cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New member and new to travel trailers. Need advice

Campsask
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! been reading this forum for awhile and decided to join up.

Our family have been camping for the last 5 years with a Jayco 1206 pop up and while enjoying it it is time to make the switch to a TT.

We went to our local rv show yesterday and seen a lot of trailers but the one that we liked was the 2014 Tracer 250AIR by prime time manufacturing. From what the sales man was saying it seems like a really well built trailer and for a 28 ft overall trailer it was light(4900). Does anybody have experience with the tracers? Whats the word on them and Prime Time?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Campsask
Explorer
Explorer
spadoctor wrote:
in answer to your question about moving the tv...yes and no. In laminated construction they install a backer (usually a piece of sheet metal) in the location where they plan on a tv being mounted..at the time it is built. This makes it difficult to mount it elsewhere as the walls will not have regular stud spacing. If you are mounting it on an INTERIOR wall you can usually find a stud for the anchor screws. As for overall quality....its average. Took a factory tour and it was average build...not bad but nothing outstanding either. If you like it I would go for it.

So just for comparison what brands do you think have above average build quality? We looked at a lot of trailers and these were one of the highest that were less than 25g.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
in answer to your question about moving the tv...yes and no. In laminated construction they install a backer (usually a piece of sheet metal) in the location where they plan on a tv being mounted..at the time it is built. This makes it difficult to mount it elsewhere as the walls will not have regular stud spacing. If you are mounting it on an INTERIOR wall you can usually find a stud for the anchor screws. As for overall quality....its average. Took a factory tour and it was average build...not bad but nothing outstanding either. If you like it I would go for it.

Campsask
Explorer
Explorer
Also another one that we interested in was the Cougar Link 260rb. Pretty much the same but the kitchen in on other side. Wife liked the tracer because it seemed to have more storage.

sask934
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Jayco Flight 33RLDS From Traveland RV.

Campsask
Explorer
Explorer
sask934 wrote:
Campsask wrote:

Our family have been camping for the last 5 years with a Jayco 1206 pop up and while enjoying it it is time to make the switch to a TT.

We went to our local rv show yesterday and seen a lot of trailers but the one that we liked was the 2014 Tracer 250AIR by prime time manufacturing. From what the sales man was saying it seems like a really well built trailer and for a 28 ft overall trailer it was light(4900). Does anybody have experience with the tracers? Whats the word on them and Prime Time?

Thanks

Welcome from another Regina poster who just bought at the same show.

Do a lot of research before buying....I'm no expert but I spent 6 months looking at different units and researched all the manufactures.

Good Luck...

Thanks for the welcome! If you don't mind me asking, what did you buy and from which dealer?

Campsask
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
More than likely, the manufacturing of the camper you're looking at is about as good as any other. Pretty much, (I think), they are all made just about equal. There's only so much they can do to an RV, after than everything else is just for "looks".

Considering this is the first camper you found a strong interest in, be advised you most likely will go through at least 3 trailers, eventually move to a 5er, and then potentially move to a MH someday. As your needs and family dynamics change, so does your RV needs. Expect to change RV about every 5 years or less, and remember, what works today may not work well tomorrow.

In your choice, I looked up on the internet and having been through a PUP and 3 TT's myself now, my wife and I really turned-off on corner beds. However, in your model, you have corner bunk-beds. The question is, who is sleeping in them? If you have more than 1 sleeping in each bed, those corner beds are a real PITA. They are a PITA to make the bed, to change sheets in them, to sleep in them, to crawl in and out of them, and if you have adults with you, there are a real PITA to climb over each other. You'll soon find yourself VERY frustrated making up those beds.

Another thing, the television looks to be in a very uncomfortable position. It looks like its viewable from the master bed, but in order to watch, are you going to have to blast the sound to hear it, then anyone in the bunk beds (not watching it) will be annoyed, and if you have young kids, they'll not be sleeping.

Word of advise, things like this are not unearth until after you purchase the camper and bring it home. Although it may pi$$ off your local dealer a little, but spend some time in the camper before you buy it. Lay down in the beds, watch the television, play a board game at the table, and see if the lay-out REALLY is functional for you! It's time well spent and yes, it does usually pi$$ off dealers because you're spending so much time. But in the long run .... YOU are better off!

My two kids would be sleeping in the bunks, one on each. They are still young(9 and 12) so they should be fine.

Regarding the Tv, we don't plan on watching it much and if we do it will be when its raining or what not. Is it possible to mount them other places in the trailer?

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just checked out some pics of that model. It looks like a very nice trailer. I would just compare the quality to others. And, since I've been very happy with our Winnebago, I would suggest looking at their trailers also. From the pics, it looks as though they are comparable quality.

Good luck and have fun in your search!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
More than likely, the manufacturing of the camper you're looking at is about as good as any other. Pretty much, (I think), they are all made just about equal. There's only so much they can do to an RV, after than everything else is just for "looks".

Considering this is the first camper you found a strong interest in, be advised you most likely will go through at least 3 trailers, eventually move to a 5er, and then potentially move to a MH someday. As your needs and family dynamics change, so does your RV needs. Expect to change RV about every 5 years or less, and remember, what works today may not work well tomorrow.

In your choice, I looked up on the internet and having been through a PUP and 3 TT's myself now, my wife and I really turned-off on corner beds. However, in your model, you have corner bunk-beds. The question is, who is sleeping in them? If you have more than 1 sleeping in each bed, those corner beds are a real PITA. They are a PITA to make the bed, to change sheets in them, to sleep in them, to crawl in and out of them, and if you have adults with you, there are a real PITA to climb over each other. You'll soon find yourself VERY frustrated making up those beds.

Another thing, the television looks to be in a very uncomfortable position. It looks like its viewable from the master bed, but in order to watch, are you going to have to blast the sound to hear it, then anyone in the bunk beds (not watching it) will be annoyed, and if you have young kids, they'll not be sleeping.

Word of advise, things like this are not unearth until after you purchase the camper and bring it home. Although it may pi$$ off your local dealer a little, but spend some time in the camper before you buy it. Lay down in the beds, watch the television, play a board game at the table, and see if the lay-out REALLY is functional for you! It's time well spent and yes, it does usually pi$$ off dealers because you're spending so much time. But in the long run .... YOU are better off!

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
Be wary of special show prices. Last summer we thought about trading in on a new rig. the salesman says they have a new model for the show in two weeks. When we went to the show we found the one we were going to buy at the dealer was several thousand more than at the lot. This was the special show price. We asked why and were told they had to pay for site rental people to move the rigs and extra insurance.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

sask934
Explorer
Explorer
Campsask wrote:

Thanks

Welcome from another Regina poster who just bought at the same show.

Do a lot of research before buying....I'm no expert but I spent 6 months looking at different units and researched all the manufactures.

Good Luck...

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard good thing and have looked at them in the past. I currently have a light weight trailer, 35 feet,6,400 lbs, 8,000 lbs loaded and all if fine with it.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Remember light weight often means light construction practices, that might not hold up as well over time.

I'm sure some will disagree, but I am speaking in generalities, not about any specific make or model.

Our trailer is one foot longer, with two slides that add weight. It weighs, ready to go, 8100 pounds per CAT scales.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin