cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new 2 me 1977 prowler i know nothing

bschoolz
Explorer
Explorer
i just picked up a 77 prowler im putting it on my land with no power my 1st ? is can i use a battery to run the lights and water thanks for any help also how do you fire up the furnace
18 REPLIES 18

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
The CO detectors are a great idea they weren't used in RVs back in 1977 nor used till the 1990s.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
bschoolz wrote:
i think in just going to buy a vent free heater

Get two CO detectors in that case. Also, remember to crack open a couple of windows.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Wow that rig looks clean as a whistle,enjoy it.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
bschoolz wrote:
i just picked up a 77 prowler im putting it on my land with no power my 1st ? is can i use a battery to run the lights and water thanks for any help also how do you fire up the furnace

Read up on battery maintenance. Don't discharge the battery(s) below 12.0v (50%) so as not to shorten the life. Use a good quality charger/converter to make maintaining them easy. Maybe install solar to charge them up when you're not there or take the batteries home with you to charge.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
A 77 Prowler (owned one!!!) should have radiant/non ducted heater without a t-stat. If it is still good, no rust out, should be ok. BUT, what has been mentioned, get a CO and a smoke detector to be safe. Lights, water pump will be 12v. The heater should not require anything but propane to operate.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and by the way, you can buy inexpensive LED replacement bulbs from ebay and various sources that consume much less power while giving off a nice bright light.
If you are in a situation where you need to maximize your battery life, its something to consider!

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to be in pretty nice shape for the year!
Yes your lights, water pump and furnace will all run from a 12v battery. The furnace will suck the battery down quick, the lights and water pump will run for days.
It's not recommended to run an unvented heater in a RV, such a small enclosed area can be overtaken by carbon monoxide very quickly.

The furnace may be operable, but I would approach with caution, checking for gas and any exhaust or heat exchanger cracks/leaks.
And as others said, definitely a proper working co detector! (I bought a combination gas leak/co detector for my TT)

ncwelder88
Explorer
Explorer
i bought a truck from ron about 10 years ago and that was the best used car dealer i have ever delt with! sorry to hijack just wanted to mention that!

bschoolz
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.ronsusedcars.com/windowsticker.php?vehicle=789510&1977%20PROWLER%20TAG%20A%20LONG

bschoolz
Explorer
Explorer

bschoolz
Explorer
Explorer
i think in just going to buy a vent free heater

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, ^^what they said^^. Get the CO detector and do a test run with the furnace first. Or take it to someone who can properly inspect it. You are playing Russian roulette with that furnace if you don't have it looked at.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Don't spend a night in it with the furnace running without a CO detector.

Wait,
Don't spend a night in it with the furnace running without a CO detector!!!!!!!

WHAT he Said... almost 40 year old furnace.. even if camper is DRY.. rust could have eaten the heat chamber.
camper furnace is built very light weight.. not like a Home unit.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't spend a night in it with the furnace running without a CO detector.

Wait,
Don't spend a night in it with the furnace running without a CO detector!!!!!!!