cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinion on Truck Reliability

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded travel trailer last year and the new trailer weighs approximately 8000lbs. I've been towing with a 2017 3.5l ecoboost. The power has been great....no issues there but I have felt uncomfortable on the highway. The trailer throws the truck around.

3/4 tonne is the answer but I don't have brand new 3/4 tonne kind of money right now.

I am looking at a 2017 Ram Laramie Cummins which I can get after trade for about 20k more. Any insight into this truck. It has 110,000 KM (70,000 miles). Is this truck and engine reliable? It is a well equipped Laramie.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.
41 REPLIES 41

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
If budget is an issue you're sure spending a lot of money for a diesel that you don't need to pull around an 8K travel trailer. Of course, all trucks are complicated these days but I think a diesel has more that can go wrong than a gasser.

While you don't need a diesel you REALLY don't need a 3500 for that travel trailer. I understand all the arguments but, for whatever reason, SRW 3500 trucks are pretty hard to find. Also, with Ram the coil spring rear suspension is a noticeable improvement daily driving to the jarring leaf springs in the 3500. This difference is less noticeable with Ford/Chevy where both are leaf springs.

If you're thinking of upgrading your trailer get the diesel and consider a 3500. For the trailer you have now a 2500 gasser is a great truck. The money you save going gas should get you into something newer... maybe even new.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Before spending money on a different truck, I'd say to figure out why the current rig is giving you handling problems.
1. Look at the truck's payload and other ratings, and figure if you are overloaded or not. Have you weighed your trailer tongue when you are loaded for camping?
2. If not overloaded, is the tongue weight inappropriate? It should be 10% to 15% of total trailer weight.
3. If hitch weight is ok, how long is the trailer? And are you using any anti-sway device? If not, trying a WD hitch with built in sway control is much cheaper than another truck.
4. Are you running LT tires or P tires on the truck? If the latter, switching to LT tires with a shorter sidewall could help alleviate the problem.

There may be other things to look at and try besides these, but you get the idea.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
I assume that’s 21K Canadian? I pay $72 for an oil change, I think $250 maybe a bit more for an oil changes and fuel filters on my 2018. Not sure on the new one but it should be the same.

I agree on prices are high for work. My dealer says run it like you stole it. Problem is with most RVers we aren’t using the truck hard enough.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very reliable truck but what is it’s payload capacity?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact year and model truck you are considering. I was hesitant to buy it after my experience with a 2014 hemi model, which was a nightmare, but the dealer gave me a trade in deal I couldn’t resist. This truck has been much better but not without fault. Repairs and maintenance are very expensive. So far I have had an O2 sensor and the ABS module fail. Both were $1200(CDN) repairs (the first reluctantly covered under warranty). My rear diff has gotten clunky recently as well. Waiting for next service to have it inspected. Every second oil change needs the fuel filters changed at $400.

I just rolled over 80k kms on it with 10k of that towing our 8k trailer. Very happy with the tow experience. The truck is a beast and I love the exhaust brake. Fuel mileage is pretty good. Better than my 2 coworkers Ram 1500s.

I would check with a dealer for out the door pricing on a new order before buying used. Sticker prices are crazy but the discounts are good. I believe they have employee pricing and free diesel upgrade (in Canada) on now. I was out the door for $21k under the msrp after all the discounts, plus 0% financing, which is why I risked it on another Ram. I knew after 3 years I could sell it used for close to what I paid new if I wasn’t happy.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with IdaD’s view on 2500 versus 3500. Not everyone does, main thing is to be safe and safety most of the time is defensive driving, assured clear distance, speed, driver distraction etc. Having a 3500 versus a 2500 will not make you safer in a properly loaded truck.

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer should be able to give you maintenance that has been performed on this truck. He also should be able, based on that maintenance, tell you what needs to be done next and when. These trucks are hot commodities. My 2018 was on the road sold before my new 2020 orientation was complete.

If it’s been taken care of you will have very little problems. Also always use the exhaust brake. I have mine on full all the time. It helps keep the system cleaned out. Further, you can run Power Service Diesel Kleen (it’s approved by Cummins). It will help clean up the fuel system if it needs it.

The ratio is 3 gallons of fuel to an ounce of Diesel Kleen. I put it in ahead of fueling up based upon remaining mileage in tank and mpg.

Have the brakes checked. Mine looked almost perfect at 62000 miles because of using the exhaust brake.

Squeeze the dealer to printout the maintenance history and get the service manager to go over work that needs done.

It will be a great truck, I’m sure. Another thing always use tow haul on the tranny, that’s a 68rfe and it likes to be in tow haul for protecting the integrity of the tranny.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think in 2019 the Cummins went to a CP4 pump which is hot garbage. However I think they dropped it in 2021 and went back to a CP3 unit, which is what 2018 and earlier had. The 2017 you are looking at would be good to go and a huge step up from your F150.

I have a 2015 with 70,000+ miles on it and I had a water pump failure (which was later recalled) and a back-end NOX sensor failed which I replaced myself (I think the part was about $200 on Amazon). Otherwise it's been a solid truck and I plan to keep it a lot more years.

If you are buying used I would absolutely ignore the 2500 vs SRW 3500 distinction for this vintage Ram. Your used market is limited and they're the same truck from a capability standpoint, maybe with a $200 investment in Timbrens or airbags on the 2500 (and it wouldn't be necessary at all for your current trailer).
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RAMer-Jammer
Explorer
Explorer
The only downside to a 2017 Cummins is that it isn’t a 2018 Cummins, and the only downside to a 2018 Cummins is that it isn’t a 2019 . . ..
Seeing a pattern here? It goes back to at least 2012, and the only downside is back when EPA requirements led RAM to go with DEF exhaust systems, but even that was a benefit in better tuned engines that allowed the exhaust system to clean them up rather than constraining engines to reduce emissions.
Some will disagree, but they are probably all running non-compliant vehicles that reduce resale value.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
It’s now RAM. Sould be a good year.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

HydrogenCyanide
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to drive it tomorrow. Its about 80 miles away. The pictures look great.

I'm sure my current trailer will be way under its limit.

Any things to look out for with the 2017 Dodge and Cummins combination?

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
They are great trucks, 500,000 miles truck at least. But gives us some more data. Take pics of the GVWR sticker, and the tire sticker (which includes the payload) and give us the data. No doubt it will handle your trailer but also give us the stickers on that, which are unloaded vehicle weight and the GVWR. Also model of trailer.

If you want to future proof yourself, get the same truck but a 3500.

Awesome getting a new truck! Always.