cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New TT owners - When to Winterize

GordonC50
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 21' TT and live in Texas.
My question is when should we be concerned that its time to winterize and to what degree. It normally doesn't start getting cold, cold for longer periods of time until January on. I plan on using the "pink stuff" towards the middle of December. Flushing my lines, ect,. Question is, up until then it will be in the upper 20's at night then warm up to the 40's during the day. Anything I need to be watchful of until Dec?
8 REPLIES 8

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
The weather is weird and getting weirder all the time. For the roughly $10 some pink stuff is going to cost - unless you drop a gallon on the ground and have to get another - and probably less than an hour of work, I'd do the whole job and know it was safe. Come March or whenever, you may wish you'd made that little investment. And, IMHO, now would be good.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I use one of these....

Harbor Freight Inline Air Regulator with Gauge.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually I have found that around 10PSI is nearly ideal pressure. Any more and it seemsmto me that water can stay in the lines

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use one of these 12VDC tankless air compresors which takes time to come up to pressure... This seems to be just right for me...

I hook this up to the city water connection point using one of these air adapters (AMAZON)

Of course my trailer is a small trailer with minimum water lines etc... The BLOW OUT method works great for us as we like to camp late in the cold season. We can drain our fresh water tank, blow out the water lines, and fill the P-TRAPS with some pink stuff pretty quick. Then the next day we can use our water system again by just adding water to the fresh water tank...

Our winters here in Northern Neck Virginia are not all that long term. Usually warms up great during the day time hours...

In my working years I spent alot of time in the North Texas Wichita Falls area and boy when it got cold it was really cold there haha... Road freezing was a hugh problem for us but like you say it usually warmed up pretty quick the next day... Of course when the Blue Norther comes thru its Katie Bar the Door for sure...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
GordonC50 wrote:
I saw somewhere that its best to not use more than 40/45 psi on the lines. How can I regulate this?

Your compressor should have a knob somewhere near the psi gauge where you can turn up or down the pressure. If there's no gauge, just make sure all your faucets/showers/toilets are open and I'd think you should be fine.
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

GordonC50
Explorer
Explorer
I saw somewhere that its best to not use more than 40/45 psi on the lines. How can I regulate this?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Dallas? Heck I would only blow the lines out with compressed air and plan on camping year round unless there was snow on the ground. A cup of RV antifreeze in each "P" trap and the toilet should be more than sufficient after blowing the lines out.

GordonC50
Explorer
Explorer
I found a post similisr to mine below so sorry for the "repeat."