Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice, gearing/fuel mileage.

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey

I know we have a big thread on fuel mileage going. I’m considering a 2020 Ram 3500 Crew Cab with the HO Cummins/Aisin and it has the 4.10 gears and it’s a dually. On a test drive it appeared to be doing around 2000 rpm at 70 mph.

My 2018 3500 is a SRW SB with the HO Aisin and it gets 18-20 in mixed driving and 11 mpg towing my 14,500 lb fifth wheel with the 3.42 gears.

Looks like these sales guys are ordering 4.10’s on everything but I could go w 3.73 gears and hopefully some better fuel mileage.

I tow usually around 65-68 mph. Like I said any ideas on the fuel mileage for this new truck? I live in Ohio and I try to generally stay within the speed limits.
47 REPLIES 47

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two DRW trucks with a 4.10 gears and my 12 DRW has 3.73 gears and I am really liking them. They handle my 15KRV fine in the Colorado mountains and they are great for my occasional unloaded highway trips. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Yessir it was a compliment.

Don’t get talkin about ‘spensive fuel too much. Some here get pretty triggered over it!!
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
otrfun wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
According to the BSFC map for the 6.7 Cummins that Shiner posted on another thread the 3.42 pulling in 5th vs 4.10 in sixth yield very similar MPG while towing. 3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed. Again, according to the same BSFC map, towing with 3.73 gears at 65 mph should offer a slight advantage in MPG over either 3.42's or 4.10's. Empty the 3.73 will fall half way between 3.42's and 4.10's . . .
"3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed" vs. a 4.10. Interesting. Not what I've experienced.

Are you making these observations based on BSFC maps of the crankshaft output of a Cummins in conjunction with gearing charts?

Or, are your observations based on BSFC maps formulated and based on on-the-road tests of production-ready, OEM Ram trucks? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing these. Could you supply a link? Thanks.

Like I said, my numbers are based off the BSFC map that Shiner had posted. I just got back from making 2 highway trips where I was able to set the cruise at 45 mph and drive uninterrupted for both trips. The first round trip was performed in 6th gear at about 1100 rpm and the truck got 28.3 mpg. The second trip was performed in 5th gear at about 1400 rpm where it got 25.3 mpg. I would challenge you to do something similar with your Ram ..... I'd be absolutely amazed if the Cummins engine doesn't give very similar results.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yessir it was a compliment.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MFL wrote:
MikeRP wrote:

Escalades are one of the best values on the used market. In three years that $90000 Caddy will be worth $35,000. It can run 300000 miles also but it won’t do that with the first owner. I’d bet 90% of those first owners never see 100,000 miles.

I am a low miles guy. I have purchased quite a few new vehicles. I have never put 50K on any of them. I have only replaced the tires on one vehicle, at 48K, and traded it shortly after. I have a long time family friend, that owns 2 Ford dealerships, a Ram/Jeep dealership, and a Chevrolet dealership. The farthest is 100 miles from me. He and his two sons, own/operate these businesses. They give me a family friend discount, on new vehicle, as well as a more than fair trade on my used. I normally own a car, SUV, and a truck, so mileage is spread out.

I've never worried about mpg, and usually use non-ethanol premium in my truck, always when towing heavy. I do notice the mileage on the display, but never calculate otherwise.

All above, just my experience, doesn't mean I'm doing things right!

Jerry

A true radical!

Well...this can be taken several ways! Coming from a person with similar convictions, likely a compliment!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
MikeRP wrote:

Escalades are one of the best values on the used market. In three years that $90000 Caddy will be worth $35,000. It can run 300000 miles also but it won’t do that with the first owner. I’d bet 90% of those first owners never see 100,000 miles.

I am a low miles guy. I have purchased quite a few new vehicles. I have never put 50K on any of them. I have only replaced the tires on one vehicle, at 48K, and traded it shortly after. I have a long time family friend, that owns 2 Ford dealerships, a Ram/Jeep dealership, and a Chevrolet dealership. The farthest is 100 miles from me. He and his two sons, own/operate these businesses. They give me a family friend discount, on new vehicle, as well as a more than fair trade on my used. I normally own a car, SUV, and a truck, so mileage is spread out.

I've never worried about mpg, and usually use non-ethanol premium in my truck, always when towing heavy. I do notice the mileage on the display, but never calculate otherwise.

Jerry

A true radical!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
MikeRP wrote:

Jerry

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I am. Personally I don't go through any more fuel than the average bear."

Same here. Amazing tho how many people trip over nickels!!!

Yup, they forget totally about functionality and reliability. So it cost me $3-4 more bucks to get somewhere towing. Big deal, I can do with out that starbucks anyway. If it is that important to someone, cut your speed down, gear it right, and move on.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
otrfun wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
According to the BSFC map for the 6.7 Cummins that Shiner posted on another thread the 3.42 pulling in 5th vs 4.10 in sixth yield very similar MPG while towing. 3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed. Again, according to the same BSFC map, towing with 3.73 gears at 65 mph should offer a slight advantage in MPG over either 3.42's or 4.10's. Empty the 3.73 will fall half way between 3.42's and 4.10's . . .
"3.42's should yield close to 10% better fuel economy while running empty at virtually any highway speed" vs. a 4.10. Interesting. Not what I've experienced.

Are you making these observations based on BSFC maps of the crankshaft output of a Cummins in conjunction with gearing charts?

Or, are your observations based on BSFC maps formulated and based on on-the-road tests of production-ready, OEM Ram trucks? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing these. Could you supply a link? Thanks.

Like I said, my numbers are based off the BSFC map that Shiner had posted. I just got back from making 2 highway trips where I was able to set the cruise at 45 mph and drive uninterrupted for both trips. The first round trip was performed in 6th gear at about 1100 rpm and the truck got 28.3 mpg. The second trip was performed in 5th gear at about 1400 rpm where it got 25.3 mpg. I would challenge you to do something similar with your Ram ..... I'd be absolutely amazed if the Cummins engine doesn't give very similar results.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Decide where in the RPM range you will spend the most time towing and running empty or not towing

Then decide which of the two is more important

Then get the HP/torque curve & final hearing to pavement for your ICE.

The lowest RPM for the HP you will need for the above will tell you what diff ratio best suits your desires
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Yeah, and how they are more than willing to spend dollars elsewhere!

Like how my wife's cousin who thought it was stupid for me to spend money on modifying my truck yet just spent over $90k on a new top of the line Escalade. Total cost of my truck and mods are no where near $90k and I am keeping mine for at least 300k miles while he is probably going to keep his for maybe 100k.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Yeah, and how they are more than willing to spend dollars elsewhere!

Like how my wife's cousin who thought it was stupid for me to spend money on modifying my truck yet just spent over $90k on a new top of the line Escalade. Total cost of my truck and mods are no where near $90k and I am keeping mine for at least 300k miles while he is probably going to keep his for maybe 100k.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
"Pulling a trailer in Cali is extremely frustrating."

That's you, KSSS. 55 mph is safer...you see more...you save on gasoline.

Yeah...except no.
- Safest is when traffic is all going at about the same speed. Running 20mph below average you are a rolling roadblock that will tend to cause more accidents.
- 55 vs 60-65...if I want to see something, I pull off and look.
- I actually get better MPG as 60-65 vs 55. The combination of engine and transmission is operating with enough extra efficiency to overcome the increase in wind drag.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV