cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need truck guidance - Short bed pickup for slide-in?

nipster
Explorer
Explorer
I got out of RV'ing about 15 years ago due to financial issues, I had an older Coachman slide-in and my vehicle was a 1996 F350 crew cab with 7.3 diesel. Great rig. Due to circumstances out of my control, I had to sell it all. I am back on my feet, and have the itch again. I currently drive a F-150 long bed with the max tow package and air bags, borrowed a buddy's slide-in to feel out whether or not my truck is going to cut it, and it isnt happening.

So I am in the market for a truck. I live in a community that will not allow me to park my truck in the driveway (I know...), so I need something that will fit in my garage. My F150 barely fits, I measured and a F250 SuperCab shortbed will fit.

My question is, I will probably be buying a used slide-in of some kind, is it ok to buy a normal one and just have it stick off the end of the bed a little? Or will this cause damage. I did a little looking and it seems they make specific units for short beds, but I think that would limit me in the long run.

Need recommendations, thanks.
25 REPLIES 25

Bedlam
OBSPowerstroke wrote:
My F250 extended cab short bed just barely squeezes into my standard garage height wise:

I have taken measurements, and a long bed extended cab would still just fit inside, but I prefer the looks of short beds and would likely opt for a crew cab over a long bed; I definitely wouldn't be happy with just a standard cab. If I had the taller axle blocks of an F350, I don't think it would make it through the door, even without the rack!

Your '96 sits lower than my '05 with 33" tall tires. The clearance you have with your rack is what I have without.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
OBSPowerstroke wrote:
My antenna hits the door every time, but somehow the rack just barely clears.

There are several sizes of antennas available for $20 or less that can fix that. 🙂 I got the idea for my Mustang that looked strange with a long antenna, but it works equally as well for a truck.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
jamminalong wrote:
Here's the rest of his post.... Daily Driver!

Thanks, but I had already read that his original thought was daily driver, but that doesn't mean it really has to be a daily driver. It all depends on how often he needs the truck.

Of course, more than one of us here have trucks that are somewhat dedicated to truck campers but also occasionally see other use. My previous truck a SRW was a daily driver until it was too big as well. At that point, I had to consider if it made sense to go bigger for more capability or not.

Ultimately, chosing a truck just depends on what compromise you want to make. At least, until we can get trucks that have specs that change given our needs. 🙂 In any case, it would be easier to decide now than later.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The rear axle blocks are 2" taller on the F350 verses the F250. My cab is just under 7' tall, but would require a shorter antenna or the hassle of removing it each time to fit in a standard garage. I do fit at the local automatic car washes without the TC. With the TC, I am too tall to even clear the 12' coin-op stalls.

My F250 extended cab short bed just barely squeezes into my standard garage height wise:

My antenna hits the door every time, but somehow the rack just barely clears. The antenna also smacks the piping and supports in most parking garages around town. I've been meaning to source a shorter one, but it's not very high on my priority list.

I have taken measurements, and a long bed extended cab would still just fit inside, but I prefer the looks of short beds and would likely opt for a crew cab over a long bed; I definitely wouldn't be happy with just a standard cab. If I had the taller axle blocks of an F350, I don't think it would make it through the door, even without the rack!
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
nipster wrote:
My brother lives on 10 acres

I don't know if you've considered it but have you thought about storing the truck there as well. That would give you lots of other options with the ability to pick up the truck when you need it, and also allow you more truck choices including older ones since the truck won't be getting nearly as many miles.

Here's the rest of his post.... Daily Driver!

nipster wrote:

My brother lives on 10 acres, I will store the slide-in there.

My truck will be a daily driver.

I agree with jefe4x4. There are lots of short bed TC's out there and people who like them. You don't always need the biggest truck or biggest TC to get the job done.

I read what you wrote... big truck won't fit in garage, need truck as daily driver (me too) and you're not moving to make a bigger truck/tc work. Good Luck in the hunt. They're out there.

