cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One Step Closer

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
On Friday we finalize the purchase of a 2016 Grand Design 317RST to be used full time after retirement next year. It is 35' weighing 10,138 empty carrying a GVWR of 13,995. The dealer agreed to store it for us until next year. Now comes the hard part - buying a truck.

Years ago we had an '03 F250 PS used to haul a 24' 5er. Worked like a champ. But the new diesels really scare me with all the problems they've had. Regardless, I've decided diesel is the way to go. The Cummins seems like a great engine, unfortunately I've read way too much about front ends and wheel bearings and am concerned about Ram's build quality in general. I like Fords, but the prospect of having a problem which requires ripping the cab off the truck bothers me.

Pretty much, I've decided on Ford. Right now they're offering 0.00% financing up to 72 months and some great pricing on left over 2016 models - that is hard to ignore. I found two trucks of interest. The first is a F350 PD crew cab short bed SRW with 3.55 gears. The 2nd is a F350 Supercab long bed SRW with the same gearing. I know length is our friend when towing, but the 2 trucks are within 2 inches of each other with respect to wheel base. The 2nd is about 6k less expensive.

As I am unfamiliar with towing 14k, so I am interested in input from those who are. What say ye?

Thank you.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.
81 REPLIES 81

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Santa Fe wrote:
1.5 years of ownership here and I don't have any complaints about build quality with my RAM.

I opened my buddy's eyes to the RAM...he was deadset on Toyotas (just like I used to be). He had a lot of preconceived notions as well, but so far so good!

Tough to beat a Toyota and if they built a one ton diesel I'd be all over it, but they don't.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
1.5 years of ownership here and I don't have any complaints about build quality with my RAM.

I opened my buddy's eyes to the RAM...he was deadset on Toyotas (just like I used to be). He had a lot of preconceived notions as well, but so far so good!
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
So here's how it went. I didn't pull the trigger on the Ford. Yes, it felt faster and was more quiet. However, we both agree that the cab seems more confined and the seats not as comfortable. The wife likes the cab layout better on the Ram, too. We tried keeping it apples to apples driving a tradesman and an XLT. The Ford is nice for sure, and I'm shocked to write this, but I really am thinking of going Ram. Have I mentioned that Cummins? That thing speaks to me.

Monday I'll call my Ram sales guy and see what he can do. If it goes poorly, I still have the Ford guy's number.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
dirtydan57 wrote:
That Cummins is certainly impressive. I'm really looking forward to driving the Ford tomorrow and comparing.

After reading everything on the forums I expected the Ram to be junk. It's not. But then everything is nice when it's new.

What I've learned is that we have to drive them without forming preconceived ideas. Yes,forums are a great source of information, but are a guide, not the best way to make a final decision.

Thanks for all your help. I'll update after the drive tomorrow.

FWIW I was almost sure I'd buy a Super Duty Powerstroke when I finally determined I wasn't going to find what I wanted used for what I was willing to pay. When I started looking at the Rams more closely and doing some homework it ultimately was a pretty easy decision for me. The one thing I'd give to the Powerstroke is that it's a very refined powerplant and it feels way faster. That said I prefer the way the Cummins sounds and acts more like the bigger diesels I've been around in the past. I've never encountered a situation where I couldn't accelerate if I wanted, and the two setting exhaust brake is awesome - on auto it's held the truck/fiver back on every descent at speed.

Either way you go you're almost surely going to be a very happy camper.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

We are hearing less about CP4 failures lately, so Bosch may have figured out how to run a high pressure model pump on ULSD.

Maybe, but there's a reason GM went to a different HPFP in their redesigned 2017 Dmax. The Powerstroke is the only one still using the CP4.

Ram's Ecodiesel uses CP4 as well as the Cummins 5.0

I know. Wouldn't touch either one with a 10' pole. It's a shame on the Nissan because that's a nice heavy half truck.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

We are hearing less about CP4 failures lately, so Bosch may have figured out how to run a high pressure model pump on ULSD.

Maybe, but there's a reason GM went to a different HPFP in their redesigned 2017 Dmax. The Powerstroke is the only one still using the CP4.

Ram's Ecodiesel uses CP4 as well as the Cummins 5.0?
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Cummins is a true MD engine and Aisin is a true MD trans"

What is meant by this statement? Do you mean to say the Cummins is designed for different work than the Powerstroke and Duramax? There is no doubt that the Powerstroke and Duramax were designed to be used in the diesel pickup trucks. I know the original Cummins was designed to deliver 160 hp and was used in small farm tractors but I thought it was revamped to compete with the Duramax?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Bedlam
Your MD claims can be applied to Ford and older GM products (since there are no current MD models).

Although instrumentation is better in a Tradesman Ram, I still think my XL Ford seats, center console and control knobs were better.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dirtydan57 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Pretty much, I've decided on Ford."

That does not sound like a solid decision to me.

True dat. Your posts made me realize that I needed to drive something other than Ford.

Economics are important to me but I've also decided that I'm getting whatever makes my monkey dance and if that costs a couple thousand more, so be it.

The ford will feel faster no doubt. I can tell you my 10K Dually is no slouch, ask MeAgain.

But that does not matter as much as long term durability. Cummins is a true MD engine and Aisin is a true MD trans the 68RFE is no slouch either. Fit and finish on the latest RAM's is second to none.

Just remember Ford has the cp4 pump RAM has the cp3 that is about bullit proof. GM has decided they were tired of paying claims and went from the cp4 to a different pump in 2017.

But hey nice to see you have a open mind.

Hey I think all three make great trucks these days but the Ford diesel would give me great pause. GM would be a close second choice.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Both 6.7's (PSD and CTD) have different mannerisms. You just need need to find which one fits your driving style better.

I agree. It's why I rode Harley, love the low end torque and is probably why the Cummins speaks to me now. I'm really thinking Ford better be on their game tomorrow.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

That does not sound like a solid decision to me.

True dat. Your posts made me realize that I needed to drive something other than Ford.

Economics are important to me but I've also decided that I'm getting whatever makes my monkey dance and if that costs a couple thousand more, so be it.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

That does not sound like a solid decision to me. Sorry to those that get offended with people giving suggestions to someone. I assume the op is a big boy and can make up his mind. More info is always better!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
The Aisin is "Made" In USA. If it was "assembled" it would say so.

Oh I see, you think cause it says "made" rather than "assembled", there is a difference. Whatever you need to justify it in your mind.

I'm from Canada so I don't really care where my truck comes from. Ford and GM (thanks to US Gov't buyout) don't make, build, or assemble trucks in Canada.

Also, what makes you think I have a power stroke?

S

There FACTS associated with "assembled" and "Made" you may want to look them up.

Fact is Ford is a US based company that is still ran by the Ford family and Ram/fiat is a foreign company that is ran by macaroni. In addition it's comical that you brag that your B&W hitch is "Made in the USA" but you always leave out that nasty detail that your ram truck is "Made in Mexico" by a foreign brand.

Spin it however you like.

BTW...Your like a liberal in that 2+2= Whatever feels good.

RAM truck plant

Ford truck plant
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Best thread jack in...........3days!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold