cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil change interval Ram CTD .

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't find the post but someone here questioned my 15,000 mile oil change interval , subject said his said 10,000 . I looked it up in my book and it does say 15,000 miles ! I can see some confusion because on the same page it sez that you must not exceed 10,000,but in parenthesize it sez thats for the smaller Fiat engine .
Reading the book also taught me sumptin else ,For 35,000 miles I had difficulty shifting into 4 wheel LOW , Transmixer must be in neutral to make that shift ! Now they tell me ! READ YO BOOK !
19 REPLIES 19

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Do any of you have your oil analyzed?
It would be interesting to see the results, as to the condition of the oil. I change my 2001 5.9 at 10,000 miles, test always come back good.

I always took Blackstone samples and 7k or so it was usually done. Of course mine had the 3rd injector event and some other smog items than yours. So you used a TBN test also?
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I also went back and edited my post. I changed the word "dino" oil to "non syn". I'd guess most or many of us are of the abiotic oil theory or we wouldn't be operating RV's.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I changed my oil first time 2015 Cummins at around 4K I used a FleetGuard Stratapore filter and AMZ/OIL 15-40 full Synthetic oil. I have around 9K on oil so based on my type of driving towing 32,500# combined and no short trips the computer is saying change at near 15K. I will change at that time and do an oil analysis with Blackstone that will include TBN.

I used to run the 15-40 in my 98 12V 10K analysis said to go to 13 on next sample.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I did not look it up but as I remember my dealers free change uses synthetic oil . I

My first oil change was performed by the dealer. They installed part number 68024967-PB which is Shell Rotella T Triple Protection 15w-40w dino.

When you search the Chrysler part number this is what I found. Both are JP4 non syn oil.

It's good oil and I have run it 10,000 but that's about my limit regardless of what my monitor would say. Genos does a lot of good work in their TDR Tubo Diesel Register.

Genos oil write up here.. Triple T was run 20,000 an sent to oil analysis. Walmart's brand was highly rated too.

Sratapore filter write up.

So the warning that Chrysler makes is that it is critical to run syn if it's operated at low temps but it appears that going by the dealer I went to in Fort Meyers, it's ok to run dino oil up to 15,000 miles.

The owners manual doesn't differentiate it just says JP4, it just says never go over 15,000 and always use syn when low temps. You can always find more good info beyond the owners manual. Chrysler is putting syn in during production only because they dont know where the truck will be operated.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not look it up but as I remember my dealers free change uses synthetic oil . I

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer changes mine for free as long as I follow the books 7500/6 month interval, which for me will be the six months and only around 5K miles.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
It would be interesting to see the results, as to the condition of the oil. I change my 2001 5.9 at 10,000 miles, test always come back good.

I have samples analyzed on my 7.3 PSD every other oil change, but haven't yet done so on my Ram. But now that I'm out of the 36K warranty and into the powertrain warranty, I may go ahead and start doing them.

Nobody on that forum should be changing their oil at 15K. That's basic EVIC data, which is comparable to the most vanilla driving scenarios. 7500 or 10K should be the limits of folks who use their vehicle for more than commuting on open highway at 60 MPH everyday.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 2007 Dodge 5.9L specifies 7500 (Schedule 'B' severe duty) and 15,000 (Schedule 'A')

I followed 'My Schedule'.......5000 miles because I towed HEAVY for 7 yrs.
Oil/oil filter/fuel filter & air filter

Tranny oil/filter/bands at 25K

Rear Diff. Fluid-------15K
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 Dodge 6.7L specifies 7500 miles.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
15k miles towing or stand alone would require more oil than my previous 5.9 held ( 3 gallons). Current engine holds 6 gallons and the oil mileage is 15K miles.
Interesting though how Cummins now dates the oil change interval periods :W
Maybe they bought Rotella brand from Shell oil :B
I know at least with the Canyon they use oil life monitor and it's well past six months now with no change oil CEL.
Will the Ram flash a oil change CEL after a six month period?
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Which oil are you using?

There is also a diesel engine supplement to the owners manual. At least I know there is for my 2014.

It's also important to pay attention to the coolant as it changed to OAT in 2013. OAT is purple but can look orange depending on the light angle.
I cant post a link because of this website.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah this forum is the last place I come for service advice. The owners book has everything you need to know.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I can't find the post but someone here questioned my 15,000 mile oil change interval , subject said his said 10,000 . I looked it up in my book and it does say 15,000 miles ! I can see some confusion because on the same page it sez that you must not exceed 10,000,but in parenthesize it sez thats for the smaller Fiat engine .
Reading the book also taught me sumptin else ,For 35,000 miles I had difficulty shifting into 4 wheel LOW , Transmixer must be in neutral to make that shift ! Now they tell me ! READ YO BOOK !

It is amazing how much useful information is in the owners manual, which is written by the people who designed and built the vehicle.

It is equally amazing how many people never even open the owners manual believing they know more than those people who designed and built the vehicle.

It is also amazing how many people post on here or other forums asking about what to do about a certain aspect of their vehicle, and take what is posted on the forum as proper procedure, when al they had to do was look at their owners manual for the correct information.