cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

picking gas stations

Spinal_Tap
Explorer
Explorer
One of the aspects of any trip that gives me a little stress is finding a gas station that I can easily pull into and get out of without my wife or multiple strangers having to direct traffic for me. How do you more experienced guys/girls do it? Is there a way to identify trailer friendly gas stations?

thanks
36 REPLIES 36

ceaser_22000
Explorer
Explorer
also findfuelstops.com is a good site lets you see all the stations along your route with street view.

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
We try and use auto/truck stops

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mister_d wrote:
I'm confused.. why can't you come out the way you went in?

You can if you care to back out all the way! Make sure all the 4 wheelers know your intentions so they can stay out of your way.
Just because you can pull up to a pump does not mean the will be clear access to the exit while towing a trailer
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused.. why can't you come out the way you went in?
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
carmelo wrote:
We have one absolute rule and that is to NEVER pull into anyplace that I cannot see an EXIT. Period. This includes CG offices, state and national parks as well.

It is much safer and easy to stop SHORT than to pull in and have to figure a way out. THE WIFE will exit the truck and go find the exit-----if it exists.

Our experience.

CCC

Great rule...

It took a long time to realize that it's much better to slow down to a crawl before making that turn into a gas station and check it out before committing. I don't care if I block traffic for a millisecond or two, sometimes I will put the flashers on to be courteous to those directly behind me.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
We use Next Exit. We love it. R V friendly stations are listed in red. When I get down around a quarter tank I tell the navigator. She tells me the next exit with a red listing. Down side is it is only good on interstates. There is another directory, but I don't remember the name. It is a lot more expensive.
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
We find an exit with lots of choices - drive by and find one that looks easy. I'm not going to plan gas stations in advance or hope some book is up to date and correct.
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

carmelo
Explorer
Explorer
We have one absolute rule and that is to NEVER pull into anyplace that I cannot see an EXIT. Period. This includes CG offices, state and national parks as well.

It is much safer and easy to stop SHORT than to pull in and have to figure a way out. THE WIFE will exit the truck and go find the exit-----if it exists.

Our experience.

CCC
CCC
Pat and Charles C. Culotta, Jr.
Patterson, La.
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
EVERGREEN OWNERS GROUP

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
I was almost always able to find an accessible gas pump at the Flying J, Loves, etc travel plaza.

When I switched from a suburban to a P/U truck, I added a tank in the back so I could drive all day without filling up and then fill up after dropping the trailer (admittedly diesel, but there are similar options for gas)
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
In town,finding a gas station/convenience store with ample maneuvering room can be a challenge. There's a Racetrac about a mile from my home and right off I-4 used by RV'ers all the time, but they have a devil of a time getting in and out, partly due to the access and exit, partly because of traffic volume.

Along the Interstates, plenty of convenience stores with spacious pump islands and very tall awnings, limiting concerns about vertical clearance. And in most cases the fuel cost is less than Flying J, Love's, Pilot, TA, etc.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Generally Pilot, Flying J, TA or Love's, with Sam's/Walmart/Murphy USA all possible. Love Gas Buddy! When we have a choice, we drive nearest the building and then turn into the pump island heading out...we seem to be able to avoid most of the auto traffic that way and always try for an outside island. Agree that starting your search for a station at about the 1/2 tank point is good advice.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
When we were towing our 35' long and about 12' high TT, we would start looking for a gas station when the truck computer said 100 miles due to empty. If there was a truck stop with a big area for gassers, we would use it. Some Flying J's have RV pumps and offer both gas and diesel. They are off to the side of the regular pumps. But we found that we had to pick where we could go that we could get into and not cause any traffic problems. It's a task.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Goose2448
Explorer
Explorer
I deal with it as I go. Being used to driving large rigs is helpful. I have pulled into gas stations in downtown Tampa with 64' rig, 27' foot of that being the truck(you can image my 40 acre turning radius). It isn't easy, but its doable. You just learn the rig and you know what you can and can't do. I use commercial pumps when I can, or the RV pumps, even if I am not towing. I have noticed though that Pilot has switched to all B20, front and back, so I guess I am not going there anymore. As far as gas pumps, just line up and wait. But what ever you do, don't ever block the diesel pump if there are other gas pumps open.
2008 GMC LMM CCLB DRW "Stuff and Things"
2004 Jayco Jayflight

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
I use the "Gas Buddy" app on my phone. Many of the stations have had pictures uploaded so you can kinda see what it looks like. The added benefit is you will know the prices before hand and if they actually have diesel.
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!