cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New tow vehicle - Heavy Duty - WDH or not?

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. After enjoying our Mega Cab for a while, we have upgraded to my dream truck - a RAM 2500 w/ the 6.4 HEMI, crew cab, long bed. I'm new to the "true" 2500 world (our MC was rated as a 1/2 ton though it looked like a 3/4) and am seeing conflicting info - do I need a WDH or not?

Also, help me here. If I do keep my WDH, would a reducer work fine or should I get a 2.5" shank? (new to us truck came with a class V hitch setup) I may end up needing a taller shank as this truck is lifted a little.

Much appreciated.

Here's our Lima:

33 REPLIES 33

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Congrats on the new truck. For that weight you shouldn't need a WDH.

Common sense answer!

So it was a common sense question?
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Well, current hitch is a no-go. Went to storage facility to test. Jack is maxxed out on height. Even if I were to jack the whole trailer up onto ball, back end of TT would be almost touching the ground. Time for a taller shank (2.5" receiver) or ditch WDH and go adjustable hitch ball and call it done...

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the amount of trailer forward of the axles I would bet the hitch has more weight on it than the 700 - 850 lbs mentioned by another poster.

Like others have said pull it and see how it goes. You might just need to add a friction anti-sway set-up if it moves around some.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys for your thoughts. So, no reducer included (didn't find one; truck is 3 years old so previous owner probably has it somewhere in his garage hehe). I don't have an adjustable ball mount but if I end up with no WDH, I'll get one and hook up and go. I've pulled our old TT with the Mega Cab we owned with no WDH, comfortably, no issues, no sway. I've pulled our current TT with no bars when bringing and taking it from/to storage. I'm comfortable doing so - some folks just mentioned using a WDH w/ sway bar as a peace of mind issue. I went ahead and got a sleeve and will go to storage tonight and see how far off I am with the current hitch.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Your new truck should have come with a reducer. Check the floor storage compartment in back seat floor. Works fine but will have a bit more slop in the hitch than a 2.5” shank would.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Test pull it without the WDH.
Do you have an easily adjustable height ball mount? You'll likely need one to haul other trailers with the taller truck.
My SIL pulls a medium size toy hauler with his Ram 2500 no WDH, no probs. He uses the 2&1/2-2" adapter sleeve.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:

Common sense answer!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Meant to say “hitch.” Oops
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, bad @ss looking truck! Congrats.
Fwiw, your old truck was a true 3/4 ton just as your new one is.
Whatever you chose before will work now. Although a wdh isn’t needed for a lightweight trailer like that.
Whatever you decide, consider using a 2.5” shank and not the adapter sleeve. They’re prone to bending ***** pins and wallowing out holes in the receiver if used a lot of for bigger trailers.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
I use a WDH with a 8K TT and 3500 RAM. I have been leaving the sway control off recently. You will need an really long drop hitch. I use the OEM sloppy 2.5 to 2" insert adapter.

Your combo I would not use a darn thing. I would adjust a B&W Tow n Stow to set the pin weight to 10%.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on the tongue weight and what else you have in the truck bed and how it handles. I don't think a 2500 truck should need one with that size trailer assuming your hitch is rated high enough weight carrying capacity. I'd be pretty sure it is.
I regularly tow 10,000 pounds and above behind my 2005 Chevy dually with no WDH. That is, however, a flatbed trailer with equipment and supplies on it. Even so, I'd guess around 1,000 to 1,500 pounds of tongue weight. I have no problems with it. That's with the truck already carrying another 2,000 pounds of tools and gear.
I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with a WDH if I didn't absolutely need one. They're heavy and noisy.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to the "true" 2500 world (our MC was rated as a 1/2 ton though it looked like a 3/4) and am seeing conflicting info - do I need a WDH or not?

I always load it all up and make a short trip ...then make the decision if any components need help.

If you need a WD hitch let the hitch mfg decide if a reducer is needed or can be used.

The older 1500 Mega cabs sat on a true 2500 HD chassis with a 6000 rawr like my 3rd gen '03 2500.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
5k dry is going to be at least 6k ready for a trip. That would put you around 750-800 lbs of loaded tongue weight. Definitely keep it. It will help for sure.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys for your replies so far. I have been leaning towards keeping it (as you said, if nothing else, for peace of mind). Trailer is a 32 footer, about 5,000 dry. Weight won't be an issue. Tires are load range E. Yes, I'm thinking the drop will need to be increased so have been looking at replacing current shank.