cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Travel Trailers with a couple questions

New2Rv_s
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all - New to RVing, new to the site.I just received (delivered) my very first travel trailer!

2017 Outback 240 URS which I will be pulling with my 2013 F150. I already purchased and setup my Equalizer hitch and took it for a test drive. I also bought a Champion 3500 max generator/ inverter with wireless start for boon docking which I anticipate doing a lot of. I already joined GoodSam's.

My RV was delivered from Ohio so I was not on hand for the typical dealer walk through. I have been anticipating the delivery and ownership so I've been putting together my list of things to get.

I do have a few questions (I'm sure I'll have more) that I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

Trailer came with a single deep cycle battery. I will buy a second one this week and I have watched a couple youtube videos on how to hook them up in parallel. I will eventually do some solar when money allows.

Q1. Do the batteries charge when plugged into an outlet?I know that my truck while running will charge the batteries, but when plugged in at a trailer park with electrical are my batteries being charged? When using my generator are my batteries being charged?

Q2. I noticed that the jack, the slide out, the lights (All LED's), and the radio are powered by 12v power, anything else?

Q3. Do you guys pull your batteries off and trickle charge at home when not in use? I will be storing my trailer locally so I'm wondering if I should pull the off?

Q4. Is upgrading to 2 6-volt batteries worth the upgrade? I have the battery the trailer came with and I can buy a second deep cycle from Costco OR is it worth ditching the current one and getting 2 new 6-volt batteries?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get some answers. Thanks in advance.
16 REPLIES 16

New2Rv_s
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Well you have a lot of good answers but I would say to back into these things slowly and as you need them.

No sense adding bells and whistles until you find out you really need them.

Sound advice. Mostly I'm trying to make this a positive experience for my wife. We have a big trip out in Mojave on Thanksgiving day weekend. I'm hoping to workout any issues by then. We'll be boon docking for that trip and so I'm trying to keep the wife comfortable, which ensures future trips. ๐Ÿ˜‰

New2Rv_s
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of responses guys thank. Our maiden voyage will be on Sunday. I've purchased a lot of misc. items based on videos I've watched and some "1st time travel trailer must haves" lists found in various places.

I purchased the Stromberg generator mount for the front tongue which should give me a good mounting location for the generator and a way of locking it down for security.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=70918&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=Cj0KEQjwg8i_BRCT9dHt5ZSGi90BEiQAItdjpEYdw-EfQ8J-lncHR5SDwkL1PG_rF85bgRew4p2yM4QaAsb98P8HAQ

It's got good reviews for sturdiness.

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Between battery POS to RV DC Dist Panel will be an IN-LINE Fuse OR a DC Circuit Breaker......
On a TT usually located under tongue frame prior to going inside TT
On a FW usually located on floor or wall of compartment where battery is
On a TC usually on wall where umbilical cord goes inside camper

Thanks...went looking again and decided to remove the 8 screws holding the 12"X12" underbelly cover and there are two auto-reset breakers - one 30 amp and one 40 amp which protects the connection to the tow vehicle (30 amp) and the primary batter cable (40 amp).

"http://www.freeimagehosting.net/commercial-photography/">
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

westend
Explorer
Explorer
johnbro wrote:
6V batteries is old-school. You can get much better performance with less trouble, and less space, in new large-capacity (8D) AGM 12 volt batteries. Check out West Marine or your local RV center for more info. AGMs, unlike flooded golf-cart 6V batteries, do not need any maintenance and don't need venting, since they capture their off-gas and reabsorb it. Plus, they are more durable than flooded cells. YMMV
Can you tell me how much the performance will improve with one of the West Marine 8d AGM batteries versus 2 X 6V GC2 batteries?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well you have a lot of good answers but I would say to back into these things slowly and as you need them.

No sense adding bells and whistles until you find out you really need them.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Between battery POS to RV DC Dist Panel will be an IN-LINE Fuse OR a DC Circuit Breaker......
On a TT usually located under tongue frame prior to going inside TT
On a FW usually located on floor or wall of compartment where battery is
On a TC usually on wall where umbilical cord goes inside camper
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
12V DC

Water pump, furnace, fridge controls, water heater controls, thermostat for A/C and furnace, Lights, radio, TV antenna amplifier, jacks, slideouts, roof vent fans, LP Detector, (CO might) -----------

Battery supplies the DC or converter will supply DC when on AC power (shore power cord/generator supply)and charge batteries

2-12V batteries in parallel will double your amp hours

2-6V batteries have to be in series which doubles voltage but Amp Hours remain the same

Is the standard protection for the 12 volt system just individual fuses for each circuit, or is there also a main fuse/overload protection device between the batteries and the panel?
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, i use AGM's.
They can be depleted lower than 50% and recover.
They seems to charge faster while under tow as well as using the genny.

Whatever 2 batteries you plan to use, make sure they both fit in the battery tray on the trailer.
A lot of trays will only fit 2 grp 24 batteries. Measure them including the plastic battery box you plan to place them in.

Especially when you add your personal items inside the trailer, which can add to the hitch weight (tongue weight)
be careful adding tongue weight to not exceed the rating of your WD hitch as well as the rear tires of your 150.
EX : my dry listed tongue weight is about 475# ...my real weight can be around 900# . (that's with one grp 27 battery and a tongue bike rack installed).

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Q1. Do the batteries charge when plugged into an outlet?
yes - but make sure your master switch is ON:

Q3. Do you guys pull your batteries off and trickle charge at home when not in use? I will be storing my trailer locally so I'm wondering if I should pull the off?

Turn OFF the master switch before storage; I only remove the batteries for the winter

Q4. Is upgrading to 2 6-volt batteries worth the upgrade?

Not really; I use WalMart batteries for $80 each and replaced every 3 or 4 years
Gerry

johnbro
Explorer
Explorer
6V batteries is old-school. You can get much better performance with less trouble, and less space, in new large-capacity (8D) AGM 12 volt batteries. Check out West Marine or your local RV center for more info. AGMs, unlike flooded golf-cart 6V batteries, do not need any maintenance and don't need venting, since they capture their off-gas and reabsorb it. Plus, they are more durable than flooded cells. YMMV

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
12V DC

Water pump, furnace, fridge controls, water heater controls, thermostat for A/C and furnace, Lights, radio, TV antenna amplifier, jacks, slideouts, roof vent fans, LP Detector, (CO might) -----------

Battery supplies the DC or converter will supply DC when on AC power (shore power cord/generator supply)and charge batteries

2-12V batteries in parallel will double your amp hours

2-6V batteries have to be in series which doubles voltage but Amp Hours remain the same

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

New2Rv_s
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 - Thanks for the input. That's a good point about removing the fuse from the battery. I noticed that the light from the radio was on and thought to myself that even the small light will eventually drain the battery.

I'll likely just purchase a second 12v battery for now.

Just perusing the website reading some of the battery/solar/charger information and I about went blind. A lot of battery related terms, acronyms, etc. to learn before plunging into a set up.

I'll get a second 12v and since I already have the generator I'll just go from there.

Supposed to take it out this coming weekend for the first time. I'm sure more questions will come up.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
yes the generator will charge the batteries just like you're plugged into shore power.

also running on 12v, propane/CO detector.

i disconnect my battery (by pulling an in-line fuse near the battery) when TT is sitting at home, but leave the battery on. I'll plug in overnight before going on a trip. For winter storage, I store the battery in the basement on a float charger/maintainer.

as for switching to 2 6V, I've considered it myself, but I figure I'll make that upgrade when my current battery dies. It'll depend how much you boondock. I would think with a generator and solar, you probably won't need to go nuts on batteries, as you can pretty easily recharge when needed.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
New2Rv's wrote:
Terryallan - thanks very much for the insight on my F150. I will look for those relays first chance I get.

How big of a solar charger do you use to maintain your battery? So, same as short power, my generator will charge the batteries as well?

I just use a 1.5 to maintain. My battery is fully charged when I get home from a trip. So all it has to do is keep it up. In the winter. I do take it off, and store it in my out building, attached to the solar charger with the panel in the window. It is always fully charged in the spring when I put it back on the TT.

As for your generator, As long as it is supplying power it should charge the battery.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers