cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Ram California DMV issues

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
Just took delivery of a brand new 2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Diesel, which I really like. I bought it from Dave Smith in Idaho, and could not have had a better buying experience!
However, California DMV is being their usual obnoxious self: I have to get a smog check before I can register it, bcause I bought it out of state! It has about 51 miles on it!
So I took it to the smog check place, waited a while, and the tech showed me the printout which said that it "wasn't ready" for the smog test. I need to drive it some more before it is "ready" for the test.
Anybody have any ideas about how much to drive it before the retest?
56 REPLIES 56

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Geez, it's not that hard at all. Almost all vehicles sold in the west conforms to CA emissions standards. Just look at the Emissions label and it will say EPA Or EPA and California. A pickup bought in TX by a friend was CA emissions compliant.

Now as for the computer check, the issue is that regardless how many miles you drive, if you don't hit all they requirement points for the computer, you can drive till you run out of fuel and still never read ready. The best way is to follow what the manufacture states is the proper drive cycle otherwise you may miss one or two critical items and fail.

You have to have so much warm up. So much low speed driving. So much high speed driving. Plus you may need to have a certain amount of idles between different driving along with a possible turn off and ons to complete the proper breaking run cycle. On some vehicles you may be able to hit all the requirements through normal driving, but on others, specific things still need to be done. Just ask the dealer for the proper method (if not already specified in your owner's manual).
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Orcadrvr wrote:
I bought it from Dave Smith in Idaho, and could not have had a better buying experience!
Except for the fact that he did not register it in CA.

Too bad this question was not asked in advance. Yes the CA-DMV is very attuned to people trying to avoid sales tax, smog, registration fees and all the rest with people buying out of state and immediately bringing it in. Not saying you are trying to circumvent anything but many are and so it becomes a big PITN at the DMV.

I would contact the DMV and ask for a special inspection center that can handle this properly. You should not be leaving the inspection center with questions.

I had my CA smog license about 30 years ago and it has only gotten more complex.

Generally new vehicles do not require a smog check so the error could be that the standard machine is just saying the vehicle is too new. May need to wait four years... Or possibly you need a minimum number of miles for the computer to fully adjust to your driving. This can happen when the computer has required a reset from repairs and possibly from just being new. If you had driven it in from ID it would have plenty of starts and miles to be ready. Drive it two weeks and try again but you may still come up empty with a standard inspection station.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
If all else fails, get an Idaho PO box and register in Idaho for a year.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am thankful that I live in central Wisconsin. No smog checks, no DOT hastles, just stop at the local sheriff's dept and hand them a check. I get my plates and registration slip on the spot. 3 weeks later I get my new title. This is for used. If you buy from a dealer, they charge you $10 to process the paperwork and it is done before you pick the vehicle up.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
If the truck does not have all the necessary CA smog factory installed you will need to drive the truck 7,500 miles and wait two years so that it will classified as used.

If the truck does have all the necessary CA smog factory installed you will need a weight cert., an odometer cert., a smog cert., a Application for CA title, the out of state title, a CA DMV employee will need to fill out a vehicle verification, and you will need a boat load of cash to cover sales tax (based off of the dealers bill of sale).

Probable too late but I would make the out of state dealer make CA registration part of the sales agreement.

First thing CA DMV will look for is the factory sticker that states CA legal or 50 state legal.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
How long can you drive an unregistered vehicle? Since you have little control over the miles and time required to make the truck ready, how is it possible to make this work?

Good point. I ASSumed he had some sort of temporary registration.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
How long can you drive an unregistered vehicle? Since you have little control over the miles and time required to make the truck ready, how is it possible to make this work?

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
And do not forget a certified weight slip and Vin verification from chp.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
It depends. Invest in a cheap OBDII scanner and it will tell you when the monitors are ready. Or drive it 100 miles or so and try again. In NJ you can pass with 2 monitors not ready (except for O2 and catalyst I think), but I'd suspect that Kalifornia wants them all to be ready. EVAP is usually toughest to show ready - takes a long time as it's a combination of cold starts, highway driving, stop and go driving, etc. I never drive on the highway and my EVAP monitor on my truck didn't show as ready even after about 75 miles of around-town driving last year. I passed inspection because the other 6 monitors were ready.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"However, California DMV is being their usual obnoxious self"

Checking vehicles for emissions is not being obnoxious because it causes you to have your out of state purchased vehicle inspected. If you didn't want to be inspected then you should have purchased in state. It was your choice. The rules are clear and they have been in effect for a long time.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Just call the any dealer's service dept and ask what is the "Drive Cycle" to ready the OBD. They will give you the specific (such as X miles at 30 low speed, Y miles at high speed, Z minutes of idle) or they will say drive it so many miles in mixed traffic. I'm surprised the selling dealer didn't do this for you or at least told you what to do.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've had to drive mine 30 minutes before it's "ready".