cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie to travel trailers- need advice on selection

Chandne
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone, I have been looking to buy a light travel trailer. I have a V6 Wrangler 4-door (3,500 lb towing capacity) and a V8 Toyota 4Runner (7,000 lb towing capacity). Anyway, I was looking at the following:

Lance 1575
Retro 176s
Winnie Drop
R-Pod

One thing I noticed is that the Lance is MUCH more expensive than the others. I need to go look at them this weekend. I'm sure the Lance has a lot of features etc. Any thoughts on if I should focus on one over the others?

This will mainly be for two of us going on exploring trips to different states but primarily to Colorado and Utah areas for hiking, mountain biking, road biking. Any thoughts would be appreciated since we hardly know much about travel trailers. Thanks!
25 REPLIES 25

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Lance has an incredible resell value. Look for a Lance 2015 for sale and see what they're going for (that is, if you can find one!)

Lance sells lift kits on many of their models.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Lance does stand above the others you've mentioned..." per Rexlion. What was not good about the Drop?

All "standing" aside, I'm happy with my Winnie and don't believe the Winnie Drop of lesser quality.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the Lance & ground clearance ... are you planning on hunting or serious forest service camping? We have a Lance 1685 - took to to Chaco Historic Park - where they said a trailer couldn't go & we were the only trailer in the campground. So it will go lots of places.

On the other hand, our friends who bought a Lance 1885 have since upgraded to a Nash - because they moved to Montana and spend most of their time hunting and finding out of the way campgrounds. For us it's not an issue. Currently in S. Texas spending 2 months, getting ready to move to Big Bend Nat'l Park (Chisos Basin Campground) and on to New Mexico (Scorpion Campground at Gila Wilderness etc).

Yes, the ground clearance on the Lance may be less - tip - the 2014 has more ground clearance than a 2017 - but overall it's a great trailer.

We looked at lots of brands before buying Lance - including the RPods. Depending on what you're looking for, the RPods didn't have enough storage for extended long term life -- we live in our trailer for months on end & although we liked the RPods, they simply didn't have big enough tanks or enough storage for our needs. Be sure to think through what YOU need! ๐Ÿ™‚
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

Chandne
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from looking the the Lance, Retro, and RPod. This would be my first TT. I have done a little tent camping before but that's it. I have also not looked at the Scamp or Casita trailers but will now. I'll check if RVRent has anything here. That's a good idea and I can easily rent something for a trip in March/April. Also, thanks for the tip about the ground clearance on the Lance. That could be a problem. The RPod I saw had offroad tires, it seems. The Retro was nice but those old-style seats colors were a bit hard to look at.

I certainly have a few things to think about. I can be impulsive and am glad that you guys are sharing your experience and perspectives.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Lance does stand above the others you've mentioned, for quality reputation.

Since it's just the two of you, and assuming you would like to tow with either vehicle, have you looked at molded-fiberglass-body trailers like Scamp and Casita? Sold factory direct only, but used ones pop up now and then in CO as much as in any state. Loaded for camping, their weight tends to be 2000 lbs or less for the 13' models and mid-2000s for the 16'-17' ones. The 6.5' wide, low profile, aero 'egg' shape cuts through the wind better so you'd probably get around 15 mpg instead of the 10-11 mpg typical of other TTs.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I was camping near a couple who were fulltiming in a Retro 176!

They ordered it so it did not have to old style floor or seats. They let go in a have a look. I must say that I was impessed with the quality and the layout.

They towed it with a Jeep.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
The Lance TTs that I have seen all have very low ground clearance. That would be a problem if you are going to use forest service roads and other unimproved two-track type roads.

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
Are you new to the entire concept of camping or do you have experience? You might consider something like RVRent.com to see what is available for rental near you to get your feet wet. Like DutchmenSport said, odds are within the first few years you will either bail out or else go deeper so this purchase will be a serious depreciation hit. I spent my entire life boating in vessels as large as 36 feet on large waters (think Atlantic Ocean). I'm now planning on camping, but my wife and I are certainly not buying anything. Two reasons being lack of storage and not being able to amortize the expense. I can find suitable units available for the few trips a year I think we'll be taking. If we get truly serious we might actually buy, but even then it will be previously owned, probably by someone who "made a mistake" when they bought in the first place.

And this isn't even going to the hot topic of tow vehicle suitability! Another subject for another time!
Paul
1969-1970 University of Viet Nam 11B. I was drafted. Agent Orange is still killing and maiming in Viet Nam.

Chandne
Explorer
Explorer
I knew there was a very good reason I felt like posting here. Good feedback on the Lance. I'll check out the Creekside 18RBS. I know where Keelson's is too. I evidently need to look at used one as my first RV so I'll start looking at used ones instead of new. I may be able to swing cash (depends on the wife and her grand/noble ideas) if I get a used one from a private party, so that would probably be the way to go. Thanks for this information. I'll start doing some digging.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Here's something to think about. The depreciation on an RV is tremendous the first couple years. If you purchase new, you'll be selling at, what appears to be, a horrific loss. But that's just the nature of an RV.

With that in mind, most folks, especially folks new to RV ownership will find that one of 2 things usually happens with 2 to 3 years of ownership.

1. They realize RVing is not for them, they loose interest and decide to get out of it. Selling their RV they are mortified at the hit they take.

2. They love the RV lifestyle and realize how small their current camper is and want to get a bigger camper, and a bigger tow vehicle. When they go to trade, they are mortified at how little they get from their trade in compared to the original cost, and realize how upside down they are on their loan.

With that in mind, think what may happen in 3 years (Odds you WILL be selling your camper). Now? Which camper has the best value for you?

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not familiar with the Winnie Drop but IMO the lance is better quality than the other 2 TT.

You may want to look at Outdoors RV Creekside 18RBS. Ketelsens in Wheat Ridge CO. is a dealer.

You should be able to pull it with your Toyota