cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Product warning: Hopkins tail light converters

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to warn everyone about Hopkins tail light converters, available at Wal Mart.

I moved to Arizona not too long ago. I still have stuff in California, including a 4x8' trailer I let a friend borrow. (For about 8 years...)

I got the trailer back, and thankfully I used to live in the rural desert, so I took dirt roads home. I brought an older Japanese truck that gets excellent mileage for the eight hour drive, as I do not have a lot of money.

While in Arizona, I realized that this mini truck has separate tail and turn and brake lights, necessitating a tail light converter.

I live in Prescott, AZ, which is a horse and ranch town. The weather here is excellent, as is the political climate if you believe in individual freedom. (Just thought I'd throw that in there!)

I called C-A-L ranch stores, and Tractor Supply, to see if they had one- neither of them had the converter. Finally I went to Wal-Mart and found a Hopkins tail light converter for about $25. I bought it, wired it in to my truck, actually I soldered every connection, making sure they were solid.

Well, I get to California, and I discover the trailer lights are a total mess. I hook it to my truck and take dirt roads back to where I had been staying.

I manage to re wire the lights, and hook it to the tail light converter- and I get running lights... but nothing else. Just the faintest, smallest glow for the turn and stop. Barely noticeable, even in the dark!

Well, I went to visit a friend and brought the converter with me, expecting to exchange it while hanging out with him.

We exchanged it, I visited some family, and I drive back to the desert. I hook the new converter up and...

Same problem. It must be the ground, so I took extra precaution to clean it. I take jumper cables and make a clean ground, and hook it directly to the converter. Still. No lights.

I check my connection with a test light, an 1156 single filament bulb in a socket with wires attached.

Every connection I made was proper.

It is dark, now, and approaching ten O'Clock. I have to leave the next morning.

So, i drive to four different cities, using half a tank of gas, from Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart, until I find the one tail light converter one store had in stock.

Of course, when I got there, there returns department was closed, so I had to shell out another $25.

I try it in the parking lot.

Same *&%! THING. Tail lights and running lights work great, but turn signal, and brake lights, nothing but a tiny, faint glow.

I can't take it back. It's 11 at night and I am exhausted, with an 8-10 hour drive home early the next morning.

I end up returning home, and sleeping in from the exhaustion and frustration.

I left the next night, after resting.

Here's the interesting part.

I put two older pickup trucks I had on Craigslist up for sale. I get a bite immediately, so I begin clearing out the bed of one of them to show a potential buyer.

Lo and behold, a tail light converter I had removed from the truck years ago! It was at least thirty years old. Instead of having nine wires, like the Hopkins tail light converter, it only had five. No ground.

I hook it up to my original wiring... AND IT WORKED.

It got me home!

I am enclosing pictures of the Hopkins tail light converters and also the older converter that actually worked.

Cliff notes: Went across two state lines, five different cities, purchased three Hopkins Tail Light Converters, NONE of them worked.

Found a thirty year old converted in the back of an old pickup truck that worked perfectly.

Avoid Hopkins products at Wal-Mart.

Pics:

Culprits, all had the same problem

The one that worked! Dirty, old converter that worked

19 REPLIES 19

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
thetundrawolf wrote:

I'm not sure about the quality of the aforementioned convertor, but the installation is highly suspect sir. You are using household wirenuts that are meant for solid copper 12 gauge household wiring. You should NEVER use those for automotive applications.

#1 They are meant for solid copper, not wire strand that you find in automotive. They cannot "bite" into the wire and establish a good connection and they can vibrate off
#2 They aren't waterproof
#3 They appear to be way oversized. meant for 12 gauge solid... not what is likely 16 gauge or smaller wire strand

I would guess that the newer, thinner strand wiring probably wasn't getting a solid connection using the incorrect fasteners. The older convertor you ended up using probably has stiffer wires, which will temporarily mask the poor installation method. Give it a relatively short time, I am willing to bet that convertor "fails" to meet your standards then too.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Some people just shouldn't attempt wiring.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Hopkins from Walmart in a '91 Isuzu Trooper and pulled a utility trailer (4 pin harness) never had any issues. I had the extra wires and brake controller added by a trailer shop added along with the Hopkins and pulled a small TT (2700 lbs & pop up trailer. both had 7 pin harnesses and still didn't have any issues.

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
1156 lamps are single filament.
Taillight/brake lights use 1157.
If you put an 1156 in a 1157 socket you short the two circuits which caused an overload.
And you said to not buy from Walmart. The same product is available from other sources.

Please read what I posted!

The 1156 single filament bulb was my test light that I used to test the converter in the parking lot, and when I was wiring the lights on the trailer.

The brand new, out of the box, converter, acted the same with the 1156 bulb in the 1156 socket (The bayonet lugs won't even line up unless you shave one off) illuminated almost to no effect, artificial ground verified with the test bulb, with the new converter.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
1156 lamps are single filament.
Taillight/brake lights use 1157.
If you put an 1156 in a 1157 socket you short the two circuits which caused an overload.
And you said to not buy from Walmart. The same product is available from other sources.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
thetundrawolf wrote:
MM49 wrote:
I would suggest that you have an installation problem. Hopkins is a very well respected company in the RV business,
MM49

Did you read what I said? Really? I went off of my original wiring and the older one worked. I double, triple, and quadruple checked my wiring. Using an 1156 bulb and harness to simulate what I did.

Going from the input wires I had a BRIGHT LIGHT from the 1156.

Going OUT OF THE CONVERTER I had dim, almost unrecognizable light. I used an artifical ground just to make sure that part of the frame, what was also used to tail light grounds (I used the supplied connector with the converter. I cleaned the metal to a shine.) and still no output from all three converters.

Well, you can believe that. If you get one and have the same problem, it's not on me. I warned you.

It looks like they carefully hide the information in the instructions.
MM49

Instructions

Okay so let me get this straight. They make a tail light converter that is only good for...

A one bulb trailer?

Also, for the record, when I tested the third one I bought, I was using... Guess what, folks..

ONE BULB

(1156)

And guess what else...

It did the exact same thing the last two did. Filament took a while to warm up to where you could even see it glowing.

That was with...

That's right...

ONE BULB, as per the instructions. I warned you. You can listen, or you can ignore what I am telling you.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don`t know if it says it or not, but they need to be out of the elements. I`ve seen other converters do the same thing even before LED`s were popular! I think most are made by one supplier and then the individual companies put there sticker on it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
thetundrawolf wrote:
MM49 wrote:
I would suggest that you have an installation problem. Hopkins is a very well respected company in the RV business,
MM49

Did you read what I said? Really? I went off of my original wiring and the older one worked. I double, triple, and quadruple checked my wiring. Using an 1156 bulb and harness to simulate what I did.

Going OUT OF THE CONVERTER I had dim, almost unrecognizable light. I used an artifical ground just to make sure that part of the frame, what was also used to tail light grounds (I used the supplied connector with the converter. I cleaned the metal to a shine.) and still no output from all three converters.

Well, you can believe that. If you get one and have the same problem, it's not on me. I warned you.

It looks like they carefully hide the information in the instructions.
MM49

Instructions

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
YamaDooed wrote:
The output of a Hopkins 48895 is 2.1amps. You bought the wrong converter as a single 1156/1157 trailer light would require 2.1amps...

So even though I had it hooked up right, when it says, "LED Ready" what it really means is, "LED ONLY"?

It was the only tail light converter I could find.

Too bad it isn't for 99% of trailers out there.

I stand by my complaint.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
YamaDooed wrote:
The output of a Hopkins 48895 is 2.1amps. You bought the wrong converter as a single 1156/1157 trailer light would require 2.1amps...

do you mean that this was operator error, not Hopkins or walmart error?
bumpy

YamaDooed
Explorer
Explorer

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry guys. You have no idea the hell I went through. It might seem like I might not have had it installed right, but I did. (As evidenced by the fact that an old converter worked perfectly using the wiring that I did not change) I was and am so frustrated with the product. I am not mad at Wal-Mart.

Hopkins tail light converters are junk.

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
MM49

thetundrawolf
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Sounds like a Hopkins problem and not a Walmart bashing problem.
Tail light converters are available at my locations other then Walmart.
All the running around didn't do a thing. Why didn't you go to O'reilly's, Autozone or Napa?

Did I bash WalMart? No... I said it was available at WalMart.

I am saying the Hopkins product is no good.

I believe I went to autozone, who did not have it, so I ended up going other places. I am not bashing Wal-Mart! Where did you get that?