Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New New Wolf Creek 840

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
Read TCM today,
Looks like Acrtic Fox is rolling out the all-new Wolf Creek 840 at the California RV Show in Pomona this October. Which is next week.
Looking forward to seeing what is different then the Wolf Creek 850.
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992
46 REPLIES 46

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
CAJW wrote:

I too had the snap pull out of my slider on my Arctic Fox 996 Bathroom door.

LOL, mine did the same thing, about 2 years ago. I haven't fixed it. I just latch the door closed with the lock build in to the door.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
More2Explore wrote:
.... Wonder how the headroom is in the bathroom, seems to be up higher than the WC850..

It's bad.

I looked at one last week at Apache Camping Center in Tacoma, WA.

I didn't step in to the bathroom, but I could tell my head would have been up in the skylight, and I'm only 5'9".

The door in to the bathroom is extremely short.

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Noticed Northwood is now putting another window in the rear of the camper just like the AF 865. This is a super nice feature. Lots of light and views. Now if they could only change the cheap and cheesy mini blinds.

2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
anutami wrote:
Doesn't the door also have a button latch? In addition to the cheap fastener that also broke on mine, my door also had a latch on the front of the door that you could snap a button to keep it secure while traveling.

I looked for a picture of my door, but none of my pictures show the snap. All mine came with is a piece of fabric about 4" long with the female half of a snap on it, that is screwed to the wall. The sliding door has the male half of the snap screwed into the door. The male half is what was/is pulled out from the hollow core door (who in their right mind thought this would hold???) Is it possible for you to take a picture of your latches for me? My camper is covered up in winter storage. The 840 in the pictures on the link posted above show a completely different system than I have.

I too had the snap pull out of my slider on my Arctic Fox 996 Bathroom door. I used a pocket door latch in place of the fabric snap setup which allows the occupant to lock it from the inside. The install also covers up the wollered out hole that the pulled out screw left in the door, cleaning up the looks too. A quarter works nicely to lock/unlock the door from the outside, with a turn lock provided on the inside. I put a piece of Velcro on a quarter and stow it under the counter sink near the door so one has a way to get into the bathroom, quickly if needed. Pocket door latch
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
The 840 makes it a hard choice between the 850. I am however ordering the 850. The 850 just has more storage with the pantry. I also like the open cabover bed and the TV set up. I am able to swivel it so the kids can watch TV on the dinette and bunk and I can lay on the cabover and still see the TV. The 850 also has the freshwater tank perpendicular to the front of the camper which puts the weight more toward the front, but II am not sure if this actually makes a difference.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to the 840 vs 850. Both seem like excellent campers that you can't go wrong with. I'm thinking the 840 might haul better on a short bed with the mid-bath, but maybe Northwood took this into consideration with the 850 and both have about the same COG. I also like the extra exterior storage and generator compartment on the 850 with the short box version. You re-ordering a new 850 is a testament to how much you must have liked your first one, so I'll definitely be keeping that in mind.

anutami wrote:
Do you think Northwood going to a non-basement model will make that much of a difference with off road use? Wolf Creek Off Road Eagle cap offroadThe basement doesn't seem that high compared to other basement model campers (not sure exactly how high it is). On the 5 trips I took my previous WC 850 4 of those trips included off road use in washes and some protruding boulders. First Trip Report Here I noticed some additional sway but nothing out of the ordinary compared to my previous Eagle Cap 800 Lite non basement camper.

Nice videos and trip report! Just got to love the sound of a 7.3 working; that's one of the primary reasons I don't want to give up my truck. These are the types of trips I'd like to go out and do, but simply can't with my trailer in tow. It'd make it down the road in that first video, but I doubt It'd have any holding tanks left after that second one. 🙂
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
One bit of info about a non basement unit - it severely limits the water tank capacity of all three tanks.

Yep, I mentioned that in the article. That's also why I asked the question about the cassette toilet immediately after. Having that reduces the number of holding tanks from three to two. The step up is the obvious place for the fresh water holding tank, the problem lies with the gray on where to place it. That requires some creativity.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
One bit of info about a non basement unit - it severely limits the water tank capacity of all three tanks.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
Is there any concern with the freshwater tank of 29 gallons and the fridge (the 2 heaviest components) being on the passenger side of the unit?

The 850 also has the freshwater tank perpendicular to the front of the camper which puts the weight more toward the front, but I am not sure if this actually makes a difference.

Do you think Northwood going to a non-basement model will make that much of a difference with off road use?

Hi Nolan,
No concern there since the bathroom enclosure is pretty heavy, too. Its really well balanced, side to side, and the 840 has a better COG, with the bathroom in front of the rear axle rather than behind it.

My understanding is that all holding tanks are parallel to the floor meaning they run front to back.

The basement adds something like 8" to the height of the camper, so anything lower to the ground is a plus when it comes to off-roading. On the other hand having the holding tanks in the basement does add a lot of weight low the ground which is a plus and is something Outfitter does with their high-quality pop-up truck campers. Outfitter also uses aluminum framing for their campers like the Wolf Creeks.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mello Mike wrote:
I interviewed Donald Cochran at Northwood Manufacturing about the new Wolf Creek 840 and the Wolf Creek truck camper line in general. Lots of new factory pics are included.

Wolf Creek 840

Awesome article and awesome photos! Thanks for taking the time to do this. Anything else northwood said worth mentioning? Is there any concern with the freshwater tank of 29 gallons and the fridge (the 2 heaviest components) being on the passenger side of the unit? The 840 makes it a hard choice between the 850. I am however ordering the 850. The 850 just has more storage with the pantry. I also like the open cabover bed and the TV set up. I am able to swivel it so the kids can watch TV on the dinette and bunk and I can lay on the cabover and still see the TV. The 850 also has the freshwater tank perpendicular to the front of the camper which puts the weight more toward the front, but II am not sure if this actually makes a difference.

Do you think Northwood going to a non-basement model will make that much of a difference with off road use? Wolf Creek Off Road Eagle cap offroadThe basement doesn't seem that high compared to other basement model campers (not sure exactly how high it is). On the 5 trips I took my previous WC 850 4 of those trips included off road use in washes and some protruding boulders. First Trip Report Here I noticed some additional sway but nothing out of the ordinary compared to my previous Eagle Cap 800 Lite non basement camper.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Had the WC line been available from Northwood when I was shopping for campers in 2009, I'd have probably bought one of them instead of the AF811. Granted, I love my AF811.

One thing about the mid bath model is that the bathroom seems bigger.

Yeah, but that 811 is a pretty sweet camper, too!!
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Had the WC line been available from Northwood when I was shopping for campers in 2009, I'd have probably bought one of them instead of the AF811. Granted, I love my AF811.

One thing about the mid bath model is that the bathroom seems bigger.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
That is correct. The shower and bathroom sink both drain in the gray tank.
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I believe it has the shower draining in to the gray tank. In the past, with other brands of campers, there was a note in the literature saying the shower shared a black tank when that was the case.

Northwood MFG has never had a camper shower share the blank tank.

OBSPowerstroke
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
I've looked at a variety of campers. The thing about the step up to get in the bath area is so they can have decent sized black tank, which allows it to be taller, by raising the floor of the bathroom.

My AF811 is the same, but not as high of a step as the AF990

The step up into the bathroom didn't bother me as much as I thought it would when I looked at the Wolf Creeks in person. The skylight they use provides plenty of headroom, and if it means a larger holding tank, I'm all for it.

I do wonder how the shower drain is plumbed in these campers; hopefully it's to the gray tank, otherwise I could see the black tank getting filled up awfully fast. It's not as easy getting rid of black water as it is gray when you're parked for multiple days on end...
Josh
'16 Ford F350
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK
Portland, OR