cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outfitter or Polar Cub or Both - Roof Repair Pictures

Bleugoat
Explorer
Explorer
Today I proceeded to fix my A/C leak and was surprised at the cause. When I removed the A/C I found three holes in the TPO under it. They were caused by sheet metal screws protruding through the A/C pan about 1/4". All the parts of the A/C were secured to the pan with sheet metal screws, and all of them (I did not count, but there must have been at least 20 of them) protruding through the pan by 1/4 to 3/8 inches.

The three holes:

The A/C is designed to ride on the foam opening gasket and two pieces of support foam, one in front and one in back. The back support gasket had come off and allowed the screws to penetrate the TPO.

Picture showing missing piece of foam:

Front spacer and gasket:

Picture of protruding screws does not show them well, but take it from me, they are sharp and nasty:

The gasket kit I bought and the 1X3 wood collar I put around the opening:

I put down 1X3 wood spacers to carry the foam spacers. The wood collar and the wood spacers were set in adhesive sealant and covered with eternabond tape. This raises the A/C high enough that the offending screws will not touch the TPO roof:

New gasket and foam spacers applied to A/C:

Set the A/C back on opening, tighten down gasket with 4 bolts from inside, re-install interior unit and the temporary fix is complete.

I say temporary because the TPO and underlayment around the A/C has come unglued and a real roof repair is in order. But that will have to wait until next spring because I am taking this TC to Colorado in a couple of weeks come *ell or high water.

For those with inquiring minds, no beer was consumed during this job. We had it finished by 9 am. Now this afternoon is another story.

I have the following questions:

Do all roof a/c units have protruding screws on the bottom?

Why would a manufacturer install an a/c unit with protruding screws and make no provision for protecting the TPO roof?

I would think that if all air conditioners were installed like this there would be a lot more roof failures, so I am thinking mine is one of a kind.
2003 Dodge 3/4 T Cummins
2005 Outfitter Apex 8
10 REPLIES 10

Bleugoat
Explorer
Explorer
F350mule wrote:
I looked at mine, and the ones I could see and feel protruded slightly but were blunt.

Thanks for checking and letting me know. When I first saw the ones on mine I thought of taking the grinder to them. Maybe someone neglected to blunt mine in the assembly process.
2003 Dodge 3/4 T Cummins
2005 Outfitter Apex 8

F350mule
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at mine, and the ones I could see and feel protruded slightly but were blunt.
2001 F-350 Crew-cab 4x4 2001 Lance 1010 Life is good

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
Bleugoat wrote:
Nemo667 wrote:
.....Could it be that the penetration of screws is by design and the foam inserts/spacers are meant to keep the screws from touching the roof?

Ben, I think you are exactly right. I was just shocked to see sharp screws so close to my roof.

The problem was compounded by the fact that three of the four hold down bolts had worked loose allowing the A/C to rock around some. The holes in the TPO were wallowed out. I would suggest to everyone to check the four hold down bolts yearly and/or put blue loctite on them.

Bill
Will do. Thanks for posting. ...Good information.
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Bleugoat wrote:
Nemo667 wrote:
.....Could it be that the penetration of screws is by design and the foam inserts/spacers are meant to keep the screws from touching the roof?

Ben, I think you are exactly right. I was just shocked to see sharp screws so close to my roof.

The problem was compounded by the fact that three of the four hold down bolts had worked loose allowing the A/C to rock around some. The holes in the TPO were wallowed out. I would suggest to everyone to check the four hold down bolts yearly and/or put blue loctite on them.

Bill

That's great advice on the bolts! I hadn't thought of it. I just had my roof replaced and I suppose I should check the tightness of them. They actually forgot to plug it in.!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Bleugoat
Explorer
Explorer
Nemo667 wrote:

Bill
2003 Dodge 3/4 T Cummins
2005 Outfitter Apex 8

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with Bleugoat: bad design followed up with bad installation.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

F350mule
Explorer
Explorer
I will look at mine this afternoon, I installed it brand-new in '09 and don't remember if it had protruding screws or not. I'll get back later.
2001 F-350 Crew-cab 4x4 2001 Lance 1010 Life is good

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
Bill,

I have not had my Polar Cub off the roof yet so my post may be completely off base...

Could it be that the penetration of screws is by design and the foam inserts/spacers are meant to keep the screws from touching the roof?
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
That is really surprising all the way around. Yikes.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Bleugoat
Explorer
Explorer
Bump.

I think that Coleman Polar Cub is at fault for building an air conditioning unit that has sharp screws sticking out the bottom of the pan, and Outfitter is even more to blame for installing it on my TPO roof.
2003 Dodge 3/4 T Cummins
2005 Outfitter Apex 8