cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pick-up alternatives

SheDrives
Explorer
Explorer
First off, just let me say I am *SO* not a pick-up kind of gal. But I want a safe ride. One big problem for both of us is the height of a pick-up. Even with the running boards (or whatever the dealer calls them) it's quite difficult to loft ourselves up into the cab of a pick-up.

I'm leaning quite heavily to a Grand Designs Imagine 2600RB which has these general characteristics:
UVW = 5625 lbs
Hitch Weight - 594 lbs
GVWR - 6995 lbs

So, what vehicles can I look at other than pick-up trucks? I've spent hours looking at vehicle specs -- certainly the big 3 pick-up trucks and some alternatives I've stumbled across such as Ford E150 rather than F150 or the Ford Excursion.

I'm willing to buy used or new -- but I need to know exactly which options I need and which ones are not needed. I think we'd like a diesel, and of course the best towing capacity, but beyond that I can be flexible. Would prefer not to have leather interior, but it probably isn't a deal breaker.

So -- you folks who know more about towing than I, please help us out.
20 REPLIES 20

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
That trailer is well within 150/1500 series vehicles. And those vehicles can readily be modified to sit lower. If you don't get carried away, they will still be a good towing platform for that trailer. Unless you need the interior space, pickups are MUCH more useful (IMHO of course).

The mid-sized GM/Chevy trucks could work too.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vans, pickups,or full sized SUVs are all going to require you to step up into them. Both my girls love trucks, but there not for everyone. So pick what you like that will safely tow what you want.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider a 2500 Chevy Suburban?????? Make sure it has a full tow package, not just a hitch and a plug for trailer wire only.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Is there an occasional need for the vehicle to be of a specific for other things besides towing. DH having the disability a van and it's flexibility would seem most practical.
V-8 engine, tow package, with class III hitch, towing mirrors, brake controller if not otherwise included.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GVWR 6995# will have a WET tongue weight closer to 840# when trailer is loaded up 'camp ready' (12% of trailer weight)

A Suburban, Excursion (3/4 ton variety) would be a candidate.

Just check door jamb for 'cargo carrying capacity'......that is the amount of weight you can add to vehicle......passengers, stuff, hitch, tongue weight.

Nothing wrong with a 2 wheel drive SRW (single rear wheel) pickup truck in the 3/4 ton variety either.

Either case.....you will need to 'step up' to get in them

(Our 1 ton 2WD SRW truck sits lower then all other models....even 1/2 tons)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you considered a 2 wheel drive truck? These can be relatively easy to get in and out of.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"