cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Truck Camper

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
We're just getting into the TC world - downsizing from our 5th wheel toyhauler. We've been looking for an inexpensive older unit to cut our teeth with, but we've found there's plenty of junk out there - especially older wood frame units that have suffered from leaks.

With that in mind, we're looking at non-wood brands. Alpenlite with their aluminum frames, and some of the fiberglass units like Bigfoot, Northern Lite, etc.

I just found an old Peak unit in excellent condition in our price range, but I've never heard of them before. It looks just like a Kodiak, and the owner believes that they were bought out by Kodiak in the early 2000s.

Does anybody know anything about these campers? Is there a wood frame under the fiberglass? Or is it built like a boat? Anything in particular to look for on this brand?

Thanks in advance for the help.
18 REPLIES 18

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

Aluminum framing is no guarantee that the camper won't leak, and if it does leak you will still have problems with mold and rot. You need to keep up on the maintenance.

me thinks all aluminum camper such as Living lite wouldnt have anything to rot even if it did sprang a leak,as everything even the interior is made of aluminum.

Aluminum or fiberglas shell would be the best choice imo.

wonder why Airstream co.doesnt build TCs??

noxinnhoj
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a kustom coach truck camper yesterday,looks just like a Kodiak,google kustom coach tc
1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite

abslayer
Explorer
Explorer
These camper were build about 100 k from where I live Peak was the name of manufacture of TC Kodiak TC

They are no longer building campers.
I looked at these TC and FW back in the day many times and they were of very high quality and dam expensive at the time about 25% more than others at the time.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Joe417 wrote:
I notice that the M8801 Palomino's, used, are fairly reasonable in price. My first TC was a 2003 or 4 that I bought cheap because it needed repair. I replaced the roof and front cap, finding them easily repairable. The side and rear were aluminum framed stress skin panels. The top was a stress skin panel with a wooden border frame that sits on top of the aluminum framed walls.

I couldn't tell it was on the truck.(2500HD) Unfortunately my wife didn't like the interior proportions as she's 5'1" and everything in it is far from the floor.(no basement)

The complaints I've heard are usually based on fit and finish, which I think are voiced by those with loftier personalities. My only issues were that the tanks were small, giving us only about 3 days on the black.

I paid more than twice the price of the Palomino for my current 2005 AF and it needed repairs too. The AF is much more comfie, but, it almost twice as heavy.

I think the Palomino is a good lower budget TC. My wife didn't, so I lost. It would be nice to win just once in a while...or maybe not.

Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks for the advice - is the Palomino 8801 a popup camper or hardside?

Prefer hard side TBH - we do a lot of off roading at the dunes and other riding areas, and a popup can be pretty loud inside. Drunkards ride their quads until about 4 am, then the early risers get started about 6am.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
54suds wrote:
The Kodiak 's quality was similar to BF 1500 series or a N.L. lite series they had 1 inch foam insulation and the windows were single pane. The shell was made of 4 fiberglass panels that attached together the same way Bigfoot and NL are .

That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I suspected as much, but I really wanted some kind of confirmation from someone smarter/ more experienced that me in the TC world.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I notice that the M8801 Palomino's, used, are fairly reasonable in price. My first TC was a 2003 or 4 that I bought cheap because it needed repair. I replaced the roof and front cap, finding them easily repairable. The side and rear were aluminum framed stress skin panels. The top was a stress skin panel with a wooden border frame that sits on top of the aluminum framed walls.

I couldn't tell it was on the truck.(2500HD) Unfortunately my wife didn't like the interior proportions as she's 5'1" and everything in it is far from the floor.(no basement)

The complaints I've heard are usually based on fit and finish, which I think are voiced by those with loftier personalities. My only issues were that the tanks were small, giving us only about 3 days on the black.

I paid more than twice the price of the Palomino for my current 2005 AF and it needed repairs too. The AF is much more comfie, but, it almost twice as heavy.

I think the Palomino is a good lower budget TC. My wife didn't, so I lost. It would be nice to win just once in a while...or maybe not.

Good luck with your hunt.
Joe and Evelyn

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
The Kodiak 's quality was similar to BF 1500 series or a N.L. lite series they had 1 inch foam insulation and the windows were single pane. The shell was made of 4 fiberglass panels that attached together the same way Bigfoot and NL are .
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
54suds wrote:
Peak /Kodiak info

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23332061.cfm

That looks exactly like the one I was looking at. Same floorplan and everything. Any feedback on the quality of these units? Are they as well built and trouble free as the Nothern Lite or Bigfoot campers?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've offered this advice many many times, and will offer it here again:

CONDITION is far more important than brand reputation or any "known issues" with an older camper from a defunct manufacturer.

If the camper is 10, 15, 20 years old, is in good shape, leak-free, and everything works, it doesn't matter if it's from the best brand ever or the worst brand ever. It's made it this far. How bad could it possibly be?

Aluminum framing is no guarantee that the camper won't leak, and if it does leak you will still have problems with mold and rot. You need to keep up on the maintenance.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
Peak /Kodiak info

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23332061.cfm
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Reelescape1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a '04 Lance 820 that fits what you describe. You should be able to find one similar for the price you mention (under 10K).

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a request for advice would be in order.

I'm looking for a no-frills type TC, with a wet bath, N/S queen bed (I'm 6'4") that's short enough for me to tow a boat or flatbed behind without much of an extension if any. Solidly built and long lasting is much more important to me than a 4 burner stove, dry bath, or microwave. No slides - don't wan't anything with a big hole in the side of the structure and a bunch of weight torquing on said hole. Under $10K, closer to $5K would be preferred.

If you were looking today, what brands and models would you look for and why?

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
Don't rule out all wood framed TC's. What I mean is although my 40year old TC had rot... It was just that. 40 years old. And even with that, the rot was confined to 3 areas. Fridge vent, roof vent and sewer vent. Should those vents been maintained, there may have not been any rot at all. Now mind you, my TC had a FULL fiberglass roof and front cab over. In the newer campers, sometimes the rot is just throughout like the Black Plague. Think workmanship rather than materials. Sometimes older technology trumps newer. Just my 2 cents.

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting feedback. I've never heard of Peak before either. Externally, the TC looks IDENTICAL to the later Kodiak units - carbon copy right down to the location and shape of the panels and storage cabinets.

Anyone out there have any direct experince with Peak/ Kodiak?

I've heard of people that have had a great experience with their Fleetwood units, but let's face it - people are selling these things for a reason, and often the reason is that they don't want to deal with problems that aren't worth fixing. 2 of 2 that I could find and look at had structural problems, and it's easier just to cross them off the list than to roll the dice.

Side note - looked at an old Avion TC today - needed a full restoration, but even after all these years, it was still solid and almost everything worked flawlessly. Plus, it just looked so cool - art deco jet age styling at it's best. They sure don't build them like they used to. If I was interested in a project, I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat.