cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TT battery box full of water

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
Opened up my plastic battery box on my 2 month old TT, and found it was full of water...there are a couple of ventilation slots on the tp so I guess it got in there.... I was worried something could short out or something? I drilled a half doz. holes in the bottom of the box so water will drain out.... Is this unusual? Why wouldn't the box have some sort of drainage? It sits right behind my propane tanks.
48 REPLIES 48

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
I just removed my batteries today and... the boxes were full of water! I'm not sure how long these batteries have been partially submerged. Now I can here water inside the batteries sloshing around. That can't be good right? Any ideas if these batteries are salvageable?
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

All58Parks
Explorer
Explorer
I drilled mine as well.
2014 Wildcat Maxx 26bhs
2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew

TS14fansmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to this discussion,went and checked our battery and it was sitting in a box full of water.I drilled those holes in the box(my first time using my husband's drill,yeah me!)So thanks for this.

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
Just stopped by the RV place nearby and was told they place batteries in a box which has been secured by self-tapping screws in the corners, this allows water to drain somewhat.
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
My battery box had water in it as well, I am wondering how better to tie the battery down. While I have never seen a battery box on any automobile I have owned, the batter is fastened down more securely than a leather belt around the battery box. Any suggestions?
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Owned lots of cars& trucks over the years. Never saw one with a battery box. If the batteries leaked they leaked on the ground or on metal in engine compartment. I wouldn't hesitate drilling hole in the bottom of a battery box to keep standing water from freezing and damaging the battery. I would never never seal the vent holes on the top & create a bomb.

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
limbery wrote:
I'm hesitant to seal the vents at the top though, since they're there to vent gases right?

I can only speak from theory as I do not have experience in this exact application. I learned in school that hydrogen (a by-product of batteries) is lighter than air. They used it in the Hindenburg. I also learned that hydrogen is very flammable. The Hindenburg blew up. Moreover I remember hearing that a single spark was the likely culprit that lead to the fire in the Hindenburg. Batteries are known to arc and throw sparks as well.

So as long as you don't name your TT The Hindenburg, you should be fine....

I personally wouldn't plug my vent holes.

But someone who may have more real world rv experience than me, may have a good reason to plug them.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer
I put a new box on my Kodiak it has side ports so the cable going the back not the top and I use wing nuts so I take the negative terminals off to save my agm battery

DaveInPickering
Explorer
Explorer
Drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the box. Leave the vents alone.
2014 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 4X4 Tow Vehicle

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I drilled holes in mine also.

I sealed the top vents, don't really worry about hydrogen gas.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hesitant to seal the vents at the top though, since they're there to vent gases right?

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
yep, my camper came with a AGM "marine-starting" battery. Had about two inches of water in the battery box when I brought it home new. I did the same thing.....pulled the battery, drilled a couple of drain holes and problem solved.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
First RV, water in box, I drilled holes.

Second RV many years later, water in box, Yep, that will happen. What is it going to hurt?

If it surrounds the battery and freezes, it could crack the plactic case of the battery.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Drill a hole or two. BTW remove the battery before you drill :r And best to have the hole away from the metal frame.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
*duped*
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton