cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passport Elite or Shadow Cruiser

dnhx
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to buy our first TT and have narrowed it down to Keystone Passport Elite 23rb or the Cruiser RV Shadow Cruiser S225RBS. Both are about the same size (26') and weight (4700lbs) and have similar floor plans. Each has some things we like and some we don't - we could live with either.

Since this is our first TT, I am not sure what thins I should be looking at to determine which is going to be best long term. I did notice that the Passport uses a cable for the slide out, but I don't know if that is any worse than other slide out mechanisms. What about appliances (A/C, stove, refrigerator, etc) and tires and axles, does the brand matter?

I know any brand of trailer is going to have problems, but wondering if either of these will be better long term?

They are at different dealers, what questions should we ask to determine which dealer will provide the best support after we buy?

Any advice or reviews of either model would be appreciated.

Thank you

Don
Dallas,TX
8 REPLIES 8

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I'm another Fun Finder fan -- see my blog link in my signature -- this is our second one. But no manufacturer is perfect -- I have no way to compare quality control practices at the other firms. I can say that when there are warranty issues, Cruiser steps up to the plate and handles the problem.

Like Dan, I'm on my 2nd Cruiser RV Fun Finder. The first - 2008 X-160 - was practically issue free.

The 2nd - 2015 189FDS - has had a couple of issues that were pretty frustrating, but reflection over time has shown me that the issues were roughly equally divided between the manufacturer, the appliance manufacturer (Atwood (fridge)), and the dealer.

I think they have all been solved, and I am back in love with this new trailer. What a great floor plan.

I vote Fun Finder.

Good luck making your decision. I guess you can't hardly go wrong if you get to go camping!
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

DenverRaider
Explorer
Explorer
I had a FunFinder (Shadow Cruiser and FF are both made by Cruiser RV and are pretty similar) and loved it. We traded it in for a slightly larger Shadow Cruiser 195WBS model. It is also a great rig. I strongly would recommend FF/Shadow Cruiser products to anyone. Dont know anything about a Keystone, but I do see some of them on the road.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Fun Finder purchased June 2011 so four seasons of use. We are very happy with it. My only contact with the manufacturer was to request an owners manual because one didn't come with our camper. Cruiser mailed one to me no problem. I have to say though that the manual is useless. Cruiser uses the Schwintek slide mechanism. The slide seems deeper than many I observe on campgrounds and ours has worked without any problem except for one issue. Three nylon rollers are mounted on the camper frame to support the bottom of the slide as it moves in and out. One of the rollers was impacted with caulking so that it would not roll. Over a number of cycles it began to damage the floor of the slide. I managed to dig out the caulking and free the roller. Anyone with this type of slide should check those rollers to make sure they are working properly. I would have to say that our degree of satisfaction is related in part to our completely satisfactory experience with the dealer. It's important to work with a dealer that you trust and have confidence in.

Heavy_Metal_Doc
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Passport Elite 32RE we bought a little over a year ago. Dexter axles where a point of note for me when we first looked at it. Everything else is pretty much all the same standard RV builders materials / supplies. What really sold us was the floor plan with a big kitchen area, the price / deal was right, and the dealer was local. Probably 30 cycles on the cable slide and no issues yet - and they are long slides. They do sometimes pop / creak a little, but I check the mechanism / mounts often and haven't seen anything suspicious yet. Only a couple of minor warranty issues and they got taken care of painlessly.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm another Fun Finder fan -- see my blog link in my signature -- this is our second one. But no manufacturer is perfect -- I have no way to compare quality control practices at the other firms. I can say that when there are warranty issues, Cruiser steps up to the plate and handles the problem.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

panamacamper1
Explorer
Explorer
See which dealership has a starter kit they will throw in to sweeten the deal, you can also get them to throw in sway control like the equilizer highly recommended. As you stated all units have problems, it comes with moving a home down a highway, but the memories are priceless. Also the service department will only work the first year you have warranty, you will buy extended years on appliances and such. If something is going to happen its going to be during the first year, so use your unit, dont let it sit the first year and find out on the 366 day something is wrong. Both units will have similar appliances inside. They seem to be the same in most brands. Dometic has the industry covered in that deparment. Are the units four season friendly. I dont think shadow cruiser has four season trailers, that is how they save on weight. Some keystones do though. With those weight trailers you shouldnt have an issue with axles or tires. Look for enclosed underbellies, installed tv, check cabinet drawers to make sure everything is lined up. Other than that, welcome and enjoy your new life.

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
Our first trailer was a 16' Fun Finder, purchased new in 2006 - loved it and traveled over 15,000 miles in it, then gave it to our daughter who is still enjoying it 8 years later. No problems. Now we have a 22' Shadow Cruiser 2011 which we purchased used in 2012 - love it as well - over 10,000 without a problem. We find this brand built to last. Perhaps we've just been lucky?

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Fun finder. On my 2nd one and would buy another one