Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member with Used Camper

Coastalflyer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all
Just recently purchased my first camper, a 2013 Palomino 6601 from a private party. I have it on a 2019 F250 w/ 8 ft bed. Trouble is, the camper didn't come with any documentation and the previous owner isn't responding to my questions, which has me a little worried.

The camper is a nice size and seems to be in pretty good shape, but I can't get the Suburban furnace or the Atwood water heater to work. The previous owner had winterized the camper when I bought it, so not sure if there's something special I need to do, like fill the water heater (I put water in the fresh tank). The gas stove works so I know that propane is flowing. The water heater gets warm on the outside vent and I can hear the unit working and see a flame when I look from outside the camper, but it doesn't heat the water. The furnace doesn't do much of anything.

Appreciate any advice or suggestions.
22 REPLIES 22

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have whole box on manuals from Lance that I parted.
You are welcome to them whenever you come to Las Vegas.

Coastalflyer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the tips. Will investigate and report back.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
You can also download owners manual, though they only go back to 2015,
should be similar. They also have linked articles and pdfs of individual manufacture components/systems.
https://forestriverinc.help/#/palominorv/guide/2015/393-truck-camper/browse
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Bedlam
The water heater is probably by passed and dry which is why you have no hot water. If the furnace is lit and the fans are blowing, I would start by looking at the ducting.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
find some body close that will show you how things work

x2

It is not rocket science once someone has shown you how it works.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also, with the model numbers, you can likely ask specific questions here one of the general forums or find the manual with troubleshooting steps online.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
find some body close that will show you how things work. you can learn the hard way but can cause damage just poking around. don,t turn the hot water tank on electric with no water in it,it,ll burn out the heat coil.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the previous owner. All campers share the same couple of brands of appliances and they aren’t too complicated.

The water heater is likely drained and bypassed. First make sure the drain plug is installed. Look under the outside cover. Then you need to make sure it’s not bypassed. Do a Google image search for rv water heater bypass diagram” to see how to do it. There are a couple slightly different setups. After it’s in normal mode, run a hot water faucet until all of the air comes out.

The first thing the furnace should do is run the fan when the thermostat calls for heat. If it doesn’t even do that, start looking for blown 12v fuses.