cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning trip to Grand Canyon in November

kimsfa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - new to all of this - planning to pick up our new (to us) travel trailer tomorrow and trying to plan a trip to Grand Canyon in November. We are getting a 2008 Jayco Jay Feather 25' and want to see the sights on our way out and back. We will be traveling from South Florida west. We know it's probably not the best time of year but the only time we can go.....Any hints, tips and suggestions are appreciated!
2008 Jayco Jay Feather LGT 25'
9 REPLIES 9

motorcoach
Explorer
Explorer
I agree it can definitely get chilly at night by the Grand Canyon in November. If you need to warm up and have some extra time, come down to Phoenix.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were there in late October a few years ago -- great time to go to the south rim. Chilly, breezy, long shadows due to the sun angle, great light for photography. If you can wake up early enough, the sunrises are wonderful, as are the sunsets. (No need to wake up early for the sunsets, unless you keep very strange hours.)

Also, the stars are terrific, especially if you go when there is no moon.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

azwildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Temps will be on the cold side. Lived in Flagstaff for 5 years and had snow for Thanksgiving every year. The roads will normally be cleared in a reasonable time. Drop down off the rim to Sedona--Camp Verde area if you want warmer temps.

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure you research the proper equipment for towing on snow and ice, as well as laws in each state regarding that. They may not be the same.

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
I visited the GC the week between Christmas and New Years a few years ago and camped at a KOA in Williams AZ outside the park. It was cold at night and a little cool during the day, but comfortable for walking around. I learned to drain the water hose at night on that trip. The park itself was nice with very little snow, but be cautious of the trails; I chose one that was a little icy so it was a slow hike down and back. As mentioned before, be flexible and watch the weather. With the altitude changes in the area, if its snowing in Williams or Flagstaff, Winslow to the east or Phoenix to the south (on 17) should be clear of snow.

Williams has a train that goes into the park and at that time of the year its a Christmas themed Polar Express type ride. I have ridden the train on an October trip, but I had a train and hotel deal so I was not in the trailer on that trip. The train ride was pretty fun, but watch out for the train robbers on the return trip!

Have fun and enjoy your trip.
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
tonymull wrote:
Expect it to be chilly and the wind blows there all the time. With a little luck you can miss the snow. Go prepared. Flagstaff is a good staging area in case you have to wait for a break in the weather.

Oh yes, the WIND - WOW.

The folks that had flown in from California and Vegas, they were in so much pain. On Christmas day at the main visitors center, so many people in yoga pants and chic North Face wind breakers, facing a 30+ mph wind from the North in 15ยฐF temps. I could almost feel sorry for them ๐Ÿ™‚

I had heavy denim jeans on, a full length winter parka with a sweater under it, wool scarf wrapped around my face and neck, wool beanie, wool mittens, and by my side a dog that looked like he's from Game of Thrones. Oh, boots with YakTrax too. Some areas were salted, but a lot of areas had plenty of ice.

A few days later, it was in the 40s again, much nicer for walking around.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Expect it to be chilly and the wind blows there all the time. With a little luck you can miss the snow. Go prepared. Flagstaff is a good staging area in case you have to wait for a break in the weather.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
North side likely will not be open in November, it's high elevation and gets plenty of snow.

The south side will be fine. The full hookup CG inside the park may or may not have water. It was turned off when I visited this past December.

Weather was fine in Arizona, Nevada, California... however New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma were having a rough time of it. Interstate 40 was closed on/off a few times in NM, TX and OK. I ended up heading from Santa Fe to Denver to pick up I 70 to head east again.

All in all, don't worry about it, just resist the urge to plan everything down to the minute, likewise I wouldn't bother with reservations. The weather will test you, so you'll need to be patient, flexible and self sufficient... I advise a generator, and at least three 20# propane bottles.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
kimsfa wrote:
Hi - new to all of this - planning to pick up our new (to us) travel trailer tomorrow and trying to plan a trip to Grand Canyon in November. We are getting a 2008 Jayco Jay Feather 25' and want to see the sights on our way out and back. We will be traveling from South Florida west. We know it's probably not the best time of year but the only time we can go.....Any hints, tips and suggestions are appreciated!

Weather! Weather! Start checking the weather a month before you depart. Have a plan "B" set up. I prefer the north side of th GC