cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Buy Inspection

Dslr
Explorer
Explorer
I know a lot of people have found issues on travel trailers before they leave the lot but in a lot of cases they find them on the first trip out. As a newbie, is there any recommendations for the pre-buy inspection? What should I make sure I look at before the trailer leaves the lot?

I did a search for pre-buy inspections, but nothing came up.
25 REPLIES 25

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Get on a ladder, look at the edges of the roof for complete caulk coverage. Do similar with the doors/windows/exterior lights, etc.

Add water to the tank and energize the water pump. Leave it on during the whole PDI. Verify that the water heater comes on. Open cabinets around the sinks and inside/outside showers, and check for plumbing leaks. Look behind the toilet before/after flushing it.

Open all access panels, verify (by touch too) that all the wire nuts and other connections are secure.

Verify that the battery is getting charged while plugged in. This is a good time to wrap a bit of red tape around the positive battery cable for future reference, as it is likely not identified otherwise.

Test the A/C, TV, radio, furnace and other propane appliances.

That's off the top of my head. There are comprehensive PDI lists around here somewhere. A good inspection of the running gear is not a bad idea either. These manufacturers have been known to leave the wheel bearing with just the minimum amount of grease.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Dslr wrote:
I know most of the stuff will probably be small items here and there. I read a couple posts about plumbing not being hooked up correctly. And some electrical issues. Is there anything you can really do for that or are you just left to figure it out during usage?

Thats when you have them hook up water and partially fill the fresh tank and use the city water as well. Turn on all electrical devices like the stereo, fridge, lights, fans, AC awning, etc. You have to go into the PDI with the mind set that you now own it. Not like you're still looking.
It is yours. So treat it like it's yours. You don't need permission to try things out.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Dslr wrote:
I know most of the stuff will probably be small items here and there.

And if you're lucky that's all they will be - "small".

I read a couple posts about plumbing not being hooked up correctly. And some electrical issues.

Key words - a "couple" posts. You're worrying over nothing.

Is there anything you can really do for that or are you just left to figure it out during usage?

As a newbie you're not going to know what to look for anyway so why worry about it? Take the rig out a few times, note what you don't understand or what doesn't seem to work as you thought it should, then later ask your dealer's service manager if you're concerned. If you've chosen a dealer wisely you have nothing to worry about - just go and enjoy your rig and take all that Chicken Little "sky is falling" nonsense you read here on the forums as just that - nonsense. :R

Don't worry, you'll survive this just fine. :B

x2 on all of this.

9 months after buying a new TT and becomming a newbie i am still learning and rv maintenance has become a second hobby. dealer showed us the basics, rv.net and tons of pinterest and youtube searching has done the rest. dealer technicians we worked with answered any questions we had but told us that youtube should become your best friend. dont overthink it, don't sweat it, go camping and gain experience.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dslr wrote:
I know most of the stuff will probably be small items here and there.

And if you're lucky that's all they will be - "small".

I read a couple posts about plumbing not being hooked up correctly. And some electrical issues.

Key words - a "couple" posts. You're worrying over nothing.

Is there anything you can really do for that or are you just left to figure it out during usage?

As a newbie you're not going to know what to look for anyway so why worry about it? Take the rig out a few times, note what you don't understand or what doesn't seem to work as you thought it should, then later ask your dealer's service manager if you're concerned. If you've chosen a dealer wisely you have nothing to worry about - just go and enjoy your rig and take all that Chicken Little "sky is falling" nonsense you read here on the forums as just that - nonsense. :R

Don't worry, you'll survive this just fine. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Dslr
Explorer
Explorer
I know most of the stuff will probably be small items here and there. I read a couple posts about plumbing not being hooked up correctly. And some electrical issues. Is there anything you can really do for that or are you just left to figure it out during usage?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dslr wrote:
As a newbie, is there any recommendations for the pre-buy inspection?

As a newbie there's no way you're going to remember everything so just accept the fact that you will come across issues your first few trips out and will likely want to have the dealer take a look at those issues later.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
During our pre-buy our salesman was very feature savvy. We opened every drawer, door and hatch and asked lots of questions most of which he had heard before I am sure.

During the PDI the technician showed us everything including how to light the oven, where the water pump, water heater and TV antenna crank were. We took pictures and had another tech show us where to put the jack to change a tire.

The dealer supplied the WD hitch as part of the TT deal. They explained the hitch setup so I would understand what it did and how it worked.

What did we miss? I took me a while to find the low point drains and since it was a used TT, several of the drawer slide mounts were broken. Apparently a common problem. I repaired them myself.

My DW and I are not afraid to ask questions and re-ask if we do not understand.

Remember, the dealer does not know how much camping stuff you can't live without, nor do they know the max cargo rating of your vehicle. They do not know if you boondock or KOA camp. They read the same truck info sheets you do.

The dealer wants to sell you the TT you want, not the one they think you should have.

We do have a number of well established dealership and we spent a long time deciding on what we wanted. We even rented a similar unit to see if we liked it on the road.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
in our last 4 pdi's we knew more about the units components than the technician Concern yourselves more with build rather than components. Avoid sales tricks

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
I spent some time on PDI but still I have found some small things here at home that I can fix in 10 min myself and as long as everything is in good working order this spring I'm good. I do have a good dealer just 5 miles away.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I prefer a slow, thorough PDI vs. the 20 minute version.
Check everything, every latch,switch handle drawer, valve, light,catch,
underneath, on top check it all.
Curb your enthusiasm and check it all. Do not let them rush you. Once complete let them know of your concerns. Inform them before your PDI that you plan to do a very thorough inspection.
I have purchased 2 new units. Neither ever returned to the dealer for warranty work.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Someone here has a list that would be helpful. Otherwise, if you can find a dealer with a stellar reputation that has been in business a very long time, don't sweat the long PDI and just plan on taking it back. No matter how good the PDI, if your picky (like me) you'll end up taking it back eventually anyway.
That's exactly what I did. My PDI lasted 20 minutes or less. I went back with a list (including a huge mistake) and they not only took care of me, they also went to bat for me with the manufacturer.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Scott