cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Maxxis tires are 2 years old???

pickjare
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I enjoy reading topics on this forum and have learned a lot from you guys. This is my first post. With all the controversy of ST tires vs. LT tires, I decided to buy what many think are the best ST tires available since LT aren't an option in my size. I ordered 4 ST205/75R15 Maxxis M8008 tires from Summit Racing (a reputable company that was first to come up with google search) and got them today. I want to have the best experience with them. Checking them over, I found the last 4 digits of DOT # is "1314." They seem to be in brand new condition--must have been sitting around. So it appears they were made over 2 years ago, I'll call them tomorrow, but should I be concerned about this?
70 REPLIES 70

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
flguppie wrote:
OK, update......I had the Firestone LT tires installed yesterday and they look great + the hour drive home was great. No problems at highway speeds. I even noticed when we got home that they didn't flex and sidewall lean like the ST tires did when turning and backing up the hill. Stronger. After some long trips I can report back more. They are made in Costa Rica.

Firestone CV3000 LT 195-75R14 8 ply load range D 2095lbs @65psi.

Thanks for the followup. And yes, you have found out, as most of us that have used both ST and LT on the same trailer, that LT are sturdier in the sidewall. Good point.

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
Do they make them in a 15" ?
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
OK, update......I had the Firestone LT tires installed yesterday and they look great + the hour drive home was great. No problems at highway speeds. I even noticed when we got home that they didn't flex and sidewall lean like the ST tires did when turning and backing up the hill. Stronger. After some long trips I can report back more. They are made in Costa Rica.

Firestone CV3000 LT 195-75R14 8 ply load range D 2095lbs @65psi.

FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
flguppie wrote:
...snip

It's a CV 3000 LT tire by Firestone. Specs on the tire were 2180 lbs at 65psi. Class D - 8 ply. According to the truck tire dealer, it is a European tire (or should I say tyre) that is sold overseas for light trucks where harsher roads are a problem. The truck tire dealer (they mainly deal in semi trucks) got them for RVs and the RV dealer recommended I go to them for my replacement tires. He said they were good to deal with, so I went and saw the tires on Thursday and the date code was; something...2015 (I can't remember the month). I've tried to locate the tires online with limited success with some info from overseas tire dealers. I wish I had more info. I think I will try them. I have an appt. for Tuesday to have them balanced and installed. Total price installed and out the door (tax included) was $504. For 4 tires.

That's great to hear we have another potential 14". Thanks for posting and please post a followup report. Price certainly sounds fair.

EDIT: yep good find. A little internet searching finds that in the UK it competes in the same market as tires ( tyres ! ) such as the Hankook RA08, the Kumho 857 and apparently over there, the Conti Vanco2 is still in production. Among others.

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
flguppie wrote:
....snip....

Both the dealer and the tire store recommended LT195-75-14 (load D 2180lb-8ply) tires from Firestone. They will put them on, on Tuesday.

....snip.....

Heck, I'm just curious what specific tire this is from Firestone ? Do you have a model name for this tire ?

It would be good to add one more potential quality tire available in the popular 14" size, whenever this discussion comes up.

It's a CV 3000 LT tire by Firestone. Specs on the tire were 2180 lbs at 65psi. Class D - 8 ply. According to the truck tire dealer, it is a European tire (or should I say tyre) that is sold overseas for light trucks where harsher roads are a problem. The truck tire dealer (they mainly deal in semi trucks) got them for RVs and the RV dealer recommended I go to them for my replacement tires. He said they were good to deal with, so I went and saw the tires on Thursday and the date code was; something...2015 (I can't remember the month). I've tried to locate the tires online with limited success with some info from overseas tire dealers. I wish I had more info. I think I will try them. I have an appt. for Tuesday to have them balanced and installed. Total price installed and out the door (tax included) was $504. For 4 tires.
2024 Grand Design 22MLE

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
flguppie wrote:
....snip....

Both the dealer and the tire store recommended LT195-75-14 (load D 2180lb-8ply) tires from Firestone. They will put them on, on Tuesday.

....snip.....

Heck, I'm just curious what specific tire this is from Firestone ? Do you have a model name for this tire ?

It would be good to add one more potential quality tire available in the popular 14" size, whenever this discussion comes up.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntindog wrote:
flguppie wrote:
I'm in need of new tires too. My ST205-75-14 (load C 1760lb-6ply) are due for replacement. Both the dealer and the tire store recommended LT195-75-14 (load D 2180lb-8ply) tires from Firestone. They will put them on, on Tuesday.

Question: my spare will still be the st2057514. Will that be a problem as a spare? Size shouldn't be that different. Is it?

TT in signature is 6000gvwr and 4 tires.
It will work fine as a spare.

Hey... You and I agree! :B
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
flguppie wrote:
I'm in need of new tires too. My ST205-75-14 (load C 1760lb-6ply) are due for replacement. Both the dealer and the tire store recommended LT195-75-14 (load D 2180lb-8ply) tires from Firestone. They will put them on, on Tuesday.

Question: my spare will still be the st2057514. Will that be a problem as a spare? Size shouldn't be that different. Is it?

It will work fine as a spare.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer

2024 Grand Design 22MLE

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:
I belive in my Province it is illegal to use LT tires on tandem axles.
People can believe many things.
Some believe in leprechans.
Some believe in fairys,
Some believe in various forms of marketing.

Believing in something doesn't make it a fact.

Everyone has to believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Westcoasting wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Enforced by who?

LOL....guess all those tandem/triaxle GN equipment/flatdeck/stock/enclosed/cargo trailers along with RV trailers that all came OEM with LT tires that are on the road in that province are illegal.

I see claims like that on RV websites here in the states. No one has ever come up with a link to a credible source for that statement or come up with a actual state/province coded regulation stating such.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Of course, the main reason tires come apart, is due to running them flat.

Happens to LT's as well as ST's no matter their country of origin.
There have been reports here, with pics of STs exploding while parked! At least one was the spare.

Surprisingly, not too uncommon for ANY tire. I search in this forum and found nothing (not saying there isn't anything, my search could have been flawed). I searched OUTSIDE this forum for "st tire exploding while parked" and was returned all kinds of hits including Porsche, trucks, vans, etc. I sincerely doubt they were running ST tires on these vehicles. Care to try again?
Sure. As you know, the search here is problematic. I often have a hard time even finding some of MY old posts.

But what has been reported here is true,,, and some of these tires had never been on the ground. Unused tires that were not very old either.
So I doubt you will find very many people that have been around awhile that will dispute this.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
Tequila wrote:

Enforced by who?

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
What came first, the chicken or the egg?
I refer to my four blowouts but they never actually blew... The tread/ tire separated and they went flat. on one of them there was a large flap of tire spinning around but luckily caused only a bit of cosmetic damage.