cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tires for tow vehicle

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 F-150 4x4 Supercrew with 3.5L Ecoboost and I pull a 2008 Fleetwood Wilderness 240RKS with a dry/ unloaded weight of 5,440 pounds.

We're needing to get a new set of tires for the pickup and I'm looking for recommendations. We are NOT full-timers and pull seasonally, but I use the pickup year 'round. Anything y'all are just thrilled with?

Thanks in advance!
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
26 REPLIES 26

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Look into Cooper, their LT's also have mileage warranties. And, American made, almost all of them.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
I opted for the Michelin DEFENDER LTX MS 275/65R18. Costco was selling them on a special price ($70 off and 1 cent per tire for installation). Deal ended tonight so I pulled the trigger. Hope I'm happy with 'em. 🙂
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
IMHO, yo can not beat Michelin LTX. They wear extremely well. There are 2 different tread patterns available. The A/T 2 version is a bit louder.

I used to swear by the LTX MS and newer MS2's the past several decades. Not any more. Had 2 blowouts on 2 separate sets. Properly inflated, not overloaded, around 3 years, 30,000 miles on them when they blew. Michelin had recalled quite a few of them after many complaints but not the lots mine came from.

I've switched to Yokohama YK-HTX which I really like. Quieter but still sticks like glue in the snow. Time will tell.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
LeBout wrote:
I have a 2013 F-150 4x4 Supercrew with 3.5L Ecoboost and I pull a 2008 Fleetwood Wilderness 240RKS with a dry/ unloaded weight of 5,440 pounds.

We're needing to get a new set of tires for the pickup and I'm looking for recommendations. We are NOT full-timers and pull seasonally, but I use the pickup year 'round. Anything y'all are just thrilled with?

Thanks in advance!

Much depends on the tire size on your truck. In 17" tires you will more choices, and also in a 265/60R18 you will have more choices. That size I like Cooper Discoverer Plus. Rated to 2601Lb.

However my 2013 has 275/65R18 and there aren't so many choices for HD tires. No Cooper in that size. I finally settled for GoodYear Wrangler rated to 2700lb. Not as steady or as stiff as the Cooper but they do OK.

Also we air to the max (51 PSI) when towing. When not towing, I lower the PSI to 36 or so, and they ride pretty good. Discount Tire has the best price for those tires. I checked several places Including Ford, And the GoodYear store. Discount tire is about $200.00 less per set than either of the others.

as for Michelin. Put a set on my former truck. Did NOT last as long as the Coopers, or handle the Tt as ell as the Coopers either. I came to the conclusion. I paid a lot, and got nothing but a name. Names don't pull the TT.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, yo can not beat Michelin LTX. They wear extremely well. There are 2 different tread patterns available. The A/T 2 version is a bit louder.

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone noticed when going from Passenger tires to Light Truck tires that they affected fuel economy or road noise?
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the "P" tires with Continental Terrain Contacts on my '12 F150. One of the few "LT" tires with a mileage warranty. And they took out a lot of the "squirm" I had with the OEM tires.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
After 60K miles on our original tires I opted to replace them with the same OEM Bridgestone tires. Expensive but I expect another 60K miles.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would get an E rated LT tire. I've tried lots of brands without noticing a whole lot of difference.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait for it and it will come.

Get ready for tens if not hundreds of posts telling you the best tire ever made or that ever will be made is the one the person responding purchased for their truck.:)

May as well walk over to one of your neighbors, see what he has on his truck, then run out and buy those LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Top line Goodyear goes on mine. Currently Wrangler All-Terrain with Kevlar.
OEM size LT265/70R17-C but moved to E on the last set.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tires in Tow Vehicles forum
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman