cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Now that many of us have LED lights ... why 6Vs and solar?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm sure I'm underpowered compared to the rest of you at only 2 Group 24 12V batteries. I can't fit larger batteries, but I don't really seem to need them. I'm thinking about adding solar, but I generally only need a bit of generator power or driving to top my batteries off. I don't think that I'm that unusual with the advent of running LED lights.

So, back to the question, why do you have 6Vs and what do you use that uses that much 12V power or if you have both 6Vs and solar, so what do you do with all of that power?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
23 REPLIES 23

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
If I switch from 12 volts to 2 6 volts, would I need to do anything about my Blue Sky solar controller our house inverter?
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use 2 6v for more hours of low load capacity (LED lights, water pump, a bit of furnace time on a cool morning) before needing to recharge.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

So, back to the question, why do you have 6Vs

Because 6V typically last longer over time (# of discharges) than 12V. The plates are thicker. They can take a bit more abuse over time than 12V.

jimh425 wrote:

and what do you use that uses that much 12V power or if you have both 6Vs and solar, so what do you do with all of that power?

We full time. We boondock and dry camp quite a bit. Since we are always in our RV (rather than just weekending it) we like it to be like 'home.' This means that some days, we just want to binge watch a series or cook something all day in the crock pot or use the breadmaker or make more than one pot of coffee. With 600W of solar and 4AGM 6V batteries, we can do it and not worry about running our generator. We don't like to run our generator. We also have a propane fridge, LED lights and high efficiency appliances and tvs to help us avoid using the generator.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one group 31 AGM battery. I have no need for solar or a generator. I leave my water pump turned on the entire time during my stay (hate having to hit it with messy hands just to wash them). Nothing else uses 12v unless I turn on a light (mostly fluorescent). 4 days won't even put a dent in the house battery - even if I use my lights, charge my cell phone, kindle AND plug in my laptop to watch a movie.

I don't have a microwave or tv in the clipper. I don't use hair dryers, toaster, coffee makers, etc. Detectors run on their own batteries. Fridge doesn't pull any 12v power (unless it's on 12v setting).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I'm sure I'm underpowered compared to the rest of you at only 2 Group 24 12V batteries. I can't fit larger batteries, but I don't really seem to need them. I'm thinking about adding solar, but I generally only need a bit of generator power or driving to top my batteries off. I don't think that I'm that unusual with the advent of running LED lights.

So, back to the question, why do you have 6Vs and what do you use that uses that much 12V power or if you have both 6Vs and solar, so what do you do with all of that power?

You have about 50 - 85 usable amp hours of battery power with your set-up. So if you dry camp for 3 days, the battery will be depleted by 50% or a little more even if you never turn on the furnace, light, or TV. Just the CO meter, propane detector and refrigerator can consume 100 AH in 3 days.

With a solar panel - say 120 - 140 watts, you will not need to upgrade to heavier batteries, as you can replace all the energy that you would consume in one day in just 5-6 hours of full sun. So you will not need to carry a pair of golf cart batteries at 67 pounds each. The pair of 35 pound batteries is plenty for your needs, if you can recharge them daily with a solar panel.

Get a 120 - 140 watt panel - they can be bought for only about $229 now. SunElec.com Look for a 12 volt panel with a frame, so you can attach it to your roof.

Then buy a PWM controller for about $15 at this website. Wait about 3 weeks for it to arrive, but you will save $50 in the cost by waiting.

AliExpress.com Search for 20 amp PWM solar controller. Then search by lowest price first, and free shipping. There are many vendors out there, with $10 - $15 controllers.

Easy and silent, and you will not need to carry around a 100 pound generator either.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
I can run the microwave for short periods without firing up the generator. Or simply stay put in a remote campsite for much longer without noise.

For someone that simply moves from one full hook-up campground to another or drives some distance every day or so there is no real advantage to solar and larger batteries.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I installed solar to avoid running my generator. I would use a inverter to run my direct TV system and 19" TV all that I wanted to, and could use 130 AH of battery power nightly.

My 400 watt solar would make up that much power in 8 hours of sun.

It also shades my roof.

And your RV will consume 35 AH of power just to run the CO meter, propane leak detector and refrigerator for 1 day, about what 1 of the 120 watt solar panels will make in 1 day.

So lights are only a fraction of the power consumed each day by the RV. In my case, the TV set used a lot of power. But for some, the satellite and wi-fi system will consume more power. Some use a internet connection for business while living in the RV full time. Some just enjoy playing on the computer, and use a small inverter and laptop.

My favorite place for solar panels is this one. SunElec.com

Have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
but I generally only need a bit of generator power .....

That there is why solar for me. I have not plugged in the charger or even hooked the charge cable up to the truck since putting the solar on top. Silent, reliable, and near zero maintenance.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Spend more time off the grid. The extra amp hours available with the 6V allows living off the grid without having to drive, plug in or run a genset to bring them back up. My previous battery setup was like yours, but as we spend more time stationary boondocking, the less that setup worked. Everyone's power needs are different so nothing wrong with your setup if it works for you.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase