cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking up our new tt today.

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after months of research and agony, we're finally scheduled to pick up our new Jayco 267bhsw from the dealer today. The forecast calls for rain, of course, but the weekend looks good and we have a site booked at a local state park. Can't wait to get her home and start filling her up!

Anyone have any helpful advice on what to look for in the pdi?
I got here as quick as I could.
14 REPLIES 14

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually recommend to people that they camp in their driveway the first time. That way if you find you forget something you can run back in the house and get it. Any problems that crop up ? No problem you are at home with your tools.

Then take the next few trips close to home until you get used to how it all works.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let your excitement get the best of you. Slow down and look at each part of the TT. When you think you have seen all, go to a restaurant and have a cup of coffee or soft drink. You will begin to review your experience and remember what you did not ask or look at. Then go back to the dealer and finish the checkout.

Best wishes and may God give you many fun and safe trips.

late_bloomer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks y'all! We got her home and now we're just counting the minutes til we take her out. DW is going to load it up tomorrow while I'm at work. She's truly in her element!
I got here as quick as I could.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to say it. But if it is not right have it fixed before you give them the money.

I missed a window that would not open. The dealer went deaf and I had to get it fixed at a good dealer.

Go make memories and have a great time.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dave54 wrote:
Operate everything yourself, not just let the salesman demonstrate. After he shows you put your own own hands it and operate.

If possible, don't have the salesman show you this stuff, have the lead technician, or service guy show you. Twice now, I've gone through PDI with a local dealership, and the lead technician walked me through everything, not the salesman. This guy knew a heckuva lot more than the salesman could ever hope to know, and he gave me a lot of insight on things to think about.

My local dealer also gives 15percent off anything you buy in the store that day. First go-around, the technician doing the PDI walked me through the store. He told me what he thought I should buy (things like the better stinky slinky), and then told me things that I needed, but could find cheaper, either at Walmart or Amazon.

The guy was great, didn't try to sell me anything frivolous, pointed out everything, answered every question I asked, reiterated key points etc... I don't think the salesman would have been nearly as thorough.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Take a fat wallet and have fun
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I had a service tech PDI mine, he wasn't as good of a BSER but I think he knew more than most salesman! Just my opinion!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a few checklists on the internet. There may be more but these look thorough. As they say in these, you want to catch issues before you sign off and leave the dealer's lot. Even if they are warrantied, the last thing you want is for your TT to be languishing on the dealer's lot for weeks and weeks during the camping season while they get pre-authorization, then order parts and then schedule the work into their schedule to suit their convenience.

Be prepared to spend as much time as needed to go everything and don't let the dealer fool you or pressure you on anything. They'll want you off their lot asap. If you aren't familiar with TTs, try and find a friend, family member or acquaintance to go with you. Even hiring an independent RV tech. would be a good thing if close by. There are so many things to look for.

Be aware that in some cases, depending on what it is, the dealer, RV manufacturer or 3rd party supplier (Lippert for ex.) can blame you for abusing or overloading something. For ex., if the frame is defective when it left the factory or damaged during delivery, they could say you overloaded the trailer or abused it or could simply brush you off with a "it's within spec". I would recommend that you go to a scale and weigh your TT before you get it loaded up and also after loaded up for your records.

changingears.com

Tom Boles

eaglecapowners.com

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun the the new TT.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Operate everything yourself, not just let the salesman demonstrate. After he shows you put your own own hands it and operate.

Double check tire pressures (including the spare) and all connections. Check torque on wheels and all appropriate bolts. Run faucets for several minutes, not just a quick on/off. Sometimes leaks take a while to show.

Bring a flashlight and a mechanics mirror to look under and behind things.

Be prepared to get on your back underneath the rig and check everything there. So wear old clothes or bring a mat.

Be a PITA! Ask lots of questions and do not let up until you understand. The salesman will eventually start rolling his eyes at you, but so what? It is your money, his commission, and will save return trips to the dealer to fix things that should have caught.

There will still be things for you to fix. One common thing is the underneath wiring will be hanging down loose. Almost every rig I have ever looked at on a lot has this problem. Loose wires can snag on sticks and bushes when parking on an unpaved site. Fix with zip ties (a container of 500 for a few bucks from Walmart or a big box store).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to get lots of good replies to this.
All I can say is check EVERYTHING.
Here is something my PDI missed.
Our couch would not fold down without rubbing hard against the wall.
Our slide out did not seal to the camper evenly.
Once of my vents in the ceiling was blocked with foil tape.

So, as you can see, even things you would not thing to check, you need to check!!
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the video.

just work through each function front to back. expect to take a long time. each window, door, curtain, hatch, drawer, appliance, drain, faucet, pump, battery bank, sensor, hitch, valve. seems like a lot but if you go foot by foot its not hard. don't get intimidated or rushed. take your time and be thorough
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

TheSidwells
Explorer
Explorer
Sweet, enjoy your adventures...
The Sidwell's

Live like no tomorrow, plan like there is....

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Video it. Unless you have done this before, a video will allow you something to refer back to next week, month when you dont understand why!