cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

??? on changing trucks

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Good Morning... After sleeping on the issue I have some questions and need advance... After 18 years and 267K miles I'm closer to replacing Old Blue... I have a 4200 + lb loaded 9.5 foot Kodiak camper and I've been over loaded... With that being said it also has been trouble free except transmissions.... Now the questions :: looked at a 2011 F450 drw 6.7 diesel lariat with 80K miles... Is it overkill the 450 part??? Also what to do with backup camera thats in the tailgate?? can it be relocated??? Then whats your thoughts on extended warranty ... dealer mentioned the electric part????? The sunroof may or may not be covered with the overhead, but it is what it is... Thank You
jimbow
8 REPLIES 8

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
The 2011 through (I believe) 2014 F450 pickups were nothing but dumbed-down abominations compared to the 2008-2010 F450 pickups. No 19.5โ€™s, no Dana S110 rear axle, no wide-track front axle, same brakes as F350. I couldnโ€™t see any significant difference between them and the F350โ€™s of the same model year.

If you want an F450, look for a 2015 or 2016. Ford went back to building the truck like the 2008-2010 models, except with some nice changes/upgrades and an improved version of the 6.7L Powerstroke. The biggest problem with the 2008-2010 F450 pickups was the same one every other Diesel powered truck of the same years had: they didnโ€™t use DEF to reduce the oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust, so they used a massive amount of EGR. Didnโ€™t work out well for any of the manufacturers.

As far as Iโ€™m concerned, the 2015-2016 F450 pickups are what the 2008-2010โ€™s SHOULD have been, and the 2011-2014โ€™s could NEVER be.

Major design changes starting in the 2017 Superduties, so I canโ€™t speak to them at all.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
F450 mileage is worse due to 4.30 gearing. Camerasource makes a camera that you can plug in for just over $200. I don't care for any Ford camera relocate hacks I've seen.

From what I remember 2011s don't come with 19.5s, so the ride will be similar to a F350 with the same wheels/tire size.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for reply so far... The camper fit is a good point, that's why I'm looking at Ford.... I have a past post about a year ago of my experience of trying friends 2006 GMC... it can be looked at but long story, camper will not fit on a GM truck and questionable on newer dodge dually because of the opening forward of tailgate ... I tried it on a 2014 f-350 drw and ok... camper is a molded fiberglass..
jimbow

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The differential ratio will be overkill.
I specifically order my 2017 F350 with 3.55 differential and that things flys on overdrive all long grades either with 6000 lb camper, or hauling 8,000 lb of stuff with cargo trailer.
Camera can be "easy" relocated. I made a topic about it.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The platform that raises my camper a little is a 4x8 sheet of rigid foam insulation. Weighs nothing, works great. I should just attach it to the bottom of my camper.

Those used car extended warranties have traditionally been dealerships best moneymakers.

F450s usually ride terrible when empty, but are the reigning king of camper haulers.
They usually turn tighter than F350s can.

The area of interference that comes up putting older campers on newer trucks is the little kickout ares for the bathroom, the part that goes inside the tailgate opening but behind the wheel well.
I donโ€™t know what camper you have but generally campers 1988 on up are made to fit, because thatโ€™s when GM started the narrower-than-65โ€ tailgate thing. (Followed by Dodge in โ€˜94 and Ford in โ€˜98.)
If you have that problem itโ€™s possible to fix, you need to narrow that kickout about two inches.
Sometimes you take it apart and find itโ€™s easy to do, sometimes you have to do like I had to do and have to section and re-fiberglass the shower enclosure a little.

Driving a late model F450 with a 9.5 camper will be an extremely pleasurable experience.
Iโ€™ve driven F450s and F550s with ridiculous amounts of weight in them and they just handle it like a boss.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
An F350, even an SRW, of that era would be adequate to haul that camper. If the F450 is a good deal, I would not worry about "overkill." Don't buy it because you think you need it. Buy it because it's a good deal, or because you have plans to move up to a larger heavier camper in the near future.

The only concern I'd have is with camper fitment. Truck dimensions have changed since your current truck was new. Bed openings are narrower. Bed sides are deeper. Cabs are taller. Odds are you'll need a platform to raise the camper enough to clear the cab of the truck at the very least.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Otherwise not overkill. Itโ€™s the pickup version, correct?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Warranty on an 8 year old truck will be expensive at least, and probably laughable if you really need it.
Reconsider buying an old truck and adding an aftermarket warranty. If youโ€™re not comfortable without the warranty Iโ€™d say youโ€™re not comfortable with that model/miles/condition.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold