cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Open Range 308BHS - anything out there similar and lighter?

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
Been interested in the newer bunkhouse floorplans coming out ... front queen / rear bunks / island kitchen / outside kitchen too. Saw one of these the other day and it caught my eye. I'm wondering if there is anything like this out there but lighter ... I might have to swap out for a lesser capable TV than my F250 for other reasons so just trying to think ahead.

Open Range LT308BHS:

I found a Jayco Eagle with something almost identical but it was just about the same weight.

Thanks!
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube
12 REPLIES 12

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
TriumphGuy wrote:
Nice to see all the thought that has been put into floorplans since I last looked at TTs. 7-8 years ago

TTs in my opinion have been revolutionized in the past two or three years.

What used to be 5er only type floor plans are now very common. Open Range has been a leader in the group. There is no doubt they make a fantastic trailer - just a bit over my budget.

They even have a Journeyer model with a raised rear bedroom and a pass thru basement to rival a 5er. It was just too big (9,000 lbs empty) and and too expensive ($56K) for what we want.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Makes sense TriumpGuy. I'm sorry for the assumption.

Keystone Passport 3320 looks the lightest I have found so far at about 6500 dry.

Keystone Bullet 34 about 7k dry.

Forest River Surveyor 34 TBD weight but I liek the giant U-lounge like Open Range offers too.

No problem APT - there are so many threads started on here about "can I tow this with my 1/2 ton" I really can't blame you ๐Ÿ™‚

The Passport and Bullet (Passport especially) have a lot of size for the weight. I looked at a Bullet at a local dealer a few days ago - I think it was a "Premier" or whatever there up-level trim is - the insides are nice. Of course whatever I seriously consider I'd be crawling underneath and taking a look at the frame etc (don't mean to sidetrack into that right now ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Thanks everyone for the replies, sorry I should have multi-quoted all that ...
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Caboose66 wrote:
Cruiser has a 28-foot class in their Viewfinder Signature line, the 28BHOB. I couldn't quite tell from your post if you were looking for a full actual bunk house or not but this model has the popular double-double bunks and a separate bathroom entrance on the other side of the trailer. It has the slide out for the kitchen with the island and the outdoor kitchen.
About 6300 lbs dry weight and an advertised hitch weight of 545 lbs.
I purchased a late 2013 Viewfinder Signature 28BHSS and I am really happy with the build quality. I might have entertained this model, but it wasn't out when I was shopping and the dry weight was over the limit I set for myself (6000 lbs.). I tow with a 5.7 liter Tundra double cab and so far, so good.
There's one at Holman Motors if you want to take a look to get an idea of the layout, color, etc. Might not be your exact cup of tea but might get you thinking about some possible layouts.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Dean

Hi Dean, I was thinking at least triple bunk space but thanks for pointing me towards Viewfinder. I saw some other plans in their brochure that were interesting.

I'm not familiar with Cruiser RV but I did see an Enterra parked next to me at storage the other day. Looks nice. Have they been around awhile?

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
Yes, the F-250 is getting a little old.

That is the first time I've seen that layout on the Flagstaff web site, and I've been there a lot lately - bought a 832IKBS three weeks ago.

The others

Heartland North Trail and Wilderness -

NT KING 33TBUD - http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=lightweight&sc=NTTT&i=NT+KING+33TBUD&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

WD 3250 BS - http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=lightweight&sc=WD&i=WD+3250+BS&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

Prime Time Tracer (Forest River) - 3200 BHT

http://www.primetimerv.com/default.asp?page=products&choice=floorviewer&model=tracer&name=4846&series=Executive

Palomino Solaire (Forest River) - 307QBDSK

http://www.palominorv.com/productinfo.aspx?model=solaireultralite&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=5116&RVType=

Kodiak (Dutchmen/ Thor) - 300BHSL

http://kodiak-rv.com/index.php?p=floorplans&model=300BHSL&coast=

Wow thanks PawPaw! The Primetime and the Kodiak look very interesting, I was hoping for quad bunks but with the slideout we could fit four in the back of those I think.

I really like the bath next to the queen BR, kind of gives some separation from the main living space. I didn't think much of an outside kitchen until I saw them popping up in newer models and now I can see having that in the future with all the cooking we do outside. And inside with that island kitchen it looks like a nice space. I didn't check to see who else does the massive U dinette / couch like Open Range, I think for a large family that would be useful.

I made notes on all of these so I'll be checking them out as I find them. Thanks! Nice to see all the thought that has been put into floorplans since I last looked at TTs. 7-8 years ago it was typically just rear bunks and one slide (from what I remember, the mind could be going for all I know...)

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 34Ft Flagstaff Ultra light which is a misnomer as it goes for a good 84oo lbs or so. Came with load range C tires whish was optimistic in my opinion so I put on Es to be safe. I pull with a 2500 Ram CC 4X4 CTD
charles weidman

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Makes sense TriumpGuy. I'm sorry for the assumption.

Keystone Passport 3320 looks the lightest I have found so far at about 6500 dry.

Keystone Bullet 34 about 7k dry.

Forest River Surveyor 34 TBD weight but I liek the giant U-lounge like Open Range offers too.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Caboose66
Explorer
Explorer
Cruiser has a 28-foot class in their Viewfinder Signature line, the 28BHOB. I couldn't quite tell from your post if you were looking for a full actual bunk house or not but this model has the popular double-double bunks and a separate bathroom entrance on the other side of the trailer. It has the slide out for the kitchen with the island and the outdoor kitchen.
About 6300 lbs dry weight and an advertised hitch weight of 545 lbs.
I purchased a late 2013 Viewfinder Signature 28BHSS and I am really happy with the build quality. I might have entertained this model, but it wasn't out when I was shopping and the dry weight was over the limit I set for myself (6000 lbs.). I tow with a 5.7 liter Tundra double cab and so far, so good.
There's one at Holman Motors if you want to take a look to get an idea of the layout, color, etc. Might not be your exact cup of tea but might get you thinking about some possible layouts.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Dean

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the F-250 is getting a little old.

That is the first time I've seen that layout on the Flagstaff web site, and I've been there a lot lately - bought a 832IKBS three weeks ago.

The others

Heartland North Trail and Wilderness -

NT KING 33TBUD - http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=lightweight&sc=NTTT&i=NT+KING+33TBUD&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

WD 3250 BS - http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=lightweight&sc=WD&i=WD+3250+BS&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

Prime Time Tracer (Forest River) - 3200 BHT

http://www.primetimerv.com/default.asp?page=products&choice=floorviewer&model=tracer&name=4846&series=Executive

Palomino Solaire (Forest River) - 307QBDSK

http://www.palominorv.com/productinfo.aspx?model=solaireultralite&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=5116&RVType=

Kodiak (Dutchmen/ Thor) - 300BHSL

http://kodiak-rv.com/index.php?p=floorplans&model=300BHSL&coast=
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
TriumphGuy wrote:
I might have to swap out for a lesser capable TV than my F250 for other reasons so just trying to think ahead.

I don't think you'll find anything satisfactory for that general floorplan and half ton capable. Maybe the HD F-150.

Lots of companies are coming out with a variation of that floorplan.

Heartland North Trail and Wilderness
Prime Time Tracer
Palomino Solaire
Kodiak
etc

They are all over 7k dry, which means 8-8500 loaded with a family's gear, over 1000 pounds of TW with a family of 4+ to support and a bed full or camping gear. Payloads of crew cab half tons just don't support that.

APT - no argument from me about the realities of a 1/2 ton. I'm thinking 1 ton van here ... the E350 and Chevy 3500 would do the big ones but I've also considered the Nissan NV3500 which has a bit lower tow capacity so just looking at my options.

I'll look up those names though, I started googling and got dizzy for all the different TT names out there, quite a bit more than the last time I remember shopping ... so thought I'd ask here first if anyone could save me some time ๐Ÿ™‚

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
If the 8,500 mfr dry weight/ 10,400 GAWR / 940 hitch weight is too much, you might want to look at the LT305BHS - doesn't have the island and a smaller bunkhouse with three bunks - same outside kitchen, double dinette and bath - plus a nice wardrobe slide in the main bedroom. 2 1/2 feet shorter and 2,000 lbs lighter.

The Flagstaff Classic Super Light 832BHIKWS is similar to the OR, but about 900 lbs lighter.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/ClassicSuperLite/default.aspx?model=classic&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=5432&RVType=trailers

thanks PawPaw for the Flagstaff example, that might be more reasonable. I also completely missed the LT305 - that's an interesting option, it loses the island but it's lighter, and the wardrobe slide is nice.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
TriumphGuy wrote:
I might have to swap out for a lesser capable TV than my F250 for other reasons so just trying to think ahead.

I don't think you'll find anything satisfactory for that general floorplan and half ton capable. Maybe the HD F-150.

Lots of companies are coming out with a variation of that floorplan.

Heartland North Trail and Wilderness
Prime Time Tracer
Palomino Solaire
Kodiak
etc

They are all over 7k dry, which means 8-8500 loaded with a family's gear, over 1000 pounds of TW with a family of 4+ to support and a bed full or camping gear. Payloads of crew cab half tons just don't support that.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
If the 8,500 mfr dry weight/ 10,400 GAWR / 940 hitch weight is too much, you might want to look at the LT305BHS - doesn't have the island and a smaller bunkhouse with three bunks - same outside kitchen, double dinette and bath - plus a nice wardrobe slide in the main bedroom. 2 1/2 feet shorter and 2,000 lbs lighter.

The Flagstaff Classic Super Light 832BHIKWS is similar to the OR, but about 900 lbs lighter.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/ClassicSuperLite/default.aspx?model=classic&page=floorplandetails&floorplanid=5432&RVType=trailers
Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab