cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

olde timers help me out !

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
My grandson is putting a $1700 front bumper on his truck ! I giggled and said that my first new truck was a 1960 GMC that cost $1,600 , he said ' no way '. New trucks came with no spare and no back bumper . For sixty bucks more they had this new thang called a ' step bumper '. We bolted a trailer ball on there and hitched to a 24 foot cargo trailer and hauled Florida produce to Philia and furniture back . Ever week for years and years . Gas was 19 cents in Waycross and I had two tanks . Any yose guys member those days ?
24 REPLIES 24

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably 1963 or 64 my neighbor , a rich man , went down to the auto center at Montgomery Wards and had an air conditioner added hanging under the dash in his Ford pickup , had to be a rich man because it cost $250 !

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
My grandson is putting a $1700 front bumper on his truck ! I giggled and said that my first new truck was a 1960 GMC that cost $1,600 , he said ' no way '. New trucks came with no spare and no back bumper . For sixty bucks more they had this new thang called a ' step bumper '. We bolted a trailer ball on there and hitched to a 24 foot cargo trailer and hauled Florida produce to Philia and furniture back . Ever week for years and years . Gas was 19 cents in Waycross and I had two tanks . Any yose guys member those days ?

My uncle made similar trips from Ellenton, Fl hauling watermelons.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
66 Ford F100 custom cab
352 with 3 spd on the column
Got a very respectable 13 mpg as I recall
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be 60 in July and I had to smile when I read the OP! Yes I remember walking by the new trucks at the dealership on the trip to and from school!
I remember not seeing bumpers on the trucks and the trucks on the road had only one tail light and it was legal!
I had an uncle that pulled a tt with a 1959 Ford station wagon with the family and thought nothing of it!
I remember walking past that dealership and seeing that brand new Teal colored 1964 Chevrolet pick up with the livestock rack! I swore that I was going to own a truck like that but it never happened but I did get into a 68 Chevy P-U later in my 20's and as an 18 year old I did pick up a 65 Chevy SS but stupidly traded it for a 70 Impala! I have neither now, but I still harken back to that Teal truck at that dealer ship! I called it a Bluish green at the time!
My health is bad now and I don't have a bucket list but if I did I would seek out a 1964 Bluish green truck with stock racks on it and buy it!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad pulled a 4 wheel wagon with every thing we owned on it, from Detroit Mi. to Delhi NY with a 1937 Pontiac with the 5 of us in it. on war ration tickets.
As a farm kid, I hauled hay to Yonkers raceway with an old twin stick Brookway on 6 cent diesel.
Yeah I remember those days when I worked my back side off for $10 a week
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember taking day's power wagon on a teenage camping trip in Idaho in the 70's.

What a great truck.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
our 1967 chevy el camino cost us $2300., with an add-on a/c installed. our first new vehicle ๐Ÿ™‚
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
yep, I remember it well. In around 1965 friend of mine had a 1961 Ford Falcon with the little 6, with it we towed a 16' TT from San Marino to Palm Springs. Made it, but took a while. As I remember the front end was up in the air so high we could barely see over the hood.

Pick-ups were sold sometimes without bumpers, tail gates, sun visors, only one tail light, etc.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
We towed our 15 foot TT all over the US in the late 1960's with a 6-cylinder 3-speed 1960 Ford sedan that was probably worth way less than $1000. Gas was 25 cents a gallon by the late 60's. No air conditioning in car or TT. TT had ice box, hand water pump, and no toilet facilities. We had fun anyway!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
yes. NAC
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