cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Probably a stupid questions (balls)

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you use any kind of a lubricant on the hitch ball?
32 REPLIES 32

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have used molly grease, marine grease, water pump grease and Vaseline. They all pick up dirt but so do the greased torsion bar mounts.

It is not hard to wipe the ball after each trip but the socket is a real pain. Eventually I just covered the ball with a can an leaned to avoid it when hitched.

Some folks run their ball with no lube but that never seemed right to me. Lubed or no lube you will wear the chrome off the ball in spots eventually.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Used to kept it mostly to the front since that was the load and it kept the rear clean for the pants problem. I now have an Andersen hitch and try to keep the ball clean so it is locked to the hitch. It does seem to wear on the ball a bit but lub would negate the units ability to reduce sway. Guessing wear is 2-4/1000ths over the 10,000 miles of use, about 15% not straight highway.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems you do what you feel is best for you... No one technique or use of grease or not using grease is right or wrong... Just what works best for you..

In my case, I squirt some grease on the ball and the WD bars when it looks like they are getting dry.. I've never wiped off the old grease..

I pull the hitch head and put it in the tongue and lock it in when in camp. I pull the hitch head and put it in the garage when I'm home.

When I tow my little utility trailer, I don't grease the ball at all.. It's only a little #2500 trailer, so no big deal, and no mess on the ball, since I store it in the truck..

Again, whatever works for you..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Always. I live mine at the beginning of the year. Wipe off the old grease in the middle of the season and regrease. I also grease the WD pivots so those don't wear.

Preventative maint!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Attending offroad races in the SoCal desert (where the wind seems to blow ALL THE TIME!), I would take a quart size baggie, put it over the ball, and put a zip-tie around the small area of the ball. Kept dirt and sand off the ball, so it's half of the problem. A large trash bag over the hitch solved the rest of the situation.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I lube mine about every trip. I wipe the ball off and put new lube on and when I get to where we are camping I slit a tennis ball 2 inches on one side and slip it over the ball. Keeps it clean. I have been doing it this way for over 55 yrs towing and very little wear on any of the different balls that I have used
samsontdog:o:W

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Wax paper occasionally.

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stopped lubing mine. The grease picks up grit and grinds the ball away. We tow on dirt roads a lot. If you stay on pavement, it is probably a good idea to lube.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I use a dab of white lithium grease. It works well, and lasts a long time.

And; I would rather have the stain on my jeans than spend another hour with a hammer and pry bar to get the coupler to open. That was a really bad way to spend my camping time.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever is in my grease gun.... and it never comes out of my jeans, just ask my wife...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
A small gob of axle grease, once a year, just after wiping the old stuff out of the coupler and off the ball with some paper towels. More often if I'm in a dusty/dirty locale with the ball sitting exposed so it picks up grit.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
I use bearing grease a couple times a year. Doesn't take much.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Metal on metal and your question is?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have noticed that the hitch is hard on the ball.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I like to use Vasoline. It does a good job and washes out of my jeans easy. :R