cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never thought I'd be asking this question ... but?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The time has come for us to start considering a new tow vehicle. So, asking for your thoughts.

We currently have a 3500 Chevy diesel. Nothing is wrong with the truck, except it's aging. The body is showing signs of wear (fiberglass cracks) and rust beginning for form at the bottom of the door. I've checked with a couple body shops and they both seem to agree it's not worth fixing. I think it is, but they don't want to be liable when rust begins for form again.

Our work situation is changing also. We were considering getting a 3rd vehicle, a small car, but we both think replacing the truck makes better sense, and having only 2 vehicles.

So. Here's what I'd prefer to do, but do value everyone's opinion. I'm not asking for a tow vehicle war (well, maybe I am), just your thoughts, what's good, what's not so good?

I'd like to stay with a 3500 Chevy Diesel Dually 4 full door, 8 foot long bed and go brand new? (what can I expect from today's models and why is a different brand better) ...

So .... what's your thoughts? Let the "war" begin!
49 REPLIES 49

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:

If you have been "VERY" satisfied with "a" particular brand why would you switch over a price difference that could really be negligible?
This is something you will probably have for 5 to 10 yrs so even an extra couple thou is only $16 - $33 a month

I pay cash for my vehicles so I have to save, and when I bought my GM diesel I paid 35k OTD, brand new, not one single ford or dodge dealership would even come close to this price on their diesels trucks they added 6-8k on top of my price, that is the only reason I bought it, I needed a diesel because the 2004 2500HD gasser would not cut it towing, I wanted to keep the 1999 F250 /7.3 but car seats were filling up the back of the extra cab, and the crew was my only option
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
jevanb wrote:
when I look at a new truck it will be GM unless ford or dodge can get the price the same, the best truck and cars I have ever owned are fords. aka..99SD7.3, 5.0 mustangs, 79 f100

I do find this a bit confusing?
You could change the brand names around so its not a mine is better than your brand comment I am making.

If you have been "VERY" satisfied with "a" particular brand why would you switch over a price difference that could really be negligible?
This is something you will probably have for 5 to 10 yrs so even an extra couple thou is only $16 - $33 a month

And it sounds like GM is the highest right now anyway.. :h
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
the only reason I buy GM is the employee discount, union discount, repeat buyer... wife's step father is 38 years retired GM from the flint plants and he owns a ford diesel, and her dad is 40 years GM retired flint eng plant, and owns a dodge diesel, when I look at a new truck it will be GM unless ford or dodge can get the price the same, the best truck and cars I have ever owned are fords. aka..99SD7.3, 5.0 mustangs, 79 f100
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sounds like you did good, enjoy your new ride!

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck, it's a beauty!
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy is a Huge Chevrolet fan I just cannot give them any more of my money. I had a Chevrolet truck that I got the lemon law on and another Chevrolet car that I got frustrated with and sold that piece of chit. Done with Chevy for my lifetime. Everyone has their own experiences and that's what makes the world go around.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
parkersdad,

"Actually I've always been told old men drive GM trucks."

May be some truth to your statement because with age comes "wisdom". Like having been fooled before and now are much smarter! Some people simply have to learn the hard way since when they were younger they thought they knew it all. Having owned the offbreeds and then got smarter and now own the best breed!

Congrats DutchmenSport! You have experienced exactly what I had posted about with resale values. Only $4000 depreciation for 8 years use and 100,000+ miles says it so much better than I could have! You and your wife have seen it with your own eyes and in black and white! Lesson learned, you get an A+...
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice looking truck Congrats and enjoy!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Mote wrote:
Nice truck DutchmenSport, I'm sure you'll love driving that new truck around. Did you get that in Anderson? My son goes to college there. When we go to visit I usually cruise thru the Chevy dealer there.

Yes - Anderson, IN. Ed Martin Chevrolet, corner of Scatterfield and 53rd Street.

We'll be up there on the 5th of April for a track meet. I'll stop by the dealer to see if they still have your old truck. I might be interested in buying that one.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
Nice truck DutchmenSport, I'm sure you'll love driving that new truck around. Did you get that in Anderson? My son goes to college there. When we go to visit I usually cruise thru the Chevy dealer there.

Yes - Anderson, IN. Ed Martin Chevrolet, corner of Scatterfield and 53rd Street.

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
Ric Flair wrote:
rottidawg wrote:
travelnutz wrote:

You can instantly see the real class and debonaire difference with GM truck owners in any crowd. So cheerful and happy!

Thank you very much Mr. Nutz, I very much appreciate the compliment!
Class, debonaire, cheerful and happy is me....OP your course of action is clear.
Congrats on your new Chevy!

GM owners just smell better. They also seem to garner a unique level of extra attention from the ladies. Whether its appreciation or desire, women inherently understand that real men drive GM trucks.

The facts are clear, the issue is resolved. Lock the thread.

Actually I've always been told old men drive GM trucks.:D

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Nice truck!

Good for you! Enjoy the new ride!
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

RVBlade
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new truck. I'm sure it'll give you many years of great service!! Enjoy!
2005 Ford F350 CC Lariat DRW
2012 Sanibel 3400
DW & DS (10)
Ceaser (our 140 lb Bull Mastiff) & Sake' (our 135 lb Akita)