cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New f350 with the exhaust brake button

rtaylor0830
Explorer
Explorer
I am confused is this a button you push when you want the exhaust brake to kick in or do you leave it on while towing. I do not have the truck yet, just been reading up on them.
6 REPLIES 6

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Do you still have to remove the cab from the chassis to do maintenance on the rear of the engine?

Wow, sorta like the 'drive by' Media.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

06Fargo wrote:
Do you still have to remove the cab from the chassis to do maintenance on the rear of the engine?

?????
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow haul raises the shift speeds. Engine brake on Ford closes the vanes on the turbo to cause back pressure. Ford does not have a valve in the exhaust line as some have had in the past. On my 2012 F-350 both features work at the same time when the tow haul button on the end of the shift is pushed. Separating it into two buttons was a VERY common suggestion, so Ford did it. The change in the 2015 turbo makes exhaust braking through vane control more effective in addition to supplying more air to compete better in mountain climbing contests. Some folks like the higher shift points without engine brakeโ€”with two buttons, now you can choose which one or both functions that you want to activate. If the engine brake button is on, the computer will decide when it thinks you want more brake effect and close the vanes. On the 2012, the computer will down shift and close vanes in an attempt to hold speed on a steep decent.

rtaylor0830 wrote:
I am confused is this a button you push when you want the exhaust brake to kick in or do you leave it on while towing. I do not have the truck yet, just been reading up on them.

I leave mine on all the time during towing... It really does a good job.... As soon as you let off the pedal , it engages... Nice addition ...I think you will like it
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
You leave it on and it will come on when you let off the gas. IDK about the Fords but my Ram works good but different in normal and tow/haul mode. It is more aggressive in tow haul model.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.