cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Travel Trailer owner!!!

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased my first travel trailer! I got a steal on a 1983 Jayco 32' Jayflight. I know it is a fixer upper but I am a jack of all trades so I am happy to have a big project on my hands.

The front area has new carpet down but there is no couch or seating installed at this time. I think I may look for a cheap futon for now but I hope to find some good plans to build a seating area that can be changed into a bed for my girls.

I also need some help with the plumbing part. The water supply tank is there but it is loose and not hooked up to anything.

I was also told the refrigerator does not work. I will have to check that out and get it fixed.

Thanks is advance for any helpful advice!!

Jeff
14 REPLIES 14

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
I worked on the camper a little last night and determined the pump was not installed. I actually found the pump in one of the storage areas. I am not sure why it had been removed. I took it and touched the wires to my mower battery and the pump ran good and sounded fine. I am hoping that it was not removed because the pump will run but not pump water. Not a big deal though if I have to get a new pump.

As suggested I am going to fill the water tank tonight and see if it leaks at all. If not I will then connect the pump to the tank to see if it pumps water before installing the pump back in the camper.

I did try out the A/C unit last night and on Low Cool it blew some cold air!!! I was pleased that it worked!

Jeff

zachb91
Explorer
Explorer
im looking for a camper my self i foun d 1 i like its the grey wolf 28bh.but gotta pay some bills of first. if you ever do make it to sullivan let me know i live on sullivan lake.

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
Zach,
No, I haven't. We actually have not done much camping up to this point, my wife cannot easily tent camp so we have been talking about getting a camper for a while and then I spotted this deal so we jumped on it.

Before I travel very far, I am going to have to get a different truck to tow this beast. I only have an F-150 with the 4.6 engine.

Jeff

zachb91
Explorer
Explorer
Do you ever come over to sullivan indiana an camp?

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer

Cant get pics to show!!! :h

:C

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the only thing I see wrong so far with the plumbing is the fresh water tank is loose and not hooked to hoses.

I have not tested the pump yet.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you put a plug or two in the tank, fill it with water and see if it leaks. If you have no leaks, it's a matter of plumbing the tank, securing it back in (usually steel straps), and seeing if the pump is good. Do any of the original pipes exist in the trailer?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
"I find your lack of pictures disturbing..." - Darth Vader
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
jmartin99 wrote:
I currently have 110 plugged into the camper. I do however have a 30amp 110 outlet in my garage. I put it there before my Aunt visited with their big motorhome. I installed it so they could use it to run their A/C. Do I need to get a 30amp extension cord to be able to run the refrigerator or A/C?

Thanks!

Jeff
You surely won't need it for the refrigerator, you said it doesn't work LOL..

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you will be far enough along in the repairs to actually do some camping this season.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
jmartin99 wrote:
I currently have 110 plugged into the camper. I do however have a 30amp 110 outlet in my garage. I put it there before my Aunt visited with their big motorhome. I installed it so they could use it to run their A/C. Do I need to get a 30amp extension cord to be able to run the refrigerator or A/C?

Thanks!

Jeff

Not for the refrigerator but Yes if you want to run the A/C, The A/C pulls a lot of amps and a basic 15amp cord could catch fire.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks!

Jeff

jmartin99
Explorer
Explorer
The refrigerator is not high on my priority list right now, I am completely fine using coolers when camping.

The plumbing is the first priority.

Thanks!

Jeff

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Good thing you are a jack of all trades because your going to need all of them. I love messing with the RV myself for sure. Some things can be replaced and fixed others will have to be replaced. There is not to many things you can do to an RV refrig except throw it out and get another one. Or you could turn it into an ice box. Its just the nature of the beast. You can try taking it out and turning it upside down or make sure there is no cob webs in the tube. make sure it's actually getting heat from the propane. but if the ammonia has leaked out or the boiler is bad your just out of luck on that one so don't spend too much time with it just get another one and move on. Have fun fixing it up then have fun using it