cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Observation on the NL/Bigfoot Clamshell Design

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am starting this post because I don't want to hijack the other NL delam thread.

The NL/Bigfoot "water proof" clam shell design is especially appealing here in the Pacific northwest. I seriously considered both brands when we were shopping for a camper 13 years ago.

I remember finding a NL about an hour north of us. In the course of looking it over, I climbed up on the ladder to take a peak at the roof.

Holes. Holes. Holes. The ladder and "luggage" rack attached to the roof in 7 or 8 places. There was a plumbing vent, a refrigerator vent, roof vent, skylite, escape hatch, and, of course, front, rear, and side clearance lights. All holes appeared to be caulked with Dicor or something similar.

What's the advantage of a water proof design/structure if the water proof surface is pierced in 20 places and relies on conventional caulk to keep the rain out?
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm
26 REPLIES 26

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhode trip wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
I think it is much less expensive and time consuming to simply stay out of the trees.
Wayne

Ha,ha. I'm in New England...that's like telling you to stay out of the sun! :B
Well you should at least crank the Batwing antenna down, I did not. :B

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

rhode_trip
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
I think it is much less expensive and time consuming to simply stay out of the trees.
Wayne

Ha,ha. I'm in New England...that's like telling you to stay out of the sun! :B
2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
dunegoon1 wrote:
I had a problem with a leak around the sewer vent on my Bigfoot. The ABS pipe exits the roof and there was a gap around it. The vent assembly consists of a cone that is screwed down to the roof fiberglass and a silly cap that can easily be knocked off. When the cap is gone, rain enters and fills the cone until it can run down along the vent pipe. My solution was to clean all of the moss and water out of the cone, dry it all out, and then spray foam the gap around the vent pipe. I thought about filling the whole cone with foam sealer, but decided instead to drill a drain hole in the cone at the low corner. I can always fill the entire cone later if needed. I recently found a more rugged vent cap that is held in with spring wire. The second vent, for the gray water venting, was also modified likewise.

Oh. The water leak ruined the wood that supported the jack at the rear corner. But that is another story.

I added an ABS straight coupling (cut off the stop so it would slide/ sleeve down) to increase the size of the pipe with the size hole drilled thru the roof and caulked.

For pipe protection I covered each one with West Marine SS. clamshell vent covers.

Not that my way is better just the way I did it.

dunegoon1
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with a leak around the sewer vent on my Bigfoot. The ABS pipe exits the roof and there was a gap around it. The vent assembly consists of a cone that is screwed down to the roof fiberglass and a silly cap that can easily be knocked off. When the cap is gone, rain enters and fills the cone until it can run down along the vent pipe. My solution was to clean all of the moss and water out of the cone, dry it all out, and then spray foam the gap around the vent pipe. I thought about filling the whole cone with foam sealer, but decided instead to drill a drain hole in the cone at the low corner. I can always fill the entire cone later if needed. I recently found a more rugged vent cap that is held in with spring wire. The second vent, for the gray water venting, was also modified likewise.

Oh. The water leak ruined the wood that supported the jack at the rear corner. But that is another story.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II

How can I or anyone else make an excuse on my ripping off my Batwing? If you leave it up, and driving off, does that not fall under stupid? You can't fix that, but must repair it. Then again, maybe a manufacture flaw in design.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
rhode trip wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
I did not like all the roof penetrations also, so I removed the luggage rack, which would have torn up the roof fiberglass if I ever hit a branch, sealed up the holes and removed the plastic pipe vents by putting steel protectors over the pipe vents. I bit more aerodynamic too I guess.

I ripped the luggage rack off on a tree branch, so I filled the holes with Marine-Tex and was done. I had problems with the forward vent breaking on branches after removing the luggage rack that offered some protection, so I made an aluminum limb-riser to protect it. I haven't had a problem since.

Good idea and good work too.:)

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
The fiberglass roof is also a more stable surface to caulk against than many alternatives. On a fiberglass boat, removing and recaulking all the deck hardware every 10 years would be considered a very aggressive preventative maintenance schedule. Many go 15 or 20 years without much attention. The typical RV recommendation is to pour Dicor over it once a year. My BF camper purchased new in 1998 was sold in 2012 without a leak and no resealing since new. The one I have now is 8 years old, no leaks, no resealing from new.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reddog1 wrote:
My roof was installed over 27 years ago. Does anyone think a rubber type will survive that long? It has never leaked and only recaulked 3 or 4 times.

Yes, I do. I think the weak point is actually the caulk.

In any case, it's hard to compare when the weather in each area is quite a bit different.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
I would rate construction methods as 1) fiberglass clamshell,2) Styrofoam sandwich with aluminum framing, 3) Styrofoam sandwich with wood framing, and 4) the good? old stick and tin. Ease of repair would have a very different order. I shied away from a BF in my price range as interior repair, yes, the roof can leak, would be too much work.
Adventure before dementia

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never ripped off anything from my roof except a Batwing. It does a lousy job tree trimming. I have a scratch in the side of my Bigfoot from a limb on a very narrow road. Had my Bigfoot been anything other than molded fiberglass, it would have been ripped open and require major repair work.

Fact is, a big enough limb can clear the top off any TC. The difference the molded fiberglass is a lot tougher than any other roof on TC that I am aware of. My roof was installed over 27 years ago. Does anyone think a rubber type will survive that long? It has never leaked and only recaulked 3 or 4 times.

Wayne

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup. I was bored.

And yes, I have to agree that the NL/Bigfoot design has far fewer edge seams to leak.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

rhode_trip
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
I did not like all the roof penetrations also, so I removed the luggage rack, which would have torn up the roof fiberglass if I ever hit a branch, sealed up the holes and removed the plastic pipe vents by putting steel protectors over the pipe vents. I bit more aerodynamic too I guess.

I ripped the luggage rack off on a tree branch, so I filled the holes with Marine-Tex and was done. I had problems with the forward vent breaking on branches after removing the luggage rack that offered some protection, so I made an aluminum limb-riser to protect it. I haven't had a problem since.

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Without the roof penetrations, what you'd have is a stinky, stifling, boring, deathtrap.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.