cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newer HTT/Popup - any condensation concerns?

bbweasel
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are considering a HTT or a HW popup. My wife camped in a popup as a kid and always remembered that you couldn't touch the inside of the canvas or it would drip water from condensation. Is this a problem in newer HTT or popups? I see where the tent ends have mini fans which I assume reduces this type of issue. Thanks!

Considering Jayco X18D HTT, Jayco 1208, Rockwood HW276.
10 REPLIES 10

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned our HTT for many years and some will share little tricks to minimize condensation. I have a total cure for the problem. I take along an electric dehumidifier and put it in the bathroom shower. T then dial the humidity level to whatever I like. I can collect four gallons of water in under twelve hours. I can also dry all our wet cloth's over night totally by hangin them in the bathroom. The total trailer stays moisture free. It is just no longer an issue. Problem solved everywhere. Yes, there is a down side. If we have no AC power forget the above. LOL
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
We open the roof venta a small amount, and use bunk end fans to circulate the air in the bunks. We were running the furnace with the outside temps in the teens and had no condensation.
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I was told as a kid that if you touch tenting when it's raining it'll leak at that spot, is that what you're talking about? If so it doesn't happen on HTT's, as far as I know that was for old school canvas. Touching condensation does nothing more then get your finger wet. I've not noticed touching the tenting causes condensation to drip from that spot.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Happens to any thing out there. Can of ice cold beer on a warm summer day. Toasty warm any type of camper on a 34 to 45 degree night.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Hoosierdaddy47
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
We had that problem. Was cured by unzipping the sides at the top near the hard top, just a few inches. Lets the moisture from your body out. However IF you are running the AC. It is no problem at all.

X2. This, and the furnace if need be, and our canvas is lightly damp at worst. We also keep the bathroom vent open, pretty much year 'round.
2004 Antigua 215 SB
2006 Durango Adventurer Hemi
Tekonsha Prodigy P3
DW-Indeterminate age
DD-16
DS-13
Olivia-Torkie
Balthazar-Italian Greyhound
Check my group (NOT page!) on Facebook-Hybrid Travel Trailer Camping

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
the most common cause of condensation, in HTT's and PUP's, is the owner closing up the trailer as tight as possible on a chilly/cold nites.
then they run the furnace all nite.

this issue is easily solved by two things, allowing air movement and using PUG's or solar blankets on top of the canvas tent ends.
and you can still use the furnace as long as air is allowed to move out thru a vent or slightly open tent window.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had that problem. Was cured by unzipping the sides at the top near the hard top, just a few inches. Lets the moisture from your body out. However IF you are running the AC. It is no problem at all.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is a major problem, but the solution is so simple you just wonder why trailer manufacturers don't build it in. I solved it with two $16 solar blankets from Cabellas and clips to keep them securely attached. The size fits perfectly. Shiny side out when hot, and dark side out when cool. The main thing is to have a layer of air to buffer the outside temperature. Also leaving the windows open just a bit in the bunkend tent helps evacuate the air we breath out. Then your tent ceilings will be dry in the morning.
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We sometimes have had condensation in the mornings on the top inside areas of the canvas. Best way to prevent that is to cover the outside. Such covers also help keep temperatures more comfortable inside the trailer.

This is the brand I used but there could be other covers that would work just as well. Fans blowing across the inside surface of the canvas would prevent condensation but you'd have to have them on in the mornings before condensation starts forming.

http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

edsland
Explorer
Explorer
We had a popup for 4 years with no water trouble. The only thing about the canvas sides is when the temp dropped at night it cooled off a lot quicker then our hard sided tt.