cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new tow vehicle

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about changing to a newer tow vehicle. Anyone have experience with a late model Ford diesel? I tow a 30' fifth wheel.
Thanks.
2016 F250 Super Duty 4x2 Crew Cab XLT
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission
3.31 Electronic Locking Axle
Pullrite 16K Super Glide Hitch
2012 Sundance 275 RE XLT Fithwheel
26 REPLIES 26

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest doing some reading on some Ram/Cummins forums. As much as some people have had some issues, the vast majority of owners of the 4th generation Rams are very satisfied with their trucks. The current Ram is a completely different animal than your current truck; I think you would be surprised! In the past I always felt the Ram was lacking compared to the Ford but that is certainly not the case anymore.

One major point that pushed me to the Ram was the difference in engine complexity. A look under the hood of the Ram vs the Ford is a real eye opener. I plan on keeping my truck for a very long time so long term reliability and repair costs were very important to me.

Good luck on your purchase!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
Posted: 12/16/16 01:17pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
Has your Ram been a good truck? Curious as to what's driving you to the Ford. I actually made the switch the other way around (Ford to Ram) and am very satisfied.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My Ram has served me well, except for the transmission. It was replaced under warranty once by the Dodge Boys and when I lost confidence in the replacement trans. I put in a Goreng billet trans. it works great. I would stay with the Ram but it gets really bad reviews from Consumer Reports. Also, I liked the Quad Cab size which is not offered any longer.

Happy Travels
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Has your Ram been a good truck? Curious as to what's driving you to the Ford. I actually made the switch the other way around (Ford to Ram) and am very satisfied.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI...I had a bid on all 3, no brand preference as I believe all the new diesels are great trucks.

it just came down to who made me the best deal on what they had as I didn't want to order a truck. Honestly if someone in new England had a GMC denali dually I would have pushed for it as I like the dash in that better than my ford.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
3ares wrote:
Thank y'all for your quick input on the Ford diesel. This helps makeup my mind.
Happy Travels to all.

Clue! All the Ford people will praise Fords, all the GM people will praise GMs and all the RAM people will praise the RAMs. Go test all three. Buy the one that turns your crank, not other people's cranks.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
previous was a 2011 f250 with 6.7 just over 110k miles and zero issues! My current truck just turned 12k miles, one issue....some tool in a car hit it 2 weeks ago and it now has $8k in damage, but not the trucks fault.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

3ares
Explorer
Explorer
Thank y'all for your quick input on the Ford diesel. This helps makeup my mind.
Happy Travels to all.
6.7 Power Stroke
6 Speed Transmission

I have the "15" version of their 6.7 and love it .. .. It was the first year they added the on-off button for the engine brake..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Fish on..........
:B

One

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
thanks for the intro Grit

I have a '12 Super Duty with 108k miles and not a single issue to date. My truck gets impressive fuel economy, used as a daily driver, pulls my camper, boat, utililty trailer/tractor like a dream. I'm planning on changing the transmission fluid and rear end fluid and go another 100k miles.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fish on..........

One
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2012 Ford F350 6.7L, the newer models have some small changes in the power train that increases HP and torque a bit. The upper end 2017 SD trucks are loaded with all sorts of cameras and such, with the price to match.

My truck has been basically trouble free, we run all over the western mountains all summer long and have been up to Banff and the Canadian Rockies. The only problems I've had were a corroded battery strap, and a ghost Advanced Trak error message. I did have a hose blow on the turbine when we were in NM. Everything except the Advanced Trak error have been fixed under warranty. The mystery error is most likely a wire with bare insulation that once in awhile shorts out. The dealer couldn't find it.

This is my first diesel and I am a convert. The truck has pulled our 11K fiver up and down mountains all over the country.

If you are thinking about a used truck be sure to get a 2011 or later when They have the 6.7L
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper