cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

portable battery power

Fishy_Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I want to carry something with me in our TT that I can hook to my TT battery to operate the slides. My wife and I are going to do some dry camping for 3 days or so. I want to take something with me easy to use to operate slides with the TT's battery will be weak.

I do want a generator. I know I can hook my truck to the camper but I want something in addition to that.

I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Fishy_Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Fishy

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just leave your tow vehicle plugged in and running when operating your slides, provided your tow vehicle is wired to charge the battery?
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
...you'd be better off just installing a second battery (best results would be to install two batteries of the same size, capacity and age at the same time) but just getting a similar battery to your current one would still be a help.

The OP would be best severed by buying two batteries that go to replace the RV (single?) battery. Then use the charged single battery as a spare for backup per the OP's original need in this thread. I would make sure that for the spare, there was some way to "bolt" it down.

I would not consider adding a second battery to an older one (even if the same size/capacity) as the new battery will be greatly hampered by the old battery when in parallel. I know Skip touched on this, just thought it would be best to provide a bit more explanation 🙂
I love me some land yachting

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Costco is a good place to find a nice one.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used two of these jump start battery packs back in my tent camping which was really handy to have back then

Since then the batteries don't hold much a charge any more so they are just taking up space here. I guess you could find a replacement battery somewhere for them - never looked...

With my multiple batteries, portable B&D VEC1093DBD 40AMP smart mode charger, and 2KW Honda generator sitting in the tail gate corner of my now all the the time I don't have much need for the jump start battery packs anymore...

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
If all you want it a means of operating slides from an auxiliary battery, then you can use just about ANY 2 volt battery for the purpose. It will be LIGHTLY tested when used for that purpose. If you end up using it for MORE things while dry camping (cool weather running the furnace) then you'll need a better battery so it can withstand frequent discharge/charge cycles. In THAT case you'd be better off just installing a second battery (best results would be to install two batteries of the same size, capacity and age at the same time) but just getting a similar battery to your current one would still be a help. For dry camping without utilities OFTEN you really need a couple of true "deep cycle" batteries (not a modified starting battery like the RV/Marine deep cycle). Starting batteries do NOT stand up well to deep discharges and usually will give up after just a few.

Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about one of these Power Packs:

Duracell Power Pack 600

I've got one (by Xantrex) in the garage that I use during power outages and jump starting the car, etc.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with a battery pack I got from Sears that provides DC power and will also jump start my TV if ever needed. I got the small one on sale, no bells and whistles. If I need to power my laptop, I've a small cigarette lighter inverter that does the job well.

I'm converting my one 12V to two 6V batteries and will also carry that as an additional power source, in addition to my generator. I mostly dry camp and one 12V battery is not enough, especially if you need to run the fans or the furnace without benefit of the generator.

Carolyn

Carolyn
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS
2013 Chevy Express 3500 - 6.0L V8, 6 speed trans.
Wolfhounds Duan, Vonnie, Cadhla, Sebastian and wee puppy MoonPie
And not to be forgotten, litte red terrier, Ozzy, the dog "Down Under"

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling, I always carry a battery jump pack. If trailer battery is down, or if truck battery has run down, you can jump start the battery to get the truck started, pull in the trailer slide, or charge a cell phone. Also great for helping out a fellow traveler. Portable, convenient and always ready, if you keep it charged. Charging it is part of my "get ready" to travel.
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Grab a small cheap generator , use it if you need it . Carry an extra charged battery .

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
If you can do it, consider adding a second battery connected in parallel with the present one. We have dual batteries on our HiLo and raise the top from the batteries. There is always power left for dry camping. If your present battery is getting old you should probably buy two new batteries for better results.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU