cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Shocks?

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
What shocks do you all install on your truck for shocks with almost NO time unloaded, and almost always carry TC on the truck - we have another vehicle for non-camping miles. 2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 = Stock everything, no lift.

And WHY would you choose that shock. I do NOT want to adjust, just install and drive ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
23 REPLIES 23

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
brholt wrote:
After reviewing a number of threads on shocks I’m starting to believe this is a “religion” much like the “which truck is best” arguments.

Yup, several say, "do this one" for different brands. Means to me that it becomes a price or availability choice and all are good brands.

Even when I call the local suspension mechanics, the suggestions are mixed also. Again, seems just pick one and see if you like it.

Everyone has 'a favorite', so we probably can't go wrong with a national, recognized brand 🙂 Thx to all who responded with personal experiences.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
After reviewing a number of threads on shocks I’m starting to believe this is a “religion” much like the “which truck is best” arguments.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
bedrocker wrote:
Had the Bill,s after 1000 miles they got soft went back to the KYB,s great shock and are cheaper too 🙂

KYB only make a shock for my rear, no front shock.... Weird. And it's a retrofit, not a shock made for my truck....
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
bedrocker wrote:
Had the Bill,s after 1000 miles they got soft went back to the KYB,s great shock and are cheaper too 🙂

KYB only make a shock for my rear, no front shock.... Weird. And it's a retrofit, not a shock made for my truck....
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Bilstein 5100s on 2015 F350 toting a Lance 1172 and they work great!

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
Rancho 9000XL here. Love them.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
I went with Monomax on my old F350 after searching the forums. I wasn't disappointed.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
KYB Monomax. 7th season and around 40,000 miles later and still doing fine. No regrets.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

Gary_Morency
Explorer
Explorer
Some might be surprised but I have two 500 mile trips on the new truck and find it handles the 1191 Lance just fine the way it came from the factory.For now I;m not changing anything no swaybar or shocks the factory airsuspension holds the truck pretty much level.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I wasted over $300 on Bilstien 4600's for all four corners. I can't stand them, but kept them for a couple years because I paid so much for them. I've had enuff, so I just ordered a set of Rancho 900 for the rear, and monroe gas magnums for the front.

If anybody wants to put these flimsy things I'm taking off on their 81-93 Dodge, let me know.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:
I use my truck just like you. I replaced the wimpy factory shocks with KYB Monomax. Significant improvement. I can't offer comparisons to other brands but I chose these after listening to forum members and don't regret the choice.

+1
Works great on my truck with camper and I rarely use my truck without the camper on it.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joe417 wrote:
Our 2008 2500HD had 89000 on it so, reading this forum, decided on Rancho 5000. Installed them last fall.

I can't tell any difference from the OEMs. I should have left the OEMs on.

As for ride improvement, I added a hellwig sway bar, which did improve the ride a little bit.

I haven’t seen that many people recommend Rancho 5000s. For nonadjustable, most recommend Bilstein or KYB.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can go wrong with either Bilstien or Fox Shocks. They are both Industry leaders. The thing thats kind of unique to Truck campers and Shocks are, if you don't get adjustable Shocks, you're stuck with the firmer ride that most Performance Shocks offer when the truck is empty. No good, better or ??