cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Not a big enough trailer

Luv_nCamp_n
Explorer
Explorer
Here is our dilemma, we bought a new 2009 31red heartland north trail a few years ago, with a loan. (So we still owe). We like most things about the trailer. But due to a slow leak the floor in the family living area became soft and will be getting replaced after the camping season is over. The floor plan use to be sufficient for my family, but it seems we always take extra kids and that makes it miserable for my husband and I come morning time. I just want to sit down and drink a cup of coffee, but there are literally bodies everywhere. Not to mention, the takedown and set up they have to do just to lay down.

We have a 19yo daughter, that goes with us when her work and school allow her time, and our 12 yo boy that would take his whole entourage if we allowed,lol. He usually has at least 1 friend, and our 2 nieces his age are usually along.

Trading up on a bunkhouse is not an option due to the damage. So we have tossed around the idea of taking the master bedroom and converting it to a bunk room. We are not afraid of diy, we have built houses, and extensive high end remodels. My question is for the "very knowledgeable on all things RV related forum members" are we crazy to think this is acceptable? And if it is acceptable, will moving the kids to the hitch end help to eliminate some of the added wiggle we experience at night during sleeping hours.

Please don't hesitate to throw in other possibilities. Except for pitch a tent. They aren't tent kinda kids, and I'm not a tent kinda mom. Lol
49 REPLIES 49

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Could you privately sell your TT once it's fixed, then find a used hybrid with 3 drop down beds? Along with a couch and a dinette, it could sleep a lot of folks.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Luv'nCamp'n wrote:
Please don't hesitate to throw in other possibilities. Except for pitch a tent. They aren't tent kinda kids, and I'm not a tent kinda mom. Lol
Oh well.

I tend to camp at private CG's and most will not allow a tent to be set up on the same site as our TT so we we bought a BH when we were able to upgrade our TT.
I do think you will be able to customize your TT to best fit your needs, keep in mind the possibility of resale value.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

Mickey_D
Explorer
Explorer
Some friends of ours made fold down bunks that went in the living area of their trailer. There are two over the couch and one over the dinette. Space is a little tight, I think it looks like trying to sleep in a submarine, but everyone gets to sleep in the AC and when folded up, do not take up that much room. We have a bunkhouse model and have slept as many as five kids and three dogs at one time back there. The chaos stays isolated when they are sleeping, but insanity ensues when that door opens.

HappyTrails2U2
Explorer
Explorer
You could try to lose them. We used to take our kids on vacation in our travel trailer when they were young. We left them at gas stations and rest areas along the way a couple of times but it didn't do any good 'cause they always found us. ๐Ÿ™‚
2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 Chevy Silverado 1/2 Ton Extended Cab

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Luv'nCamp'n wrote:
The tent has been tried, and they all were inside rather quickly. Not to mention some of the state parks tend to be over run with rougher crowds.

I've camped exclusively in State Parks.

I've never come across 'rougher crowds'. Beer drinking is a part of camping everywhere where it's not banned. While I don't drink this is the way it is and must be accepted.

Luv'nCamp'n wrote:
I'm not being judgmental, but just this past weekend my husband and son got in the truck and slowly started to pull away from our site and 2 younger kids (preteen?? ) purposefully stopped on their bikes in front of them and gave them this scowl and put their hands up , as to say "what are you gonna do about it."

Kids do this all the time. Unless they flipped the bird and cussed you out, I wouldn't worry about it. I see that behavior all the time. They're kids and do silly stuff, you just have to get use to it.

Luv'nCamp'n wrote:
Music blaring and dogs barking all during daytime hours, and I thought camping was suppose to be relaxing.

That's camping ANYWHERE. While it does get annoying, that's the way it is. Sounds like you need to find someone with private land and boondock there. Or you can find a place in a national park that allows dispersed camping, so you have no one around. Again boondocking with no hookups.

Everyone I know that doesn't want to drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull a large bunkhouse or can't afford either, uses a smaller trailer with a nice weatherproof tent. When weather does get bad, the kids can sleep on the dinette bed and/or sofa bed.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
jandjbaums wrote:
Sondy132001 wrote:
I don't do tents, neither do my kids, and I don't think 19-20 years old is a KID, that's an adult and I don't know any adults who really want a tent. I'd do to your trailer what you want and the back of the truck with a camper shell and mattress would be good too, especially if still connected to the trailer ๐Ÿ˜‰

Reading these replies just make me cringe, so judgmental and not even suggestions just a bunch of grumpy people sheesh.
Whats wrong with a tent? Tent camped almost my whole life as with most on this forum. Thats just a stupid statement. And I dont know where your at but from what I see, theres 40yr.olds that I would call kids!

That's my statement and I stand by it, if I wanted info on a tent I'd go to the tent forum, I'm in the TT section cause I like travel trailers. My opinion stupid or not !

rob1105
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry a spare tent just for those extra tag along. Not saying for you to stay in a tent but for the extra neighborhood kid to. I also have a camper shell on my truck that also serves as extra sleeping quarters. Good thing about the camper shell is your off the ground where no little critters can get to you and they are leak tight. I wouldn't change the floor plan of your TT due to throwing the weight balance off on the trailer.

Luv_nCamp_n
Explorer
Explorer
Those cots are a great idea, but a little big for our sofa space. We are really considering a camper shell for our truck, or just living with our current situation.

As for the comments about tent camping. We use to tent camp and then A couple of us developed a few skin allergies in addition to having seasonal sinus allergy problems. We love to be out doors, but enjoy the comforts of a travel trailer.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cots

Pull out the couch and put in storage.

Put these bunks in their place. I believe you could even stack them 3 high.

With 3 on the cot plus 1 or 2 on the dinette, a outside coffee pot and a couple of chairs....might be a solution
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
.......So, I kept our PUP and on those few occasions when we can get the tribe together,(herding cats is easier), it works okay. The grandkids will often tent it just to escape the snoring. I will admit when we all sleeping inside; the PUP it looks like a nest of Gerbils..

Doesn't add to the thread but this was funny. I can just visualize everyone sprawled out. :B :B
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Sharps45120
Explorer
Explorer
A compromise between a truck camper and tent is a truck bed tent. Way less expensive and lighter than a TC, still off the ground, and a couple of cots will fit nicely in the bed of a full size truck. Check Cabelas.
"As I stand on the beach~I slowly surrender~To the child in me~That can't say goodbye." ~ Jimmy Buffet

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
We need more space and thought we'd try the tent idea. It didn't work well for us. 1. Thunderstorms 2. No AC 3. PITA to set up and take down 4. No television/DVD We are in the market for a bunkhouse, but will take a big depreciation hit, so we are limping along.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your truck can handle a TC and a trailer buy a good used pop up truck camper. Just a idea.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tenting has little to do with your age. I am 70 and still tent camp when the DW and we go canoe camping. There is little choice.

Of course it is nice having the grandkids along to haul the canoe and gear over the portage. We taught them well.

There in nothing that beats a TT for convenience but do not sell a tent short when you need a decent temporary shelter.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.