By the way, I have the sister camper to jefe4x4. Couple weeks apart on the assembly line.
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
nipster wrote:
My brother lives on 10 acres

I don't know if you've considered it but have you thought about storing the truck there as well. That would give you lots of other options with the ability to pick up the truck when you need it, and also allow you more truck choices including older ones since the truck won't be getting nearly as many miles.

svjim
Explorer
Explorer
eagle777 wrote:
if you have a adventurer dealer in the area check out the 86fb designed for both sb and lb. I mount it on my gmc 2500hd sb and no problems.

The Adventurer 86SBS is also designed for long bed and short bed trucks. In the short bed version, there is an additional storage compartment in the rear overhang where a generator can be installed if desired. The dinette is U shaped and there is some very nice outside storage behind the back of the dinette. There really is quite a bit of storage when you consider the basement storage, generator, and back dinette storage.

Basement 19 x 43 x 10.5
Dinette (outside) 18.5 x 65 x 13.5
generator ? I don't have that measurement

Jim
2014 Adventurer 86SBS
1999 F250 HD 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
Bilstein Shocks,Timbrens
Hellwig Big Wig Anti-Sway bars

bens170
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility is a pop up truck camper, just depends what you are looking for. Truck Camper Magazine is a good source of information. I hope that you find what your looking for.
Ben

wjkdan
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2500hd chev crew cab with northstar 850SC pop up which can be used on short bed or long bed trucks. handles good and no problems. bed 6.5 feet. camper has two small storage compartments at back which if put on long bed truck they would have to come off. love the set up but being 71 thinking about going to dark side and get small motor home. Wife keeps telling me not to do it. Anyway good luck, pick out camper you want then truck which will handle it. there are campers which will go on 1500 trucks. I know they say mine will go on 1500's but as much stuff as I take with me wouldn't want to try it. Oh yes good to see you back on your feet again.

eagle777
Explorer
Explorer
if you have a adventurer dealer in the area check out the 86fb designed for both sb and lb. I mount it on my gmc 2500hd sb and no problems.
jack
Manteca, ca

nipster
Explorer
Explorer
NMace wrote:
What are going to do with the camper when your truck is in the garage? Can you also store the truck there? Or is it a daily driver?

There are a good many campers for the 6.5 beds, not many for the 5.5s.

Good luck.

My brother lives on 10 acres, I will store the slide-in there.

My truck will be a daily driver.

Bedlam
The rear axle blocks are 2" taller on the F350 verses the F250. My cab is just under 7' tall, but would require a shorter antenna or the hassle of removing it each time to fit in a standard garage. I do fit at the local automatic car washes without the TC. With the TC, I am too tall to even clear the 12' coin-op stalls.

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my F-350 Super Cab 4X4 Short bed with a Wolf Creek 850. The truck is to tall to go in my garage.....and that's without the camper! 😄 It does have the clearance lights, snow plow prep and camper packages. Chosen for the smaller turning radius and generous payload of 4150 lbs among other things.

Double check the height differences between the F-350 and F-250, if I recall correctly the axle blocks are taller on the F-350 or it is the difference between 4X2 an 4X4 and not F-250 vs. F-350.
2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L

Bedlam
When I bought my SB F250, I was towing a bumper pull TH and also had short driveway issues which limited me to a standard cab LB or extended cab SB. After having both types of cabs, I would not go back to a standard cab. If it wasn't for the short driveway, I would have chosen the LB extended cab to get the larger fuel tank (greater range). In hindsight, I had less TC choices with my SB, but I also had a couple hundred pounds less weight with the smaller bed which went to payload.

Speaking of payload: Unless you plan to tow more than 5000 lbs behind your truck, get the gasoline engine. The reduced weight will go to your payload.

Overall, I am under 22' with the the TC and 45' with the enclosed trailer in tow. I am over GVWR but under axle capacities - I have upgraded the wheels and suspension so it handles the weight well. With my setup these upgrades would have been required with a F250 or F350 SRW, so choosing the lower GVWR model still saved me some money.

When you are looking for your truck, definitely choose the heavier suspension and anti-sway bars offered with the camper package. If you know you will upgrade the wheels to 19.5", get the least expensive steel wheels and sell them off to recover some costs.