cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires for Dually

Traileraddict
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2011 F350 Dually. It is all stock with OEM General Grabber 245/75R17 on the rear. I will need to replace the rears soon. This is my first heavy truck, I have heard that Nitto is good. I have always usually stuck with OEM. Any suggestions? I tow a 35ft bumper pull 8000# loaded, as well as a 16ft Stealth Enclosed. I am in the market for a 30ft Gooseneck as well.
23 REPLIES 23

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
AKSuperDually wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
I rotated my Dually tires. Was there a reason not too?

I did inside tires to front, outside tires to inside on the opposing side and the fronts to the opposit outside back.

Thanks

What you want to avoid is changing the direction of the tire. Once tires take a lay, the belts in the sidewall shift slightly. If you change that to a reverse direction, you allow for sidewall bubbles and potential failure.

If you can rotate your wheels so that the tires don't change direction of rotation...then you're set. I couldn't do that without dismounting and remounting them on wheels. With aluminum wheels, you're stuck.

Pablum! Radials can be reversed without a problem. Offhand: any tire has a 50% chance of being reversed when it is capped...and radials have been recapped for 20+ years!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

bigg-limo
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If you have aluminum wheels like I do it is a waste of time and money to rotate dually tires. If I had all steel wheels I MIGHT rotate.

That's why I have a hard time with buying a aluminum wheels. They are stylish, but it does cost more time and money to rotate them. As far as rotation goes,…I just keep them on the same side,…front to inside rear, inside rear to outside rear, and outside rear to front. I've always had good luck with tire wear doing it that way. All of my tires have worn evenly regardless of what side they were on.

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
AKSuperDually wrote:
What you want to avoid is changing the direction of the tire. Once tires take a lay, the belts in the sidewall shift slightly. If you change that to a reverse direction, you allow for sidewall bubbles and potential failure......

Old wives tale. Even in the early days of steel belted radial tires, this was a minor - and may be fictitious - help.

But no longer true today. No tire manufacturer recommends NOT changing rotation direction (Except for directional tires)

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

I did inside tires to front, outside tires to inside on the opposing side and the fronts to the opposit outside back.

Thanks

What you want to avoid is changing the direction of the tire. Once tires take a lay, the belts in the sidewall shift slightly. If you change that to a reverse direction, you allow for sidewall bubbles and potential failure.

If you can rotate your wheels so that the tires don't change direction of rotation...then you're set. I couldn't do that without dismounting and remounting them on wheels. With aluminum wheels, you're stuck.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have aluminum wheels like I do it is a waste of time and money to rotate dually tires. If I had all steel wheels I MIGHT rotate.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thanks
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
M GO BLUE wrote:
Always best to replace all 6 tires at once...

Can you explain why?

Better to get the max life out of tires if you can. I've twice bought the fronts separate from the rears. You don't rotate dually tires, so you're never going to have uneven tread in the rear axle. Other than that...it isn't AWD, it's 4x4 and most of us only engage 4WD for a couple of minutes in a slippery section and then disengage.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Hankook has a good reputation at a reasonable price. Michelin or BF Goodrich Commercial TA are a couple of more options.

I tried Hankook on my last truck. Put around 6000 miles on them before I traded the truck in. If I would have kept the truck I would have ditched the tires - they were terrible. Loud and squishy. WAY too soft under load when towing.

Not sure what the OEM tires are on my RAM, but they are ok at 27,000 miles. I would guess they will need replacing before 50,000 miles which in my experience is average with a 3500 truck.

I will probably go with Michelin when the time comes. They get good reviews for a mainly highway tire which is what I want.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good choices made here...however check the tire for country of origin before you hand over your money...China NO.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Mad Norsky wrote:
I've got the same vehicle you have now, but got mine new.

Also has the OEM General Grabber HTS tires on it. My fronts are wearing faster than the rears, but only 22,000 some odd miles on the vehicle.

I find these front tires to cup badly. Tried rotation (side to side in front) and re-balancing, which has helped a little.

Rear tires are wearing really nicely.

It may be the Alcoa wheels,(factory OEM's on my King Ranch version) but the fronts on mine are real good at loosing air pressure. Try to keep them around 65, but if left on their own for any amount of time, its back down to the 52 PSI range. No leaks found, valve stems seems good, so wheels are left right now as the culprit.

Because of cupping fronts, I have also been looking for tires.

Right now I am leaning towards the Nitto Crossteks in the 245/75/17 sizes.

OE tires on my Ram were General Ameritrack P O S tires. They were cupped within a couple thousand miles. One front tire developed a separation under the tread at 25K and were 2/3 worn out. I dumped them and went with the Michelin MS2's and they have worn very little and evenly in 16K.

You are running too low of pressure on the front tires. The edges will be gone in no time. I run 80 on my fronts with even wear and 45 rear empty and 60 with 4,500# load.

I really doubt the wheels are the problem. If they were Chicom maybe but Alcoa is top quality.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I like the BFGs that are on my dually, but expensive! I have street tread Coopers on my other dually and love them, just not much traction off road. Firestone Transforce tires are very good for the price. I use them on my Excursion, but lots around here use them on duallies. It all boils down to what type tread pattern you are looking for. Good luck in your search.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the same vehicle you have now, but got mine new.

Also has the OEM General Grabber HTS tires on it. My fronts are wearing faster than the rears, but only 22,000 some odd miles on the vehicle.

I find these front tires to cup badly. Tried rotation (side to side in front) and re-balancing, which has helped a little.

Rear tires are wearing really nicely.

It may be the Alcoa wheels,(factory OEM's on my King Ranch version) but the fronts on mine are real good at loosing air pressure. Try to keep them around 65, but if left on their own for any amount of time, its back down to the 52 PSI range. No leaks found, valve stems seems good, so wheels are left right now as the culprit.

Because of cupping fronts, I have also been looking for tires.

Right now I am leaning towards the Nitto Crossteks in the 245/75/17 sizes.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Traileraddict
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. I am a new user and you have given me a lot to look at. Lowsuv, I have the issue of CR and will become a student.
Thanks

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
although i have 60,000 miles on my Michelin LTX 265/75R16 load range E I believe that I will have to consider :
Bridgestone Duravis R 500
That particular tire is a heavier tire and the actual reviews for heavy duty use has placed that particular tire at the top .
You could pick up a copy of the November Consumer Reports in hard copy or at the library and gain some knowledge there .
tire rack dot com has a wealth of information available and one can do a search for the specific size to compare prices , weights , load carrying capacities , and user reviews .
become a student ; it will be worth your while.