cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old truck day!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well today must be old truck day at work today. These are both customers trucks. 82 F150 XLT 302 automatic, with 7k miles!

The one in the back is a 1968 IH 1200 series camper special. Gotta love setting points and dwell!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
32 REPLIES 32

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I finally was able to look the F150 over. Turns out it has 107k miles, very well cared for! Turns out a 17 year old kid bought it last year. He parked it over the winter. So he knows what he's got, it went this long without rusting out and he wants to keep it that way. Good for him, glad to see the younger guys have an appreciation for he older trucks, even if it is an 82!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

randygk
Explorer
Explorer
Deuce and a half

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
That would be pre 98.5 12V cummins. Along with 6.2 GM trucks. Along with the Fords mentioned above.
Puma 30RKSS

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
I guess (The Beast) presidential limousines is a Diesel for that very reason. I guess you could say the same about 1994 and prior ford (IH) Diesels with mechanical injection. I thought about one briefly because you could burn waste engine oil in them.

This got me to doing a little reading on "The Beast". Looks like it's powered by a modern Duramax, which if an EMP really happens would be as dead as any gas engine. IF an EMP is actually a real threat though, I'd imagine that The Beast might have some magic shielding to protect its electronic systems.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Yes, the IH is basically a tractor with a pick up body on top! Even the front axle has closed knuckles. It has the IH 304 in it.

I'll get some pics of the 82 tomorrow.
Use to see a lot of them in farm country. All seemed to have the front fenders rusted out. My understanding is they used timing gears instead of a chain. Interiors were very utilitarian. Wasn't the gas fill in the front fender as well?
Farm country was the only place big enough to turn one around. Widest steering radius I've ever encountered.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
When someone hits us with an EMP those point ignition cars may be the only thing on the road.
Kind of a coincidence but we were just talking about that last weekend. With N Korea and the middle East. I guess I would be back to a bicycle. Even my Zuma scooter is fuel injection with all the electronics.

Yep time to have a pre 99.5 Cummins12 Valve!
I guess (The Beast) presidential limousines is a Diesel for that very reason. I guess you could say the same about 1994 and prior ford (IH) Diesels with mechanical injection. I thought about one briefly because you could burn waste engine oil in them.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
Arcamper wrote:
When someone hits us with an EMP those point ignition cars may be the only thing on the road.
Kind of a coincidence but we were just talking about that last weekend. With N Korea and the middle East. I guess I would be back to a bicycle. Even my Zuma scooter is fuel injection with all the electronics.

Yep time to have a pre 99.5 Cummins12 Valve!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
Yes, the IH is basically a tractor with a pick up body on top! Even the front axle has closed knuckles. It has the IH 304 in it.

Use to see a lot of them in farm country. All seemed to have the front fenders rusted out. My understanding is they used timing gears instead of a chain. Interiors were very utilitarian. Wasn't the gas fill in the front fender as well?

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arcamper wrote:

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
7k miles on the Ford :H Brings a entirely different meaning to fix or repair daily :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
gmckenzie wrote:

Had a Ventura (Novaish) that I could sit on the fender with my legs dangling down by the headers and set the dwell.

To be honest, I really don't miss those days.

Ha! I used to sit like that to work on my old IH Scout 1. Very comfortable.

That was the only car I ever did any real work on. It was as easy to fix as a bicycle, and for the same reason -- you could see all the parts (there were about six) and how they went together.

Newer cars, I open the hood and am immediately confused. This is why I post really dumb car questions on the forum.

I miss my old Scout! I was looking at some on craigslist the other day...
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
82 F150 XLT 302 automatic, with 7k miles!

That's cool. :C

x2. I would love to see more pics of it.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes