cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pre-Buy Inspection

Dslr
Explorer
Explorer
I know a lot of people have found issues on travel trailers before they leave the lot but in a lot of cases they find them on the first trip out. As a newbie, is there any recommendations for the pre-buy inspection? What should I make sure I look at before the trailer leaves the lot?

I did a search for pre-buy inspections, but nothing came up.
25 REPLIES 25

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
There's a good pdi on Keystoneforums.com somewhere. It's a "sticky" but I couldn't find it.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Dslr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the links!!

JWP127
Explorer
Explorer
I found it. Hope it helps.
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
I copy - pasted the link into my browser and the pre-purchase checklist popped up correctly.

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
here is a link to "Woodglue's" check list:

http://lanceowners.hoop.la/fileSendAction/fcType/0/fcOid/521473819593374155/filePointer/521473819593473366/fodoid/521473819593473358/Pre-Inspection-PDI_V113_2.pdf

gdavidg
Explorer
Explorer
On the Lance Owners of America website a lady who goes by the moniker "Wood Glue" has a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) checklist that is the "Standard" response by almost all posters on that site to people looking for advice of what to look for prior to purchase.

Also a very good RV Forum with knowledgeable folks, and polite responses. It is free but they have some forum sections that can only be available to paid members ($35 for lifetime).

JWP127
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem. The TT was nose high and he said it was fine. I had to buy a new part (not sure what the part name is) to lower the nose of it.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful if the dealer sets up your WD hitch. On one new TT I watched the tech set it up all wrong, hitch head too high etc. Decided to let him finish up with no comment. Drove out of the sales lot to a vacant parking lot down the street and set it up correctly. I've had many TT's and hitches and have all the big tools to do it right.

When the hitch is set up right the TV and TT should each sit at pre-hook up levels.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

JWP127
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
JWP127 wrote:
I recently purchased my first TT and found a pre-purchase inspection sheet on here that someone posted in a PDF. For the life of me I cannot find that sheet, and properly thank them. I spent 9 hours at the dealership, of which 7 were me doing the inspection.

IMO I would not buy from a dealership that will not let you do a thorough inspection prior to signing any paperwork.

7 hours for customer orientation is absurd :R - 2 hrs maybe for a newbie, less if the customer has owned a trailer before. Someone has to pay for those "7 hours" and if that wasn't an itemized cost you paid for yourself then that cost will have to be covered by everyone else purchasing a camper at this dealership. Yeah, that's responsible - "I want what I want because that's what I want, to heck with everyone else." :S

When the a/c wasn't working right and it took them 2 hours to fix, well, that's on them. And when I had to replace part of my WD hitch, which took them an hour to do, well that's on them too. (This is after they said my WD would work). It wasn't me wanting "what I want". But good job assuming....

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JWP127 wrote:
I recently purchased my first TT and found a pre-purchase inspection sheet on here that someone posted in a PDF. For the life of me I cannot find that sheet, and properly thank them. I spent 9 hours at the dealership, of which 7 were me doing the inspection.

IMO I would not buy from a dealership that will not let you do a thorough inspection prior to signing any paperwork.

7 hours for customer orientation is absurd :R - 2 hrs maybe for a newbie, less if the customer has owned a trailer before. Someone has to pay for those "7 hours" and if that wasn't an itemized cost you paid for yourself then that cost will have to be covered by everyone else purchasing a camper at this dealership. Yeah, that's responsible - "I want what I want because that's what I want, to heck with everyone else." :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Dslr wrote:
Great info all!! I'll take a look at what I can during the inspection and then just deal with any issues as they come.
A leak can end up very expensive. There are certain things I would absolutely not put off.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

JWP127
Explorer
Explorer

I told them I would not sign anything until I went thru the TT with my sheet, which helped a immensely. And while I was inspecting it, the tech was showing me how to operate the various things on the TT, and he was very patient (at least until the 7th hour, but I cannot blame him). I found things wrong with the TT and they fixed everything they could while I was there. The only things they could not fix was a small scratch on the outside and scratches on the woodwork in the bathroom. And I still missed a few things (cabinet door latch, outside 110 outlet, and a light switch that needs to be replaced).

Dslr
Explorer
Explorer
Great info all!! I'll take a look at what I can during the inspection and then just deal with any issues as they come.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
As a new owner I was surprised by,

1. The amount of maintenance my TT required vs my PUP.
2. The variations in gas mileage. It averages 10 mpg. But can drop very quick.
3. 60 mph and 250 to 300 miles a day on average.

I never appreciated the advantage of your own bed and closets, until recently when I traveled to Winnipeg and had to wrestle baggage and meals. We had very nice motels and restaurants, but being retired, we like to do things on our own timetable. It kind of spoils you.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.