cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

painting cabinets

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever paint their cabinets without sanding? If so what paint did you use?
19 REPLIES 19

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some tips and techniques click here (I should add that I refinished some furniture pieces for this guy when he gave up part way through the stripping.)

I would add
* Prep : clean and dull
* Primer : I like BIN _Shellac_ based primer (they now carry a synthetic shellac version)
* Paint : Avoid inexpensive latex paint. These are prone to blocking. If you can get oil-based paint in your location (some low-VOC states make it hard to rind) I'd opt for that. There are other options but most of them require spray equipment and good ventilation.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
wickedstang03 wrote:
What about a paint primer combo?

No, that's a gimmick for lazy wannabes.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
What about a paint primer combo?

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would use one of the general finishes products, it is a gel stain. I don't know if it comes in white. I just redone a few cabinets in my laundry room there was no sanding. I used a good deglosser then used the general finishes product. Very nice turnout and was so easy I also applied the product to my old china hutch in java and it turned out very beautiful. I did all of this in one weekend.
Just us
(Me, the honey, 3 kids, and furbaby)
Happy in North Dakota

2008 Ford F350 Supercrew V10
2014 Montana mountaineer 310RET
2006 Ford F150

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
wickedstang03 wrote:
I wish they would fix the issue with pictures not showing up...

Use photobucket.com, pics show up from there !

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutchie1979 wrote:
I have used this product on my home kitchen cabinets without sanding, and it works great.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/zinsser/primer-sealers/bulls-eye-1-2-3-water-base-primer

They actually specify that sanding is not required with this product. The trailer would see far less use than a home kitchen so I think it would hold up just fine.

We also userd Bullseye primer and it's been holding up well so far. We also used this to prime over the wallpaper.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

wickedstang03
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they would fix the issue with pictures not showing up...

Sondy132001
Explorer
Explorer
We lightly sanded our cabinets, then used primer and now we are using Nuvo Cabinet paint, I have a 1982 Fleetwood wilderness lite 18ft Travel Trailer and we are completely redoing the inside.

S
Before

After

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
It will look as good as the work you put into it...
For this application, I would sand (paper or chemical)PRIMER and paint with an oil based paint. Some will try to say that latex or water based is as durable. But you will get many more miles out of oil....That is if you want to get many years out of it.
If you may be selling the trailer in a few years, I would take some of the other recommendations listed here.
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Sherwin-Williams sells a great cabinet refinishing paint,but the secret is a good prep

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask the experts at a paint store like Sherwin Willams and not a big box store.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally, I would lightly sand with 220 or 320, wipe down with dust rag, prime, then paint.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Use a plastic adhesion promoter, it is available at most paint stores.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dutchie1979
Explorer
Explorer
I have used this product on my home kitchen cabinets without sanding, and it works great.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/zinsser/primer-sealers/bulls-eye-1-2-3-water-base-primer

They actually specify that sanding is not required with this product. The trailer would see far less use than a home kitchen so I think it would hold up just fine.