cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pressures for LT E Tires

hayesdt
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 F-150 came new with Passenger-rated tires, and I have been disappointed with the movement / squishiness / feeling of instability I get when towing our loaded 6500 lb. travel trailer.

So today Iโ€™m having load range E tires (up to 80 psi) put on my F-150 and not looking back. My questions are:
1. When towing my loaded 6500# travel trailer, how much air pressure should I use in the tires? and
2. How much pressure should I use when Iโ€™m not towing? I fully understand that with the E tires the ride will be rougher than my Passenger rated tires, but Iโ€™m not bothered by that.

Thanks.
DTH
2014 Ford F-150 STX, 4X4, 5.0 engine, 3.73 gearing paired with 2018 Keystone Hideout 202LHSTravel Trailer
26 REPLIES 26

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
E tires are a great upgrade for a half ton.
Donโ€™t make it out to be a science project as some would have you believe. And they do not ride any rougher than P or XL tires if you adjust the pressure.
Whatever pressures you liked with the P tires, E will ride the same at only nominally less. Remember itโ€™s air not the tires that hold the truck up.
Towing, you wonโ€™t adjust the front much if any. Rear, I canโ€™t imagine more than 50-60psi being necessary to stiffen up most loads. It wonโ€™t hurt anything to run them stiffer except your fillings in your teeth! And maybe a bit of tire wear if youโ€™re totally excessive.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
18 months ago I did the same. 2013 F150 , going from P to Michelin E rated. TT is about 6200 +/- loaded.
I contacted Michelin either by phone or chart, can't remember which, and they told me the E tires @ 55psi would equal the max load rating that the P tires had. Of course with stiffer sidewalls. No need to go to 80psi.

This. I did the same thing.

Michelin wanted info on the type and pressure of OEM tires, and then came back with the proper/equivalent psi for LT-Es.

Didn't get a new sticker though. Would have been nice.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
There is an industry-wide procedure for setting the recommended inflation pressures for your new tires. Itโ€™s very basic. The Original Equipment tires are the benchmark for all subsequent replacements. So, an experienced installer will ensure that the replacements are compatible with the OE wheels and that new valve stems will support the increased inflation pressures. The replacement tires, at the very minimum, MUST provide a load capacity - via inflation - equal to what the OE tires provided at the vehicle manufacturerโ€™s recommended inflation pressures found on the vehicle tire placard, certification label and in the vehicle ownerโ€™s manual. Inflation pressures between recommended and tire sidewall max are optional.

NHTSA allows the use of an auxiliary tire placard to describe such replacement tires. The new tire size and itโ€™s recommended cold inflation pressures should be depicted on such placard and it should be affixed adjacent to the OE placard. Notations should also be made in the vehicle ownerโ€™s manual.

Note: Inflation to the load carried is not a safe or acceptable procedure. Have you ever seen a motorized vehicle tire placard that didnโ€™t provide some percentage of load capacity reserves for the GVWR?

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
I use 48-50 rear for towing. Sometimes for short haul I don't even air up. E tires are like night vs day over P tires. You'll be happy.
-
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My old F150 came with LT-C tires (50 psi max) and the door says run at 36 psi.
I run 45 front and 50/60 in the rear. I now have E rated tires same size as oem.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"ONLY WAY" to know is go to the CAT scales empty and also fully loaded. Add 10psi of the front tires and 5 psi to the rear tires based on what the charts say for that tire. Do this and your tires will wear evenly and have the best stopping power.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

hayesdt
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
18 months ago I did the same. 2013 F150 , going from P to Michelin E rated. TT is about 6200 +/- loaded.
I contacted Michelin either by phone or chart, can't remember which, and they told me the E tires @ 55psi would equal the max load rating that the P tires had. Of course with stiffer sidewalls. No need to go to 80psi.

I run mine at 55 loaded for towing, 40 unloaded. Love the way they tow and are very stable. I have them rotated free at 5000mles. Wearing great so far. Ride a little rough but I don't mind that.

Thanks. Very helpful.
DTH
2014 Ford F-150 STX, 4X4, 5.0 engine, 3.73 gearing paired with 2018 Keystone Hideout 202LHSTravel Trailer

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I never could tell any difference over 60psi or so. But I try to run 70-75 loaded.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer

I run mine at 55 loaded for towing, 40 unloaded. Love the way they tow and are very stable. I have them rotated free at 5000mles. Wearing great so far. Ride a little rough but I don't mind that.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Look up the load inflation tables for the tire and go from there. They pressures are based on weight and the weight listed is per tire usually not per axle so if the rear axle of your truck weighs 3500lbs that is 1750 per tire and that is weight you would use for the pressure rating

example- in link scroll down to the light truck tire section starting on page L7 and from there find your tire size it will show you the inflation pressures needed for various weights up to the tire size max psi

http://fifthwheelst.com/documents/Goodyear_Tire_Inflation___Load_Charts.pdf
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
While changing tires try to find the rims PSI rating. It will be stamped on the rim somewhere. Many times inside the tire. Never exceed that. Just by being stiffer you will notice a huge difference evwn at 65 PSI.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
On my last half ton I had 'D' range tires and ran them at 65 (max sidewall). I'd run around 65 in the E as well. I never changed the pressure between loaded and unloaded (and don't do that now).

One thing to consider is if the factory rims have a maximum pressure rating; stuffing 80psi on the stock rims could be a hazard.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny