cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to TT's

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
First a little about us. Between 2001 and 2012 we owned 6 motorhomes ranging from a 23โ€™ class C to a 38โ€™ Monaco class A DP. During that time we traveled about 150K miles towing a Jeep Wrangler. We have RVโ€™d in every state except Maine and Hawaii and for 8 years we were on the road 10 months out of the year. Weโ€™re in our mid 60โ€™s and I retired when I was 52. We got out of RVโ€™ing in 2012 due to a cancer diagnosis but things are now starting to get under control so we decided to get back into RVโ€™s on a little smaller scale. Trips will be limited to 1-3 weeks at a time.

We just bought a new Jayco 22โ€™ TT w/tandem axles and electric tongue jack. We plan to pull it with a 2013 Nissan Armada with tow package. The TT weighs in around 4K empty with a tongue load of about 450 lbs. Well within the Armadaโ€™s ratings of 9,100 towing, 910 tongue and 15,100 GVWR.

Although we are fairly experienced RVโ€™ers, a TT is a little different from a Class A. After reading I think the first addition will be shocks on both axles. After that I have a couple of questions.

#1 when leveling side to side I plan to use stacked boards. Do I need to support both axles on the low side or can I just support one axle? Iโ€™ll use the tongue jack for fore/aft leveling.

#2 We frequently like to stop for several hours at various museums, visitor centers or maybe just a WalMart/Camping World restocking visit. As a result, if itโ€™s hot outside, we need to run the TT air conditioner to keep the dog from toasting and the ASPCA off our backs. In a motor home itโ€™s simply a matter of cranking the generator and going about your business. Whatโ€™s a good solution in a TT?

Thanks for opinions and advice
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
25 REPLIES 25

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
cmcdar wrote:
OR - you could try one of these.

I am going to try one out. I will be camping with my 94 year old MIL this summer and one campground does not have power. If it is real hot and something like this would work, I am all for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3YvF4eVQO0

Kind of a fun idea but doesn't provide much cooling. If the thing has 100 lb of ice at 20F and you raise the temp to 60F it would provide the equivalent of 4K BTUs cooling. A 13,500 BTU A/C provides that much cooling in a little under 20 minutes. But it is interesting. Now if I could figure out how to haul about 5 tons of ice I'd be in business. ๐Ÿ™‚

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
OR - you could try one of these.

I am going to try one out. I will be camping with my 94 year old MIL this summer and one campground does not have power. If it is real hot and something like this would work, I am all for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3YvF4eVQO0
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
How about local dog sitting. I did that one time while I was in Canada. I was going to do a lot of cycling and had an old dog. I found a Doggy Daycare near the campground I was staying in and I would drop my dog off in the morning and then go pick her up that afternoon or evening and took her back to camp. I think It cost me $15 per day and she was in a nice, comfortable, air conditioned house with a very comfy couch to lay on. Work out well for us.

Here is a link to help you locate pet sitting all over the US:
https://www.sittercity.com

I can appreciate your dilemma. We lost the pup mentioned above (old age) and have since rescued a much younger one. We will be looking to do the same with her.

Good Luck
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
The only problem I see with the Anderson Levelers, is if camping in sand, like many of the Florida campgrounds along the Gulf. I think on a solid surface they would work nice. Is there anyone here that has actually used the Anderson's and can give a valid report how they work on dirt, grass, gravel, and sand?

I watched some YouTubes re: Anderson Levelers and can see how they might be a problem on sand or even gravel. I suppose you could sit the Andersons on a piece of plywood to help spread the load and limit sinking.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I would just leave the engine running on the tow vehicle . . .

Since my TV is gas powered I have always been led to believe the engine should not be allowed to idle for extended periods of time. By "extended" I mean multiple hours. At one time I owned a diesel Suburban and left it running all day sometimes and never had a problem. Is it ok to allow a gas engine to do the same?

I would like to avoid the problems involved with a generator if I can but leaving the dog at home just ain't gonna' happen. If you don't believe me just ask my wife. ๐Ÿ™‚

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem I see with the Anderson Levelers, is if camping in sand, like many of the Florida campgrounds along the Gulf. I think on a solid surface they would work nice. Is there anyone here that has actually used the Anderson's and can give a valid report how they work on dirt, grass, gravel, and sand?

Steve1950
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco 22' sounds nice, I once had a 19'Jayco. I now have a 22' Holiday Rambler Ultra Lite. It has double axles and is very smooth. I've never thought I need shocks.
00 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4
13 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite Ultra Edition 207-S

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
Does anybody run a 13.5 air conditioner on a Honda EU2000?

Nope!

Hmmm, you seem so sure. :R Funny, I have, just as many other EU2000i owners have, and although there are limitations it is quite possible. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Hill wrote:
Generator - A Honda EU3000 I will run your AC and weighs 78 pounds and it's quiet too.

Seems to me a little clarification is in order here - that 3000 Honda inverter genset you say weighs just 78 lbs is the EU3000i Handi (EU3000iK here in Canada), not the EU3000iS you have shown in your own SIG, a genset which is significantly heavier and dramatically quieter than the Handi ... two entirely different animals not even remotely similar.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
Leveling - I currently carry 2 planks 2x10, long enough for both wheels to sit on. I don't like the idea of only jacking 1 wheel, but I've seen it done. That covers most situations and I carry an assortment of shorter 2x6 pieces that will cover most situations. That being said, I really like the looks of the Andersen levelers as someone mentioned earlier. I'm going to try to build a version of those by laminating some wood planking together.
Generator - A Honda EU3000 I will run your AC and weighs 78 pounds and it's quiet too. Were I you, I would look at Curt Hitches. They make a version that will bolt to the back of any RV frame. No welding required. Once you have that, you can easily secure the generator to a hitch mounted platform to make it theft resistant.
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I would just leave the engine running on the tow vehicle and with a spare set of keys, lock the vehicle. You will find that a generator in a trailer has specific problems:
1. Mounting it on the back of the trailer can off set tongue weight and cause towing problems.
2. A large, heavy generator is needed to start and run the A/C and will be expensive and/or noisy.
3. The trailer will be very hot, having been in the sun without any A/c, so getting it cooled down when the outside temps are high, will take hours. Putting a dog in the trailer immediately after starting the A/C can be dangerous.
4. You will have to carry fuel in containers to power the generator.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
krobbe wrote:
The gas cap seals completely.

Until it vents out like it is supposed to.

Bruce

My Honda 2000 has a locking vent cap that does a really good job of not leaking. I suppose if the temperature rises enough to cause excessive pressure, it may leak some fumes. I tow with the Maxxair vent open which probably keeps the temps down and ventilates, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
SkiMore wrote:
krobbe wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
Does anybody run a 13.5 air conditioner on a Honda EU2000?

Nope!

I have. BUT only by turning off every other load including the converter and not at high altitude. You should get a 3000 or larger to run an AC without worrying about the simultaneous small loads.
Also, I carry my Honda2000 inside the TT without any fumes. The gas cap seals completely.

Do you carry the gas cans in the TT also?

No. I don't carry gas cans inside. I strap one to the tongue.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
The gas cap seals completely.

Until it vents out like it is supposed to.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers