cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New truck engine info

RAllison
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to upgrade to a 2015 or newer Ford or Chevy gasser,3/4 or 1 ton SRW. Pulling a 10,000 lb. TT. Currently driving 02 Ford F350 SRW with a V10, love it but getting some miles,265,000. You fellows driving the new gassers, what do you think of them. Thanks
24 REPLIES 24

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
I guess a question would be where will the 7 liter be available in.

You cannot get a the 6.8 In the F350 and below. :h

I have read that it will be an available in the:
Platinum F-150
Raptor
SD's
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
RAllison wrote:
Thats funny you mentioned the fuel pump, I just replaced it last week. At 210,000 I had the engine apart, replaced gaskets between heads and block and the mechanic thought that it looked in good shape. The truck overall is in very good shape, but was worried a little bit about the mileage.There something to be said about having strong horse to pull the wagon and no payments.

Yep!! Sounds like that truck will last u a lot longer then u may think. Trucks are now easily up to 80k??.... So being paid for is a great thing..... If everything else in in great shape you could rebuild that engine if anything ever went wrong with it, but me thinks it won't and you will get many more miles from it....
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

RAllison
Explorer
Explorer
Thats funny you mentioned the fuel pump, I just replaced it last week. At 210,000 I had the engine apart, replaced gaskets between heads and block and the mechanic thought that it looked in good shape. The truck overall is in very good shape, but was worried a little bit about the mileage.There something to be said about having strong horse to pull the wagon and no payments.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
265,000 is still low miles. You shouldn't have any issues anytime soon due to that, only the regular stuff that hits any truck with enough age. Hoses are the one. Might want to preemtively think about doing the radiator, but you can limp home without it.

Fuel Pump and fender-mount starter relay are the 2 things that tend to strand a V10. Fuel pump at least gives warning usually. I carry a spare relay. Mine goes out about every 100,000.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
George3037 wrote:
RAllison wrote:
Getting ready to upgrade to a 2015 or newer Ford or Chevy gasser,3/4 or 1 ton SRW. Pulling a 10,000 lb. TT. Currently driving 02 Ford F350 SRW with a V10, love it but getting some miles,265,000. You fellows driving the new gassers, what do you think of them. Thanks

I have a 2016 Chevy CC 4X4 2500HD 6.0L gasser. I use it towing my 16' 14K dump trailer, 22' 14K tilt bed and 30' 10K TT. It tows great, very comfortable, lots of creature features but don't expect any great MPG. Empty driving sees about 13-13.5 MPG local, 14.5-15 highway, and 8-10 towing.

I had a 2011 and a 2015. My mileage was about identical to the above. These trucks will pull. I routine pulled 30K or just above combined and the 6.0 will get it done. Never had an issue with either pickup, even working them as hard as I did. The 4.10's are the best match had one of each (3.73) and the 4.10 is best if your pulling (2015 and newer only gives you 4.10's). Just as a point of comparision given the above mileage, I have 2k on a 2018 3500 Dmax and I get about 3 mpg above the 6.0 numbers. Given the higher cost of fuel and the upcharge for diesel, the cost per mile loaded or unloaded are not that far off. The diesel is a superior towing set by far, but the mpg numbers are not that different at least for me.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I guess a question would be where will the 7 liter be available in.

You cannot get a the 6.8 In the F350 and below. :h

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
That would be good to see Ford drop in a 7.0, I have heard GM is considering the same. The gas engines for 2019 and beyond are going to catch more customers in opinion. With less emission issues and cost to deal with then the diesel counterparts I see more fleets going to gas jobs. Our fleet has both, and still purchases both. With bigger gas engines I'm sure the power will go up even more and cheaper to maintain, just my opinion.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford 7.0L gasser

If you don't have to do anything now, Ford is replacing the 6.8 V-10 with a new 7.0L V-8, I think in 2019.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
RAllison wrote:
Probably biggest reason for staying with gasser is I'm old and don't like change.LOL If I new my V10 would last another 200,000 I probably wouldn't buy another truck. Also most travel is flatland, mostly to local campgrounds, with a trip to Fla. once a year.Thanks

Also something to think about if you are happy with your current truck and are just worried about miles. You could consider doing an engine rebuild and some appearance upgrades to update it some. My brother did just that on his 2001 F250 with the V10 when his engine gave up at 200,000+ miles.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
RAllison wrote:
Probably biggest reason for staying with gasser is I'm old and don't like change.LOL If I new my V10 would last another 200,000 I probably wouldn't buy another truck. Also most travel is flatland, mostly to local campgrounds, with a trip to Fla. once a year.Thanks

I hear ya on the V10! I went from a 2001 Excursion and found a 2009 F350 with the V10. No complaints and tows amazingly well, better than my previous 2009 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 6-speed.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
The V10 will last along time for sure, I believe you can easily get over 300k. Gas engines are a wise choice for some. When u get a chance drive all 3 for a fair comparison. I like GM cause I have had really good service with my last 2 GM trucks. I'm sure the other 2 make them just as good! I'm thinking end of year clearance and you should get a great deal. I know when I replace my 09 in several years to come, I will check out the other offerings as well.

RAllison
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^ Thread wasnโ€™t derailed enough for you or what?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
You say you want a gasser and I realize that is all you need for 10k lbs but I am curious as to why you would choose a gasser over a diesel....especially when you're planning on buying used?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5