cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing our first TT - is this set up safe?

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everybody,

This will be our first TT. I've only towed tent trailers in the past. I was hoping for your advice if towing a 31BHPR (Premier by Ultra LIte by Bullet) will be too big of a jump? It weighs just under 6500lbs.

Also, is our set up safe? - My two vehicle is a 2014 Mercedes GL350 (diesel) with max tow of 7500lbs.

I appreciate any advice.

Thank-you
59 REPLIES 59

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:
onelv wrote:
Arizona Kid wrote:
6,500 is the dry weight, looks like 8,000 is the wet weight. Plus the tongue weight is 795.
Way too much trailer for your set up. Salesmen will say anything for a sale, even if it might endanger your families life. 😞

Shipping Weight 6457
Carrying Capacity 1543
Hitch 795
Length 35' 4"
Height 10' 11"
Fresh Water 41
Waste Water 30
Gray Water 30
LPG 40
Tire Size ST225/75R15D
Type Travel Trailers
Region All

thanks...I guess I'm looking for a different trailer model and new dealership!

What are your thoughts on this model-http://www.kodiak-rv.com/floorplan/ultimate-package/240bhsl/

I

I think you will be over the tongue weight if it's 600 lbs.
Have you looked at the Jayco line of light weight TT? They have a new Jay Smart coming in June, with European styling, that looks very interesting. Jay Smart
With your TV wheel base I wouldn't want to tow a trailer over 25'.

You are right...tongue weight is too heavy.

I'll take a look at the Jayco line.

There is limited information on the JaySmart, but looks VERY interesting. Thanks!!

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Hi OneLV and welcome to the forum. There are many light weight trailers out there that should fit your bill. You've told us about your tow vehicle, but I don't recall seeing any requirements or wishes for the RV. If we know kind of what you are thinking about we can probably come up with more than a few good trailers for you. On a total guess I looked at the Jayco Jay Feather line as I have a Jayco and it has treated me well. Jayco is also one of the few manufacturers that give you a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. Here's a link to the Jay Feather Ultra Lite X23B. Link It weighs 4,000 lbs with a 400lb tongue weight. On the down side it has only some 22 gallon waste tanks so it you think you'll be camping out in the boonies all the time you'll want some bigger tanks.

What do you envision for your trailer and are there kids or grandkids to be considered?

Sleeps xx amount minimum.
needs a slide out.
no slide out.
needs dinette seating.
needs a bathtub/shower, not just a shower.
needs to fit in a 30 foot storage spot.
needs bunk beds.
want a walk around island queen bed.
needs a couch.
needs a recliner or individual barrel chairs.
needs a large picture type window out the rear.
Needs two doors.

These are just some of the ideas and specs I could come up with quickly.

Good luck on your search
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
onelv wrote:
Arizona Kid wrote:
6,500 is the dry weight, looks like 8,000 is the wet weight. Plus the tongue weight is 795.
Way too much trailer for your set up. Salesmen will say anything for a sale, even if it might endanger your families life. 😞

Shipping Weight 6457
Carrying Capacity 1543
Hitch 795
Length 35' 4"
Height 10' 11"
Fresh Water 41
Waste Water 30
Gray Water 30
LPG 40
Tire Size ST225/75R15D
Type Travel Trailers
Region All

What are your thoughts on this model-http://www.kodiak-rv.com/floorplan/ultimate-package/240bhsl/

I

I think you will be over the tongue weight if it's 600 lbs.
Have you looked at the Jayco line of light weight TT? They have a new Jay Smart coming in June, with European styling, that looks very interesting. Jay Smart
With your TV wheel base I wouldn't want to tow a trailer over 25'.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay away from the Anderson hitch, I haven't found a single person that gets any decent weight transfer with it. Light is only good if it works.

The wheelbase will be your killer. Try to stay under 25'. Have you looked at the Lance campers?

Rear kitchen models have lower tongue weight, but the dished and such get rattled if you travel on rough roads. The part of the trailer behind the axles get the roughest ride.

How many people are normally in the vehicle? How about gear?

Look at your door jam sticker. GVWR? GCWR? RAWR? FAWR?

If you want to get as close to possible as max load up the vehicle with all the people and normal travel stuff, and head to the scale. Stop for fuel on the way. Get the FAW, RAW, GVW and then compare to your limits. Your towing ability will be GCWR minus GVW, I would subtract another 10% as a buffer. Take that number and multiply by .15, that's the upper end of tongue weight. If the calculated tongue weight puts your rear axle over the RAWR, or is higher than the hitch rating then you need to backwards plan off the tongue weight.

When you find the max you can tow look for trailers with that weight as their GVWR, not their brochure weight. The shorter the trailer the easier it will tow.

Back to hitches, the equal-I-zer is very effective at weight transfer and sway control. On that topic the tongue weight is calculated before the WDH transfers any weight, I.e. the load bars unhooked.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Link to the Kodiak

At least you're not like the other three or so this week that didn't like hearing their choice of trailer was above their towing capacity. Members here, know their rolling stock so standby for some good suggestions.

Best of luck in the hunt!

Thank-you. Yes, I really appreciate all the knowledge on this forum. Impressive.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Link to the Kodiak

At least you're not like the other three or so this week that didn't like hearing their choice of trailer was above their towing capacity. Members here, know their rolling stock so standby for some good suggestions.

Best of luck in the hunt!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid wrote:

Shipping Weight 6457
Carrying Capacity 1543
Hitch 795
Length 35' 4"
Height 10' 11"
Fresh Water 41
Waste Water 30
Gray Water 30
LPG 40
Tire Size ST225/75R15D
Type Travel Trailers
Region All

I

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer

Shipping Weight 6457
Carrying Capacity 1543
Hitch 795
Length 35' 4"
Height 10' 11"
Fresh Water 41
Waste Water 30
Gray Water 30
LPG 40
Tire Size ST225/75R15D
Type Travel Trailers
Region All

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Lol. The salesman said it would be fine? Lol. Yeah, its fine that hes not pulling it.

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
I tow with the MB GL450 and it has the same capacities. Your biggest issue will be staying within the 600# tongue weight. MB doesnt give you more if you use a weight distr. hitch so you will need an ultra light with a tongue weight near 500#. Models with rear kitchen, rear entertainment have the lowest hitch weights. Also get the Anderson WDH its the lightest and does a great job controling sway. My trailer is a Dutchmen Kodiac 242RESL?

Thank-you for the advice. I'll look into the Anderson WDH. I have noted the tongue weight as well.

Sweet trailer btw!

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Is 6500# the real weight, or the brochure weight? Most TT's weigh 300-500# more than the advirtised weight due to the "optional" equipment that's really standard. And you'll have 700-1000# of gear once you're ready to go.

What's the GCVW on the Mercedes? And the payload? I have a feeling that it'll be way too much trailer for the GL350.

What's the wheelbase on the Mercedes? Even with a good hitch I have a feeling it'll be a case of the tail wagging the dog.

And don't listen to the salesman when he says "Sure, you can tow that." All he wants to do is make a sale and has no legal requirement to make sure you're safe.

Thanks!! I know the wheelbase is 121.0", I'll have to look up the GCVW and the payload.

Yes, the TT weighed 6400lbs with all the included options and the salesman said it was fine? hmmm

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with the MB GL450 and it has the same capacities. Your biggest issue will be staying within the 600# tongue weight. MB doesnt give you more if you use a weight distr. hitch so you will need an ultra light with a tongue weight near 500#. Models with rear kitchen, rear entertainment have the lowest hitch weights. Also get the Anderson WDH its the lightest and does a great job controling sway. My trailer is a Dutchmen Kodiac 242RESL?
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

Is 6500# the real weight, or the brochure weight? Most TT's weigh 300-500# more than the advirtised weight due to the "optional" equipment that's really standard. And you'll have 700-1000# of gear once you're ready to go.

What's the GCVW on the Mercedes? And the payload? I have a feeling that it'll be way too much trailer for the GL350.

What's the wheelbase on the Mercedes? Even with a good hitch I have a feeling it'll be a case of the tail wagging the dog.

And don't listen to the salesman when he says "Sure, you can tow that." All he wants to do is make a sale and has no legal requirement to make sure you're safe.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

onelv
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
onelv wrote:
Hi Everybody,

This will be our first TT. I've only towed tent trailers in the past. I was hoping for your advice if towing a 31BHPR (Premier by Ultra LIte by Bullet) will be too big of a jump? It weighs just under 6500lbs.

Also, is our set up safe? - My two vehicle is a 2014 Mercedes GL350 (diesel) with max tow of 7500lbs.

I appreciate any advice.

Thank-you
First of all, welcome to the Forum.

If that 6500# is the empty weight, figure 1000# more once loaded.
And that 7500# tow rating assumes a 150# driver in the vehicle. Any more than that has to be subtracted from the 7500#.
Can your GL350 available payload rating handle a 1000# tongue weight along with all occupants and "stuff"?
I suspect you are going to over your ratings, both GVWR, GAWR and trailer weight. Maybe even hitch ratings as well.
Towing would likely not be a fun experience.

Thanks!! What do you think is the max weight of the TT I should be shopping for?

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
onelv wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I appreciate any advice.

Thank-you
First of all, welcome to the Forum.

If that 6500# is the empty weight, figure 1000# more once loaded.
And that 7500# tow rating assumes a 150# driver in the vehicle. Any more than that has to be subtracted from the 7500#.
Can your GL350 available payload rating handle a 1000# tongue weight along with all occupants and "stuff"?
I suspect you are going to over your ratings, both GVWR, GAWR and trailer weight. Maybe even hitch ratings as well.
Towing would likely not be a fun experience.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.