry has in place.

So, my only advice is this:
1. Buy what you really like and think you'll get a lot of use out of over the years.
2. If you're not handy, learn to become handy.
3. Expect some issues that will need to be fixed (even if brand new).

Absolutely. However, you can get a feel for how well a particular unit is built by carefully looking at the fit and finish, inside and out. This can vary between 2 identical models sitting side by side on a dealer lot.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I think my North Trail 28BRS is a similar floorplan as the Shadow Cruiser. We love it and paid right at $21k OTD (TTL, WDH, and slide topper) brand new custom order.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mwodek12
Explorer
Explorer
Just so you all know, I am not ignoring your comments. I am just taking it all in. The more comments the better!

Thanks again! I just hope we can find the "right one" by May! We are looking forward to another year sitting around the campfire.

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Another.

http://www.kodiak-rv.com/floorplan/kodiak-express/283bhsl/
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
You will have a hard time beating the bang for the buck on the 280 but I agree they have quality issues. Check out the Sunset line.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/sunset-trail/super-lite/floorplans/item/2014-sf270bh?category_id=103
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Buying used is a good idea. Most of the time with a used unit all of the initial manufacturing quality issues have been taken care of...the bugs have been worked out. Unless you feel confident in your ability to discover possible problems, I would have a unit you are interested in buying inspected by an independant RV inspector/mechanic.

You might want to consider a toy hauler....with the boys as they grow you'll need more room for them and their toys. Great thing about the toy haulers, once you empty out the garage you end up with a flexible space. It can be used as a living area, workshop, gameroom, mancave and the boys bedroom. Some of the toyhaulers even come with a toilet and sink room (1/2 bath) in the garage area.

In the RV Parks we stay in, I see a lot of families now using toyhaulers instead of plain TT or 5th wheels.

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have advice on brand and here is why. From my experience and from reading on these forms it is painfully apparent that the RV industry has a quality problem - across the board. They don't have the standards that the auto industry has in place.

So, my only advice is this:
1. Buy what you really like and think you'll get a lot of use out of over the years.
2. If you're not handy, learn to become handy.
3. Expect some issues that will need to be fixed (even if brand new).

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Snowriver

Check out these guys. Made from an excellent manufacturer.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel